Run of the Month (ROTM) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking for volunteers to do some ROTMs.
We need ROTMs starting in January.
Thank you.

None in December?

I Would really like to be more involved going forward
This is in December.

Still looking for future ROTMs.

There is one in December 2021, but none scheduled after that.

Come on man!

I can plan one for February with some feedback on what kind of run will draw the masses. I have tried to ease back on beating up my 80 so much, and have really enjoyed simply being out with folks around the fire. Are there any really good Phoenix area runs that have some good points and may not be prime options in the summer months?

Jason

I can plan one for February with some feedback on what kind of run will draw the masses. I have tried to ease back on beating up my 80 so much, and have really enjoyed simply being out with folks around the fire. Are there any really good Phoenix area runs that have some good points and may not be prime options in the summer months?

Jason
FR393 is a good trip. So is Sunflower Mine

Sunflower Mine sounds like a good one to look at doing. I'll see what I can put together.
Actually...I have never run Crown King, and think that needs to be remedied. I find mixed reviews about the difficulty level, as well as the camping options in the area. Unless anyone has any strong feedback against it as a ROTM, I think I would like to run it.

Fire away please, I don't know the area. Cheers.

Actually...I have never run Crown King, and think that needs to be remedied. I find mixed reviews about the difficulty level, as well as the camping options in the area. Unless anyone has any strong feedback against it as a ROTM, I think I would like to run it.

Fire away please, I don't know the area. Cheers.
Crown King is a very highly trafficked trail that is probably best enjoyed during a week day. I drove it in late October and it was much as I had remembered with ample challenges and bypasses. The end of the trail has a small general store and a restaurant. This time of year the upper part can get a fair amount of snow, it definitely changes the complexity but adds to its beauty. If running it on a weekend just be prepared for long day.

An alternate to consider is Smiley Rock, slightly lower in elevation, part of the Great Western Trail, and a little less travelled. Definitely add this to your must do trails.

Jason, whatever run you pick I’m sure you will have plenty of company.

I'm certainly in for Crown King and am actually considering doing it one day this week. I haven't done it since 2018 now that I think about it, and I have heard that its gotten worse. Particularly the rock garden bypassing the mining operation. Apparently the guy that owns the mine continuously moves boulders around to try and make it harder/impassable and he may now be in conflict with BLM or Forest Service over his blocking of the road. Thats all rumor though.

I'm off all week, so trying to get as much trail time in as possible.

Last edited:
I did that rock garden in 2019. That was new to me from previous runs. Was not a fan.

I did that rock garden in 2019. That was new to me from previous runs. Was not a fan.

Yeah, that must have started in 2017 or 2018 when the mining guy tried to make the trail completely impassable.

It has been about a year and a half since I have done crown king (right when covid shutdowns started) and I was happy to see that the track had gotten much more difficult. That rock garden was pretty bad, and even worse with 2ft of water coming down it after a storm. I got to do it forward and reverse, since there were a few big boulders blocking the drainage near the end. The miner was nice enough that day to let us pass through his property and go around the creek, pretty sure he dug those boulders out immediately so people wouldn't bother him. In 2019 and wet it was still a bit easier than sunflower mine loop.

There area several options for making crown king a multi day run by linking a few trails in the area. From crown king you can loop back towards I17 via desoto mine loop (cool trail), back to lake pleasant or kirkland junction via Minnehaha or taking senator highway to prescott. The last several times I went back to PHX through Minnehaha, thats a nice trail and has very little traffic. Id call it the "other" back way to crown king. Also a ton of mines, history and other cool stuff to see in the area.

I am going to try and the the Casner permit for the weekend of October 7-9, 2022. Once again, even if I don't get the permit I will be going camping up on the rim.

Curious when the second half runs were being issued? A month from today the first half ends. Those were issued two month ahead of the first scheduled date.

I plan to lead my usual run in November, but with Rug Road being pretty much neutered by the Forestry Service running a planer up the stairs, it is much more of a stocker friendly run. I am happy to still lead it if we want an easier run, or if we want a more challenging trail, I can find a new November trail.

I plan to lead my usual run in November, but with Rug Road being pretty much neutered by the Forestry Service running a planer up the stairs, it is much more of a stocker friendly run. I am happy to still lead it if we want an easier run, or if we want a more challenging trail, I can find a new November trail.
How's the Mammoth side, "rug" part? That seemed to be the knarly part years ago.

How's the Mammoth side, "rug" part? That seemed to be the knarly part years ago.
Everything up to and just past Carpet Hill is still pretty rough. Once you get up top out of the valley on to the high ground over Aravaipa Canyon, it is all easy and smooth.

Everything up to and just past Carpet Hill is still pretty rough. Once you get up top out of the valley on to the high ground over Aravaipa Canyon, it is all easy and smooth.
And there is a bypass to Carpet Hill if desired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom