Pneumatic hose crimping tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Some of my hose needs to have the ends trimmed off and new ferrules and crimps installed. What's everyone's go to for this type of tool? I'd like to graduate from using a hose clamp and a barbed fitting :rolleyes: Most of my hoses are either 3/8" or 1/4".

This one looks like a decent unit from USA Amazon link I don't wanna cheap out on this tool because I'm only gonna buy this once, then give it to my daughter when she throws me in the old folks home 'cause she wants to abscond with my tools and the Landcruiser:crybaby:

Guess I can get this ferrule kit for the tool amazon link but I should look for 3/8" and 1/4" ferrules with decent reviews probably.

Or, should I forget about the crimping tool and just go with bunch of these? amazon link

The proper tool is best, obviously, but if I were in your situation, I'd try first improvising with my hydraulic electric connector crimper or one of my Pex crimpers just to see if I could make do with those, out of curiosity and cuz you never know...
The reusable ends are a beautiful design. Pricey, but if you only need to make a couple of hoses would be cheaper than buying a dedicated crimper, presumably.

The proper tool is best, obviously, but if I were in your situation, I'd try first improvising with my hydraulic electric connector crimper or one of my Pex crimpers just to see if I could make do with those, out of curiosity and cuz you never know...
The reusable ends are a beautiful design. Pricey, but if you only need to make a couple of hoses would be cheaper than buying a dedicated crimper, presumably.

That's a great idea Eric, thanks for that! I'll see if I can pick up some ferrules locally and have a go at it. I'll see if my local Grainger has ferrules.

if you have a Pex crimper and rings already, you might want to check those rings. It seems possible that the sizes might be close and a bit of grinding the hose exterior or the ring interior might make it possible to use a pex ring, so no ferrule buy necessary.
OTOH, if you don't want the aggravation, I have seen crimpers for hoses that looked like a vise grip with 2 crimping orifices in the tool jaws, those must be the correct size for air hose ferrules and I imagine they are only about $20 or $30.

added: I was referring above the copper crimp rings because I prefer them as they are more streamlined than the ear clamps. But the latter probably are more forgiving of size differences, so I would try those as well if the rings are too much of a pain for your air hose sizes. Of course, the air hose OD may vary a fair bit depending on construction, but I think some common 3/8" air hoses have an OD fairly close to standard 1/2" Pex. And I have in fact seen air hose installations done with Pex ear clamps.

Last edited:
I go at this differently. I use Push-Lock or Barb-tite hose end fittings and if I really feel like I need the added security I use a Clamptite tool to form a clamp between the barbs of the fitting. A Push-Lock/Barb-Tite fitting is good up to the rated pressure of the hose when used with hose designed for it. I've found from experimenting that if the fit to the hose ID is close that it's usually good up to the hose rating or close enough even with hose not specifically designed for it.

Adding the normal clamp to one of these fittings is counter-productive because they will cut the hose liner, but a Clamptite clamp fitted between the barbs works well at ensuring that the fitting stays in the hose without cutting the hose liner.

I have made a little tool like that Clamptite with a piece of scrap conduit and a bit of steel rod. Very easy. Works well. And, yes, those wire clamps are great, very unobtrusive and long lasting. Way more ergonomic than a screw clamp. I use some soft annealed steel wire. It does rust but lasts a long time. I will say, though, that occasionally, I have one leaking, but that's probably operator error.

I use .032" 304 SST Safety Wire almost exclusively. I buy it by the 1 lbs. cans and all of my off-road capable vehicles have a can, safety wire pliers, and a Clamptite in their tool kits. To fix an air hose or a garden hose at home I have to dig into one of them for the wire & tools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom