What did you do on your 70 series today? (22 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I talked to my local dealership today. Both the hardlines 47314-60160 (to 1986) / 47314-60161 (1986-90) are both discontinued and they say there is no reference on an successor or alternative. They are unwilling to do any research what other models part might fit. (They don't want to take the risk, I guess). They would source me any available part-no, on my risk, though. Looking at today's logistic situation (we just had that conversation here), it may take decades to get any part shipped.
I don't have enough knowledge on what later models had similar axle dimensions and brake setup, either, to come up with a parts-no.

I will check if I can find the 1 inch required to da a new flare on the old line somewhere; probably not.
I will then check with a local farming machinery shop on Monday. Having them do a new flare or fab a reproduction of tge entire line is possibly the leanest and fastest approach. What's good on a tractor will also suit a BJ7.
With a bit of luck I can make it to the wheeling event next weekend. Fingers crossed.

I will also talk to Allamerican Imports (NL). They are a specialized in Landcruiser. They might know.
Well, it's about the Knuckle Job part 2 today. Reassembling time.. Hope I don't break more stuff.
Cheers Ralf

Two determining factors:

1. Don’t look at part numbers as finite: for Toyota, they are an entry into its engineering.

2. Front and rear axle housings were pretty much the same width for a very long period of time. So you can determine what you need by merely measuring— you don’t need to get the same exact part numbers that were on your vehicle from factory specification.

And just because your dealer cannot get the parts, does not mean they are not available; you might have to look outside of your PMA (primary marketing area).

Try souring OEM parts from other markets.

Or, just make them yourself.

Two determining factors:

1. Don’t look at part numbers as finite: for Toyota, they are an entry into its engineering.

2. Front and rear axle housings were pretty much the same width for a very long period of time. So you can determine what you need by merely measuring— you don’t need to get the same exact part numbers that were on your vehicle from factory specification.

And just because your dealer cannot get the parts, does not mean they are not available; you might have to look outside of your PMA (primary marketing area).

Try souring OEM parts from other markets.

Or, just make them yourself.
Thanks, Benno.
I'll try. This interchangeability of parts, even over decades, and the wide market is a great thing in Landcruisers, but mastering that is a real artistry.
I'm in Landcruiser for only 2 years now so there is so much to learn for me, still.
Well, this brakeline issue is probably really a low brainer to refab.
Cheers Ralf

Printed a graphic I made awhile back on vinyl wrap at kinkos and wrapped a yeti cup. Holy cow, it came out great but I have zero desire to do a wrap again.

A9BDEA23-3019-428E-B2B5-72907A3D9B96.jpeg

F7059C6D-5E51-4AB8-88D0-4FB5E37CA362.jpeg

Got to do some dyno pulls with the local LandCruiser club. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that my little 1.9 TDI is making 136hp and 269ft-lbs at the wheels.
Dyno Graph.png

Thanks, Benno.
I'll try. This interchangeability of parts, even over decades, and the wide market is a great thing in Landcruisers, but mastering that is a real artistry.
I'm in Landcruiser for only 2 years now so there is so much to learn for me, still.
Cheers Ralf

Hello,

Quite likely, most BJ7x parts are discontinued. You can try looking for HZJ7x parts, which are still available, especially for post-1999 models.

Basic design has not changed much in almost 40 years for the 70 Series.

Juan

If you figure out how to actually recycle an oil filter into a insulated coffee cup I guarantee people will buy them.
For sure….I don’t doubt that.

AIso, I am told the Japanese made -30002 are no longer made. Not sure if that is true but if it is, then that won’t be happening.

Thanks, Benno.
Cheers Ralf
Lot of knowledge on the forum. Everyone wants to help get you running again. Eventually you'll be back on the road and hopefully how you want. I try partsouq to find a part number and then Google for alternates, then local parts stores and dealer. If no joy local either partsouq, substitute, or fabricate. As you repeat this process it gets easier/faster. Not all dealers are the same and not all parts counter sales employees are equal. Good luck!

Not all dealers are the same and not all parts counter sales employees are equal. Good luck!

Good point. In my roughly 20 years in the LC community, there are really only a few very good interpreters of Toyota parts knowledge.

Everyone else are just pressing keys and looking at data sheets to figure out what you are talking about.

You might get lucky and find a authentic parts expert out there who understands the Toyota part numbering world.

But I think most of those people have retired due to the fact that the internet has put them out of business… and those who actually know are retired because they don’t want to play stupid games with stupid people anymore.

It’s unfortunately a race to the bottom, at least here in the US.

and those who actually know are retired because they don’t want to play stupid games with stupid people anymore.
true statement, i get asked at least 3 times a week if i want to put my tools back in my truck. no thanks, social media, particularly Instagram was the nail in that coffin.

If you figure out how to actually recycle an oil filter into a insulated coffee cup I guarantee people will buy them.
If you nail two things together that have never been nailed together before, some schmuck will buy it from you. It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I actually reached out to him last year to see if he will make the same cup for -30002 style. He said he most likely would is my understanding. I haven’t seen anything on his site yet though.

I tested mine through the dish washer last night and it survived great. It is just a pain to wrap a cup so printing would have been better but the couple of local places that can print cups said no way until I remove “Toyota”.

I seem to be having issues with my factory temp gauge. seems to randomly max out and get stuck. First time was on the highway (which got my attention) and second time was backing into the driveway after driving 1mi to the store and back (which made me think it's malfunctioning). has no overheating symptoms, brand new Mr. T thermostat and the handheld IR gauge showed the top of the radiator pretty cool when i parked. ordered a new sender so we'll see if that makes the gauge stop acting funny. also think I should wire in some aftermarket ones just to see.

also, probably going to un-turbo my 1HZ and sell all the components off. too much fiddling and worrying, and going to NA again will let me just drive without constantly staring at the EGT gauge. it was fun while it lasted lol

I seem to be having issues with my factory temp gauge. seems to randomly max out and get stuck. First time was on the highway (which got my attention) and second time was backing into the driveway after driving 1mi to the store and back (which made me think it's malfunctioning). has no overheating symptoms, brand new Mr. T thermostat and the handheld IR gauge showed the top of the radiator pretty cool when i parked. ordered a new sender so we'll see if that makes the gauge stop acting funny. also think I should wire in some aftermarket ones just to see.

also, probably going to un-turbo my 1HZ and sell all the components off. too much fiddling and worrying, and going to NA again will let me just drive without constantly staring at the EGT gauge. it was fun while it lasted lol
Does your fuel gauge spike at the same time?

Might be a grounding issue. I think the gauge will spike into the red if you ground the sending unit wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom