New Dobinsons VT series dual rate coils (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Has anyone had issues with the 2.5” VT springs yielding a much taller than advertised lift? I know the 3.5” VT is rated heavy, maybe that’s why people are getting a bigger lift. My 80 is also fully armored, it’s on stock suspension right now and it’s stupid low to the ground.
Across the board People have been getting more lift with Dobinson springs.
I run the C97-146VT 2.5" lift spring and I'm getting 31/4" of lift even with a winch, bumper 78LBs group 31 battery in front.

I think the main issue is that the springs are designed and made in Australia, where People like to spend extended time in the Outback loading up there rig with more of everything. JMHO

I'm on the 1st generation C97-146VT's up front and I'm sitting right at 23.8" with a Short Bus and ComeUp 9.5 This is definitely higher than expected but I do like the springs.

When you cut a turn out of a stack section you will only lower ride height the thickness of the wire that is removed. Meaning if the wire thickness is 14mm then that is how much lower the rig will sit.
So if you are looking to lower the front 1" then it would be better to install a coil with less lift then space up to desired height.

I run the C97-146VT 2.5" lift spring and I'm getting 31/4" of lift even with a winch, bumper 78LBs group 31 battery in front.

I think the main issue is that the springs are designed and made in Australia, where People like to spend extended time in the Outback loading up there rig with more of everything. JMHO
Good to know. Sounds like the 2.5” option is exactly what I want if it actually goes you over 3” lift.

Do you have a picture of how the truck sits on this setup? Sounds like you got similar weight to mine, I also got the slee bumpers

That issue has kept me from moving to Dobinson springs.

Has anyone had issues with the 2.5” VT springs yielding a much taller than advertised lift? I know the 3.5” VT is rated heavy, maybe that’s why people are getting a bigger lift. My 80 is also fully armored, it’s on stock suspension right now and it’s stupid low to the ground.
My 80 is 6,200 lbs and I got 4” of lift the original dobinsons 2.5” springs. It seems like people are having more luck with the new version of the vt springs

Do you have a picture of how the truck sits on this setup? Sounds like you got similar weight to mine, I also got the slee bumpers
It's not your average ride !
1652798658236.png

Sitting on 39s with a lot of cutting done right. ;)

Almost had to trim the A-pillar!! haha
This set up works incredibly well, the low lift on big tires is very stable.

The rock sliders are molded into the rockers allowing more ground clearance at brake-over and making it look taller then it is.

The VT springs are the forth set I have run and by far the best for the kind of wheeling that I do. And the best on road ride, vary happy with them.

You just have to order according, 1" less then what you want🤷‍♂️
Too cumbersome, too much guesswork. The (slightly used) OME Js will have to do, for now. Dobinson shocks work great, though.

Last edited:
I purchased Dobinsons Variable Rate Tapered Coil Springs (3.5" Front Heavy)(C97-144VT) in April of last year. I posted previously that my front end height was much higher than expected and they have not settled at all. I'm considering cutting one ring off the top to lower the front end a little bit. It's only going to lower the truck anywhere from 1/2" to 3/4" which will be perfectly safe. I'm not a fan of going this route but it's my only option.

My front end is not light with dual batteries (group 24), 10K winch with synth line, and ARB bumper. With me standing on the bumper (215lb), I'm only able to compress the front end by about 1/2".
Same here. I ended up at about 4.5" of lift compared to what it should have been at stock. Similar front end setup. Pretty massive change considering how much the OEM springs were sagging and going from what I think were around 31" tires to 37". It's closer to 5.5" of lift accounting for the sag. Overall though w/ the rear bumper and swingouts it sits pretty level but yeah way more than I anticipated.

Agreeing with pretty much everyone above. I run 3.5" VTs up front and the 3" in the back. Netted me a 5" lift over all with bumpers, winches, swing outs, spares, etc. etc.

Agreeing with pretty much everyone above. I run 3.5" VTs up front and the 3" in the back. Netted me a 5" lift over all with bumpers, winches, swing outs, spares, etc. etc.
What are your hub to fender measurements? 5" from old stock suspension maybe but not a true 5" of lift when measured properly I'm sure

Lets ask what Dobinson considers stock height.
Center of hub to bottom of fender flare.
Front panhard bolt spread.
Front bump stop to axle pad.
Etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom