Painting an 85 Copper 60 (with headliner install video) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh, YOU have all the air cleaners, hu?
So after reading your 60 thread I saw you’re in need of one. When I bring this 60 up to Fort Collins I’ll be glad to carry one up for you.

Reshot the two doors and the hood. Even got the underside of the hood where it’s exposed on the outer perimeter of the insulator. Happy with the outcome. More orange peel than normal on the hood , but plenty of material on there so I’ll knock it down with 1200 and some cut/buffing.

B0A963AD-847D-4351-87F2-94E80D31E0C9.jpeg

F406A9FE-7151-4500-8A5F-C4FF3A4A351C.jpeg

2DB1C0AA-35D8-43A3-94FC-1512D357E466.jpeg

So after reading your 60 thread I saw you’re in need of one. When I bring this 60 up to Fort Collins I’ll be glad to carry one up for you.
Man, that would be awesome! I can’t guarantee I’ll be able to make a trip down to Colorado, but let me know more details and I’ll see what I can do. I’d be more than glad to pay for shipping either way. I do need one. I just need to get settled in for a bit and recoup some after paying for gas from Orlando to Bozeman. 😱

Man, that would be awesome! I can’t guarantee I’ll be able to make a trip down to Colorado, but let me know more details and I’ll see what I can do. I’d be more than glad to pay for shipping either way. I do need one. I just need to get settled in for a bit and recoup some after paying for gas from Orlando to Bozeman. 😱
That may be the better way to go. I’m home the back half of this week. Reach out to me and I’ll get your address etc. it may be July/august before I get this truck back together.
713-895-3962

a quick update. Not excited to share this but this is what happens when you blow apart a truck you’ve never driven and gotten to know. The window frame on the drivers front door is bent. Not visible to the eye, but obvious when I hung it. Thinking on this one a bit…may mount it back up, open the door and use a come-a-long to see if I can stretch it in the right direction. Or…start over with another door. I love challenges so I’ll go with the first option then switch to plan B if necessary. Can only guess what happened to this door.

5BF02BA8-80D4-4EB4-8045-20849FCDA975.jpeg

10BC02AB-E1BD-41D5-918A-703259E804BD.jpeg

892879EA-D007-4355-99FE-BB30386D3B94.jpeg

11D8BA05-7B77-4451-9F55-744D228C6541.jpeg

E7F8B1EC-A0DC-4276-97BA-2F05E4968A65.jpeg

111C34E5-4769-4661-8A37-B2C5F68C7B8A.jpeg

Long shot? But will see if the frame relaxes overnight under tension. I cranked it down once and got almost a MM of improvement. Actually made quite a difference at the A-pillar. B-pillar looked a bit off. Still. Looking at my cruiser another MM would be just right. Will let it sit overnight and if it gets close I’ll go with the weatherstrip and see how it seals. Can always mock up another door if wind noise is an issue.

6D67BD7D-C7EE-465C-BDC5-1254EA6D84DD.jpeg

3F011535-5D52-4199-8B87-90BD2DA9C965.jpeg

You’re right, it’s very difficult to see even when you’re showing us exactly where it’s bent. Good catch. I wonder how many body shops would have pushed it through like that?

Now you get to put the come along to use and/or get some more experience with the gun and buffer! Cool to see this project rolling along!

Long shot? But will see if the frame relaxes overnight under tension. I cranked it down once and got almost a MM of improvement. Actually made quite a difference at the A-pillar. B-pillar looked a bit off. Still. Looking at my cruiser another MM would be just right. Will let it sit overnight and if it gets close I’ll go with the weatherstrip and see how it seals. Can always mock up another door if wind noise is an issue.

View attachment 3013462

View attachment 3013463
You could likely shim the upper hinge to make up any additional difference if you have the rest of it fitting appropriately.

@CenTXFJ60 I saw some similar-colored doors for sale on FB this weekend. I don't know how straight they are, but if you're worried about your doors being torqued it might be something to check out. It was on one of the Land Cruiser sale groups ... or maybe FJ60/FJ62 North America group.

Had the chance to see this in person before Jimmy and I had four finger pours. It looks amazing. Great job, Jimmy. Color pops!!!

Hey @cps432 im slated to head to Fort Collins in a week and a half. I believe you’re in Montana now. Good news is I think my youngest son is gonna head to Missoula some time in July. I’m sure I could convince him to drop the air cleaner to you as long as it’s not too far out of his way. He visits a friend up there and does a deadhead between FOCO and Missoula. Let me know your thoughts. Worst case it will be at their house incase you’re heading back to Denver for anything

Jimmy,

Wrap a 1X2 in rubber and massage (close the door on the wood) the window frame closest to the A-pillar. It will push the B-pillar gap closed and won't hurt the paint. Slow and steady and will work.

Old body guy showed me years ago.

Jason
That’s what I like Jason. Old school recommendations. I can visualize what you’re telling me. Really appreciate you sharing this.

@CenTXFJ60 If you’re after any little bits and bobs, I’m trying to get rid of 60 parts here in Denver. Let me know if you’re in need. (Help me get my garage back!)

@CenTXFJ60 If you’re after any little bits and bobs, I’m trying to get rid of 60 parts here in Denver. Let me know if you’re in need. (Help me get my garage back!)
I’m a hoarder ma man…this is like casting night crawlers into a school of Brookies. My cell is 713-805-3962. I should be passing through Denver next Saturday. Thanks. Jimmy.

Breaking out the good stuff, nice!
Yes sir. Have some high dollar whisky Emerson left here back in March. Will have to look but CD said it was the good Sh*t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom