Steering Column Bushing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know where I can get a lower steering column bushing for my 78 FJ40? I have attached a photo from SOR.com, it is part #47 which they do not have. While replacing the rag joint, I noticed the the lower end of the steering column was very sloppy. When I took the column apart the only thing left of the bushing seemed to just be what looked like rotted foam.

Has anyone out there made there own bushing or found an aftermarket replacement?

Any help is greatly apperciated.
Thank you,
Vern
Steering Parts.gif

go to man -a- fre.com look under saganaw steering compontants they have three kinds. one bolts on the others press on i got mine from them

Does anyone know where I can get a lower steering column bushing for my 78 FJ40? I have attached a photo from SOR.com, it is part #47 which they do not have. While replacing the rag joint, I noticed the the lower end of the steering column was very sloppy. When I took the column apart the only thing left of the bushing seemed to just be what looked like rotted foam.

Has anyone out there made there own bushing or found an aftermarket replacement?

Any help is greatly apperciated.
Thank you,
Vern

I used a post 1980 BJ/FJ urethane suspension bush there which worked great!

I seem to remember boring it out slightly and then cutting one side of it lengthwise for easy fitment.

(Ended up far better than the OEM foam IMO.)

:cheers:

Last edited:
I just replaced the rag joint on my 78 and experienced the same thing. I think it's a weather seal - I've just left it off for now, and put things back together. If it's a solid - full circle bushing it means I'll need to take more apart than I just did for the rag joint to get it on.

I haven't called Toyota yet - are you saying the OME part is not available? I show part # 45292 SEAL on my last printout from the dealership.

Thank you everyone that replied. I took your advice and went to the nearest bearing supplier and was able to get a flanged .750 ID & 1.375 OD bearing that fits perfect. If anyone wants the bearing info just let me know.

Thank you again,
Vern

Thank you everyone that replied. I took your advice and went to the nearest bearing supplier and was able to get a flanged .750 ID & 1.375 OD bearing that fits perfect. If anyone wants the bearing info just let me know.

Thank you again,
Vern
I'd love to get that bearing info , please.

I have a cheap flanged bearing. but have since found out that it’ll likely give me grief since it’s not sealed. One of the sponsored vendors has frequently had to replace them with sealed ones.

Look for bearings for Saginaw steering conversions. I’ll check when I have more time.

In the meantime, run without it… I never had one for 28 years with the stock box.

You can get a bearing from your local lawn mower repair shop.. they are typically used as wheel bearings in riding mowers.
This thread has good info and part numbers. If you have the rag joint on the end of the steering shaft, you'll have to disassemble the column and slide the shaft out the bottom end of the column.

I did the lawnmower bearing. Works great!

0219237E-0FCC-4A2F-AC0B-D5073A540F48.jpeg

Last edited:
Found a bearing that fitted the end of the steering column perfectly but was slightly too small for for the shaft. I turned down the shaft a bit with a grinder . Perfect fit and adios free play and noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom