New Dobinsons VT series dual rate coils (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've used 20" front and 21" rear as stock height, but I know there's a debate about what real OE was, and also different models around the world coming in at different heights when new is also something I heard of. No doubt about it, Dobinsons will always lift on the taller side of the scale, but without added weight, the VT coils are overkill in my opinion. I only like to sell them for heavier rigs.

I don't have the actual specs of them, sorry. Not since they changed.
Has anyone verified that the 90-92, 93-94 and 95-97 flares all have the same gap below the actual fender? Could the stock hub to flare distance be varied due to flare differences in years?

That's a nice looking rig! I see it's an import, with an OEM rear tire carrier. It looks really nice. Is that the original paint, and if so can you share with us the paint code? It looks similar too, but a bit different than, my Nightshadow Pearl rig, which is paint code 8K0 (that's a final zero, not the letter O.)
Thanks! Yes it's original and also nightshadow pearl 8k0. It has different hues of blue from certain angles and lighting, also a little purple in some spots. I like to think of it as Toyota's version of midnight purple but more subtle.

but without added weight, the VT coils are overkill in my opinion. I only like to sell them for heavier rigs.

I have some months of use and some serious wheeling under the belt for the 144/145. Up front they ride great with zero extra weight, it’s a 6” lift, exactly what I wanted to run 38’s, which I’m doing without any front fender trimming.

The rear needs some weight - I carry my spare flat back there plus spare axles and driveshaft and tools but it’s empty right now as I upgrade my spare to a 38. Ride is too taught and lift is up to 6.5”. I figure I have 250 lbs loaded up normally and it’s right on comfort wise and lift matches the front.

Off-road…they are just money. 38s make a big difference over 37’s and the extra bit of lift have transformed my 80. It is so stable, they soak up everything. I had a couple of occasions 1) slipping partway down a huge climb dumping to the side so bad it spooked my spotters but felt like not much in the cab (see vid below) and 2) kicking a rear too far up a high line under throttle and with a front tire way off the ground it all just calmly settled down as it went through. I have the Timbren bump stops front and rear and they are a perfect compliment, no sway bars.

Stability and balance are the biggest things. This setup is really confidence inspiring including pretty bad off camber situations, but again, that’s where dual rate coils really shine in my book.

305F1CE9-F207-479D-8BC6-EC12FE8A9B9C.jpeg

BA316020-B917-47C0-A3E5-12690C8C65D4.jpeg

ED3ECC15-EC32-46F7-80AC-095DF99F5A32.jpeg

0A151002-A89D-4317-832F-6681016BF6D4.jpeg

B6D9921A-0F5C-48F0-A02A-2E9087DC2483.jpeg

Last edited:
This is a good example of letting it walk - it’s just so stable and the recovery on each corner is on point as weight shifts.

This thing is a wall going up - clearance and tire or it’s not happening. Also: hand throttles rock.

Last edited:
Not sure what to say about this one, but of course will say something. Backing off Whale’s Tale lined up too far right, the left dumps into the middle. Never felt that bad in the cab, slomo shows it. We lined it back up after this and I put the nose all the way up again in the right position, but we decided it wasn’t worth it even though the Patagonia MT’s pretty much climb walls. It’s hard to pull the trigger on this line without a longer wheelbase, because the consequences of going left once you commit are pretty high and it’s not clear even with this much tire and lift that breakover angle is good enough to not send it left due to a high point on the right at the apex where our sliders (typically) drop to protect the cats.

The point here, I think, is these coils plus the Timbren bumps really let you think about lines that might not have been in play with the stock links. It’s insanely stable doing stupid s***, and that’s a lot of fun. Why we are still talking about adding entirely unnecessary amounts of weight to these rigs for camping parties is beyond me :flipoff2:. These coils give a perfect lift if you let them and the performance is so good - never thought I could fit 38’s cleanly, and this is a true to size 38, but I only have a little bit of tweaking over 37” fitment and it’s finally enough tire for this pig.

I just installed the 145VT in the rear and my rig clocks in at 7100#s, with approx 1100 lb added over the rear axle. I have a heavy arse kitchen in the pass rear cargo which is contributing to the 1/2" lower on that corner. Plus add the spare tire swing+ alum 10# propane tank + 5gal jerry can potable water in that corner :).

I've added one 5mm + one 10mm ARB trim packers in the pass rear corner to compensate but maybe should've used two 10mm trim packers, which I don't have.

I'm running non VT springs up front, linear 3" Dobinsons.

sytKswcUHZu-9fdflu3AUM-DhKd_w4jdhNk4ZOqiQHmihCGGUP8DrCIkVdYjDVOJDmfiJpeZeLKMZHlYGlPPgr_nPQPdBq6XWb0ApzwdBIavVREdBF5ecTupgsA1Zw8kb_sn-kKxN7K7mVyPYWCKmF8fHY6AP6Qg37xM8LliZ-bm5Axu8kJ0sVFqAKBzLTvjAPkngTxYFv0qoOv53weMBW-UGv_fCF-gznCMZZxrTx1un8D9wkumTt_PYa06mc13V2EP-VTngmDXTyYOg86vCczDBdhdOca5WoDnub2yPeR1P1uigEI3HLHnZofF2Xb7LO6JdZ0gh1sU3kyG-RZnNFH_rtOkRZ_mqv7X5IZ1OSh9dIVo-UaDBcjzPnTl1ah30W-YmivjC0m5Z_pC-Md3dFxV4bdTDClFVJ3cjhLEeKnZuFXUFjwKV9rQNsCnqzj2NaMcyx6fDZYkk2f7gM0QzdG24nxKyVlGwfBl3bqaxmkHUzhSY9spxB57OgAm7I4TU50XJzfVZyg_QWMBflvOsqby3iO6Mq4mW19XeDd7xyGkzTg0JZMeIhP2IVLwllrC9lADdn_EFNwHKUEu7qD32YRNHuu6RvD6Ab9xV5B6lABUEZIy_fF8JhnnVJP1Yw3gqifsGTS0YdlmCxt1P4tK9vsHY8diR7FwacWUSiXR4agrh8UgRjDgl6Z8Oypk-Yk4jt5jrvHwiGgo2KePhXyEvdHL=w1565-h880-no

1yRcNcHwB0gh7vPXKDKb0MnR2i0_dD-AmDvATr5S2oGqJBo_7kgWEK8gIVGrgprbsYlMVcBu_9DUcidekpmV35hPxAv7IiBvyv278MT_dcFtaWwFbTnNRxZr-ExghJ-gVPX6o0eA4AwKp5ayGYOMe1vbtmFDPkhauf5AgXUIbpFbkoqt-4ZTHZ2ibAwvQqx0fMr-q8G65JaDkXTMske7fmWd9NC-Gd81mGIxYixMNcmZQlesH3JBepO8_jFSUIFdbbyxysrTp_vamGc7Rx6YCZzy1Yht-MbKTpiujnwuHTTQiuzspshhfKjpx4EwU6B9w1rYWCVAmX97_5sj_Wvf8f4BQ_DLGjmMYePoUZxYr_88ysVtjSB-hv8QNrB6AWQnOp9zc-6wlTOcmwciBQjqz3iNrCWzaOt4QNeysQ7EqNomHGqXAnz30cBhMoWE1LRRRkbVMPLfGYYINh0Y6k5RHP0zuemIf7fnutMOKNktyKDhA9eQjICOamuBn2GRKwOEKwzMvuyRd20Uzp_Rnrvqj4wBMC5W649CYHCb26aOp0TmDQLgXvq1uyOX106zd7-Z69NNBxF215uYixdYdFN9rQ_zd7ivhq40Qi1bKBgFGHF0lPc-eYNiZQcJCCGdbY3wcWWtwHYoozLYUyDXL98Ouq0ufrMSSJT3qtBfflx_J726lyK8mHEOkyevldbTuQeJklgaRk8jh8dUVguLY5B5esQt=w495-h880-no
L7A3z-PH0o-jA34EoVHInJk6lL1pfouWINGOD5k4PxWGaP1e8Sxs98083x8xU4Qy5yDbQe9z5tCKUp98AA-iqcPi63PYoKJlXMkjxle-qxqw2kOEVJUIMl614BA_tZ5ZZir2oL7keCEwXnPG5DjCgJNeiipImZ_RNkW6chPZZaGWRQPoeujLte8-qpX1PU4h8oFhpVCPmJxQMrhdQM8jeT7XjkhaeCLOxJxHLiSB5HA0eMN4C1eu7-NfNGrMrpCqhNNsqVcmUi-H61kNHE9kV0f_Dh7OxZY4awou_O0sjhJDcpGAiCMHMcXlFQOF21-oovT7P7ZebReQaquQVlivdWmd9fewGZvb0zvWAlTuqEdxYS6g7Oz6HFpjZsrhbtgxdD4wl2Mtk05uUYwE9zlrKLvEs4j9PIp_ieWP-kZXTzIbmHsXYo7Lft_yTa7Thw9wbH3pLWN-r_rx2HV651vTEVqMPKrsPRaZf7UKHPHoA2bh2XF8PomoGsyglbnd3ijgfmDe7dl8EjlmNS_L-ZkARFdPAYCt4IKFwiUtzVoCiM_KsdD31dzz-ethNhqKCxZGPKgCjAtP9-Y7_7IbM5uVms6lmPnkPozanCA3qmAhEnACfGyFDROQtRWbNDHWm7BJIRbnGhxmoX8xfKXDXNjZMfiMmut8IRXgHSlQRVzAiH8AGRBdUyHj3waJN5ZsaoiAFBNtC0C8IuCzD-IqvUJ7bO5X=w495-h880-no

NNjWvXjtJr57PN0A-QG4ApG1NeQH9qVj7-dIeTJjjR9W7W-BaHpZ2mQydoHQyGFskN2AJFUuJwMxfiRSAhXsIDot4GOl9dUpDN5_Krr6eTDbOXpLuyMHmnKQVUzNkFPyQnE9O5V0HnRACV1HNrmrPWqXTXBYDB2kYkP9kkvG6o_aHC2MflULILOyB1n0U1cRi7Lg4oKGpFjZ-SNL-U7nvQXAw2S8P1QMwOBL-ee82y7zVTjrskI7vFlj7sABkisFB-6KfmLxJwiYU-v4iC56jf95dFveooLFweMH5Hf1y94K5NVDU1Pmc14-NBMNH3jkBamagQnXXWtw5LNuQceRgQqM6QayrsDBkxxapbqH99USYYiH9CaCAjtgT-yzME3TUTJ0I4cCAuvKJvc_nAbl6dCIcoDideYReLpIeUwNzxl9t9PIkq7bI38wPz_FTPtraQy_CchcDygXz-0Xt9hhQ6MfHedsIrPUJquH4uFC8ZbUJ7QFmvzBztUpCIie3is6Y4o4zeV6xvs7Iq6TJe_ugEp1ytPTfRcFxQoW4Zw6952fXZMLjHwkYEWv8Tx8y4NKDYZFupFxzrSaqD2C4O61KZnSFcscxvftxxhhR_V5-lTw5TZjtVqa_U-UZozZnbySZ5GYahHNdOEgcPYGz6oWMEKNrvha_peEqCAeDU2mnav32bwEjKXOcOwRK7BRJbBGvQWze9RF-Cfm5rDjIlysSpXc=w660-h880-no

Anyone tried pairing the tapered C97-146VT front with the variable C59-223V rear?

I'll be running bumpers, sliders, dual battery, steel line 8274, and a couple days of tent camping gear on mild trails.

In theory this setup would keep me between 2-3” at all times, but a c59-222V in the front + spacer might be an easier way to skin that cat.

Leaning IMS all around.

Thoughts @crikeymike ?

Anyone tried pairing the tapered C97-146VT front with the variable C59-223V rear?

I'll be running bumpers, sliders, dual battery, steel line 8274, and a couple days of tent camping gear on mild trails.

In theory this setup would keep me between 2-3” at all times, but a c59-222V in the front + spacer might be an easier way to skin that cat.

Leaning IMS all around.

Thoughts @crikeymike ?
VT coils are pretty much always matched front and rear. I've not had anyone do this combination you've suggested.

Or you could run 222/223V and add a spacer for more height if needed.

VT coils are pretty much always matched front and rear. I've not had anyone do this combination you've suggested.

Or you could run 222/223V and add a spacer for more height if needed.
222/223 is probably the direction I'm headed- seems to be a nice practical height without major drive line vibe risk for a guy that doesn't go hardcore in the rocks.

Thanks for the feedback.

Not sure what to say about this one, but of course will say something. Backing off Whale’s Tale lined up too far right, the left dumps into the middle. Never felt that bad in the cab, slomo shows it. We lined it back up after this and I put the nose all the way up again in the right position, but we decided it wasn’t worth it even though the Patagonia MT’s pretty much climb walls. It’s hard to pull the trigger on this line without a longer wheelbase, because the consequences of going left once you commit are pretty high and it’s not clear even with this much tire and lift that breakover angle is good enough to not send it left due to a high point on the right at the apex where our sliders (typically) drop to protect the cats.

The point here, I think, is these coils plus the Timbren bumps really let you think about lines that might not have been in play with the stock links. It’s insanely stable doing stupid s***, and that’s a lot of fun. Why we are still talking about adding entirely unnecessary amounts of weight to these rigs for camping parties is beyond me :flipoff2:. These coils give a perfect lift if you let them and the performance is so good - never thought I could fit 38’s cleanly, and this is a true to size 38, but I only have a little bit of tweaking over 37” fitment and it’s finally enough tire for this pig.

Would have been way easier on 39s 🤷‍♂️

Can someone recommend where to order the Dobinson's lift kit (MRR shocks with VT coils)? Looking for the 2.5" option along with their rear upper and lower control arms and possibly adjustable steering stabilizer.

Is everyone ordering on Dobinson's Direct or is there a Mud vendor that knows these kits?

Can someone recommend where to order the Dobinson's lift kit (MRR shocks with VT coils)? Looking for the 2.5" option along with their rear upper and lower control arms and possibly adjustable steering stabilizer.

Is everyone ordering on Dobinson's Direct or is there a Mud vendor that knows these kits?

exitoffroad.com
@crikeymike

@crikeymike

Hello @David Otero , I have not officially asked you the specs of the newer VT coils.
Free height, turns, wire thicknes & rates of 144/145VT also 146/147VT.

Im asking for my friends...it will of course go on the 80 series suspension thread.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Gary

Mine came from DeltaVS.

I purchased Dobinsons Variable Rate Tapered Coil Springs (3.5" Front Heavy)(C97-144VT) in April of last year. I posted previously that my front end height was much higher than expected and they have not settled at all. I'm considering cutting one ring off the top to lower the front end a little bit. It's only going to lower the truck anywhere from 1/2" to 3/4" which will be perfectly safe. I'm not a fan of going this route but it's my only option.

My front end is not light with dual batteries (group 24), 10K winch with synth line, and ARB bumper. With me standing on the bumper (215lb), I'm only able to compress the front end by about 1/2".

I purchased Dobinsons Variable Rate Tapered Coil Springs (3.5" Front Heavy)(C97-144VT) in April of last year. I posted previously that my front end height was much higher than expected and they have not settled at all. I'm considering cutting one ring off the top to lower the front end a little bit. It's only going to lower the truck anywhere from 1/2" to 3/4" which will be perfectly safe. I'm not a fan of going this route but it's my only option.

My front end is not light with dual batteries (group 24), 10K winch with synth line, and ARB bumper. With me standing on the bumper (215lb), I'm only able to compress the front end by about 1/2".

Post back up if you end up doing this. I'm in the same boat. I need to drop the front end an inch or so.

Has anyone had issues with the 2.5” VT springs yielding a much taller than advertised lift? I know the 3.5” VT is rated heavy, maybe that’s why people are getting a bigger lift. My 80 is also fully armored, it’s on stock suspension right now and it’s stupid low to the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom