LX570 AHC Globe/Accumulator Replacement (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dup.

Last edited:
Has anyone else successfully installed without the backup washers? I'm trying to order the washers but they appear to be backordered with no ETA for restock. Based on baktashts reply I wonder if it's ok just to proceed without them
I installed mine with no washer.

When I removed my originals from my 2011, there was no washer…and when I asked the dealer, the washer wasn’t listed as an available part for my 2011.

I think the washer was listed as a part for some older lx570’s.

No issues so far with no backup washer after 500 or so miles.

Solid thread. Just used the info to refresh my globes. It was great to know going in that the Slee sliders would not interfere. Thanks @grinchy

Couple more notes
- Impact gun works wonders to take the globes off. Started with a breaker bar but didn't like how it was causing things to flex even without an extension, and the need to keep the socket square on the low profile nut so as not to round it off. 500 lbft pneumatic gun made easy work of it. If you have access to that, or one of the fancy new battery ones, highly recommended
- Backup washer not needed. My original 2009 globes had them. Difference is that the rubber o-ring seat/channel on the original were much wider - hence the need for a backup "spacer" washer. The new globes have narrower o-ring channels. Old globes 4.5mm channel, with 1.4mm spacer. New globes 3.2mm channel.

Specs on the two different accumulators:

No. 1 Gas ChamberFrontRear
Sealed GasNitrogenNitrogen
Gas Chamber Volume cc (cu in.)400 (24.4)400 (24.4)
Sealed Gas Pressure MPa (kgf/cm2, psi)2.26 (23, 328)1.90 (19, 276)

The parts diagrams say the backup washer comes with the accumulator, but i know the ones coming direct from Japan do not have it. Maybe if you got it from Toyota it does.

Didn't see this until today!

Both front and rear globes are indeed identical, save for probably the sealed gas pressure. I would guess a useful hack for those with heavier installed overlanding parts could possibly use the higher pressure "front" 49141-60020 globes all around. That would make for incrementally more spring rate in the rear.

Didn't see this until today!

Both front and rear globes are indeed identical, save for probably the sealed gas pressure. I would guess a useful hack for those with heavier installed overlanding parts could possibly use the higher pressure "front" 49141-60020 globes all around. That would make for incrementally more spring rate in the rear.
That’s an interesting thought… I wonder how many AHC trucks have them installed backwards by accident. I haven’t looked at mine in a while, but are there any distinguishing marks on the globes themselves. It seems like when I first looked I couldn’t find any.

Solid thread. Just used the info to refresh my globes. It was great to know going in that the Slee sliders would not interfere. Thanks @grinchy

Couple more notes
- Impact gun works wonders to take the globes off. Started with a breaker bar but didn't like how it was causing things to flex even without an extension, and the need to keep the socket square on the low profile nut so as not to round it off. 500 lbft pneumatic gun made easy work of it. If you have access to that, or one of the fancy new battery ones, highly recommended
- Backup washer not needed. My original 2009 globes had them. Difference is that the rubber o-ring seat/channel on the original were much wider - hence the need for a backup "spacer" washer. The new globes have narrower o-ring channels. Old globes 4.5mm channel, with 1.4mm spacer. New globes 3.2mm channel.
Do you notice a difference in performance/ride?

Do you notice a difference in performance/ride?

I'm curious too as the old suspension seemed to be in good working order.

I'll know in about a week. She's still on jack stands as I'm giving everything a once over and replacing the shocks. While I'm in there, going to modify them for long travel. Working on the rears and should be done by the weekend.

I'm curious too as the old suspension seemed to be in good working order.

I'll know in about a week. She's still on jack stands as I'm giving everything a once over and replacing the shocks. While I'm in there, going to modify them for long travel. Working on the rears and should be done by the weekend.

I'm also curious. I'll be replacing in the next week or two as well. Same situation, all systems working fine but 120K seems to be a good interval for globe replacement and fluid swap. Won't be touching shocks. Interested to see your long travel mods.

Ok just completed the globe replacement and fluid flush, wanted to enter my notes into the record for people googling and browsing this thread

- the backup washer does not fit on the new accumulators. The dimensions of the stem coming from the accumulator does not allow sufficient clearance for both the o ring and backup washer. I installed without backup washer on my 09 lx 570 and am not seeing any leaks or weeping

- I did experience the startup error ("check ahc") with the car not raising. If this happens to you, be persistent with flicking that ahc switch up on startup. It took about 9 tries before the system primed enough to raise the car

- overall ride quality is improved but it isn't mind blowing. My fluid and globes had about 90k on them and the difference is subtle and largely with dampening not shock absorption. It still rides and hits bumps like a truck, just doesn't vibrate as much after a bump.

- the amount of fluid sucked back into the empty system when you go from L to N is the difference between almost the top of the reservoir and the max fill line. Make sure to fill your reservoir almost completely before hiking the car back up to N after you do the initial bleed and globe replacement

Ok just completed the globe replacement and fluid flush, wanted to enter my notes into the record for people googling and browsing this thread

- the backup washer does not fit on the new accumulators. The dimensions of the stem coming from the accumulator does not allow sufficient clearance for both the o ring and backup washer. I installed without backup washer on my 09 lx 570 and am not seeing any leaks or weeping

- I did experience the startup error ("check ahc") with the car not raising. If this happens to you, be persistent with flicking that ahc switch up on startup. It took about 9 tries before the system primed enough to raise the car

- overall ride quality is improved but it isn't mind blowing. My fluid and globes had about 90k on them and the difference is subtle and largely with dampening not shock absorption. It still rides and hits bumps like a truck, just doesn't vibrate as much after a bump.

- the amount of fluid sucked back into the empty system when you go from L to N is the difference between almost the top of the reservoir and the max fill line. Make sure to fill your reservoir almost completely before hiking the car back up to N after you do the initial bleed and globe replacement
Did you do all at once or one corner at a time?

Newb question….does how often you actually shift the vehicle between L, N, H impact the life expectancy of the globes? I just test drove a 2010 with 165k miles and the suspension feels super smooth. Owner has done every recommended service interval at Lexus but I’m not sure if that’s included touching AHC. Never any noted suspension issues but he rarely ever raises or lowers it.

Newb question….does how often you actually shift the vehicle between L, N, H impact the life expectancy of the globes? I just test drove a 2010 with 165k miles and the suspension feels super smooth. Owner has done every recommended service interval at Lexus but I’m not sure if that’s included touching AHC. Never any noted suspension issues but he rarely ever raises or lowers it.
No. lx can be smooth, that’s what it’s good at.

Thanks. I’ve read different opinions…do most folks on here say you should change accumulators about every 100k miles or just leave them alone as long as suspension feels right.
IMHO it’s 10 years. The nitrogen seeps across the membrane at a fairly steady (though infinitesimally slow) rate.
Opinions vary on if mileage is a factor or not. Probably is.
If the ride is good no need to futz with it.

You don't need to actively shift between different heights. The system is constantly and always adjusting. Adjusts as you drive at different speeds. Adjusts based on how many people and how much weight you have in the vehicle. And if the easy entry/exit button is enabled then it lowers every single time you park and turn off the vehicle.

Thanks. I’ve read different opinions…do most folks on here say you should change accumulators about every 100k miles or just leave them alone as long as suspension feels right.
I would argue if you wait until ride degrades significantly, you have waited too long. Degraded globes will put excessive stress on the entire system and can lead to other issues like strut leaks. 10 years or 120K would probably be a good rule of thumb since the AHC system has a 60K service interval. It seems like only a small percentage of AHC systems are maintained at all.

I would argue if you wait until ride degrades significantly, you have waited too long. Degraded globes will put excessive stress on the entire system and can lead to other issues like strut leaks. 10 years or 120K would probably be a good rule of thumb since the AHC system has a 60K service interval. It seems like only a small percentage of AHC systems are maintained at all.
Great feedback - I appreciate it. The 570 I’m getting is 12 yrs old with 165k on it so if they’ve never been replaced (don’t think they have) then sounds like I should plan to replace them soon.

Great feedback - I appreciate it. The 570 I’m getting is 12 yrs old with 165k on it so if they’ve never been replaced (don’t think they have) then sounds like I should plan to replace them soon.
You'll get various answers. If it were me, I would. I've been around Mercedes hydraulic suspension cars for many years, and sometimes the simple fixes end up being extremely expensive due to bits of plastic making their way through the small high pressure lines, valves, pumps, etc... Replacing these components just as you would your typical shocks is good practice. But most people don't touch the system and by the time something fails it gets very expensive to fix it all.

Was thinking about this. I don't think using the height positions has much impact on the system. As others said, the system and pump is petty active regardless.

Actually, using the easy entry function, or low when in park, puts less potential wear on the globes as more of the vehicle weight is on the coil springs. Either way, the system is robust and I would do hesitate to use it as you wish.

I just changed my globes. The ride is only incrementally better. That could just as much be the fluid flush. Or refreshed bushings on my new shocks. Or globes. But not world's apart and it rode excellent before too.

Biggest difference to me has been the speed at which it raises. I chalk that up to the less fluid volume necessary in the globes to generate the same pressure. Seems to lift in 5th accumulator volume only rather than also waiting on the pump for additional fluid volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom