Contemplating abandoning ship (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This was me in my 20’s with cars and women… my wife is so glad I grew out of that stage before we met.
Amen Brother! (I think I carried it into my 30's though - but prior to my wife for sure!)

Now if I could somehow get her to think a 2023 Supra with a manual trans is a car we need

Last edited:
All I have to do is drive my work car for the week - (Prius) and then I'm overjoyed to get in the 200 on the weekend. My body and hearing are grateful for such a well built vehicle.

Whenever I'm talking on the phone in the Prius, everyone asks if I have the windows down, that hasn't happened once in the 200

If you don't like your not going to magically make yourself like it. I just finished up a decent set of road trips due to Grandmother passing. Went from Austin TX to Lake of Ozarks MO on a Wednesday. Week and half later from Lake of Ozarks MO to Des Moines IA. Next day from Des Moines IA back to Austin TX. I brought me and German Shepard and luggage for first leg. Wife, me and dog and full rear of luggage and stuff for legs 2 and 3. I had Zero issues, I did not miss car play as I have never used it. Our water bottles fit the cup holders just fine. Zero rattles or squeaks just little tire noise on concrete. Right now the only way I get rid of mine is I wreck it so bad I can not fix it. Good luck with your next choice.

Amen Brother! (I think I carried it into my 30's though - but prior to my wife for sure!)

Now if I could somehow get her to think a 2023 Supra with a manual trans is a car we need

I definitely carried that nonsense over into my 30’s and I am still guilty of it to some degree lol.

To be honest as I get older I’m liking the lack of all the gizmos and doodads that come with newer vehicles. Would car play be nice, sure but I’m really comfortable with the outdated and simple tech in my LC. For as old as it is, I still have all the faith in it that it’ll get me from point A to point B without a second thought and in comfort. It’s probably that I’m getting older and this LC has been so reliable and I don’t care for new shiny things anymore, I’d rather have quality and simplicity and not worry.

Hi all,

After 15 mos and 6800miles of ownership, I have come to the conclusion that my silver 21 HE might not be worth all the marbles I put into it. As what is considered the "Best" Toyota product and exclusivity, that pride made me somewhat enjoy the first 12 mos of ownership. After the honeymoon was over, all the flaws are seriously making me reconsider. From day 1, the windshield made a tapping noise which I eventually diagnosed and repaired on my own. Now besides the weird trans shifting and engine surging?, the front and rear seats rattling is downright disappointing.

Recently, I thought to myself, for the value of this vehicle, I could have TWO vehicles instead; . A RX/GX and a IS/ES, a 4runner and a camry hybrid/avalon, heck even a C300 and a GLC.
Am I crazy or finally coming to my senses?
From your brief post, my response is… It sounds like you know what to do.

It will be someone else’s dream vehicle…and used prices are nuts. Its a win-win.

🤷🏻‍♂️

People who talk about it are just seeking attention, just do it already, JUMP.

That seems like an awfully broad brush you’re painting with… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Don’t worry, there are probably several new Land Cruiser owners saying the same thing after this past year, 200’s in stock form are pretty underwhelming and are low in wow factor in my opinion, however they are incredibly well built and when properly built they are damn awesome cool Rigs!

My opinion, build it with a proper lift, tires etc. or sell it! Either way you should end up in good shape! Good luck!

To be honest as I get older I’m liking the lack of all the gizmos and doodads that come with newer vehicles. Would car play be nice, sure but I’m really comfortable with the outdated and simple tech in my LC. For as old as it is, I still have all the faith in it that it’ll get me from point A to point B without a second thought and in comfort. It’s probably that I’m getting older and this LC has been so reliable and I don’t care for new shiny things anymore, I’d rather have quality and simplicity and not worry.
100% agree.

My wife's Tesla is the most annoying vehicle - great for zero gas but, everything is an app on the screen - even the air vents. I always have to look at the screen and find the correct app to adjust everything.

Some things just work the original way they were designed and don't need to be improved/fixed

"Low Tech" is fine by me

Last edited:
I've owned three Land cruisers over the past 30 years and during that time have owned two Porsche Cayennes and one Audi Q5. The Cayennes and Q5 were the worst built automobiles I've ever owned from a reliability and quality control standpoint. The Land Cruisers hands down have been the best SUVs I've owned. I'm currently driving a 2020 HE that was built before the China Virus hit and it's been trouble free with no rattles, mechanical or electrical issues. Definitely the best Land Cruiser I've ever owned. Everyone has a different perspective on everything. If selling it (and probably profiting from it) makes you happy, then do it. Personally I wouldn't take any opinions here to sway my decision. Do what's right for you.

LC200 in woods.jpg

Last edited:
Cars are a very personal choice. Fortunately at this level, we all have lots of choices. So this one's easy, do what is right by you.

A lot of great perspectives shared. I think a lot of the enjoyment with the 200-series is perspective. On an enthusiast forum like this, so much of it is in the platforms potential. And perhaps memories or journeys to be made. Maybe an epic road trip can recalibrate some perspectives as to what makes the 200-series so great.

Your thoughts sum up why I won't buy any offroad vehicle new. I bought my 2013 LX for a little over $30k. My kids have taken markers and crayons to the headliner and C pillar fabrics, when we go out hiking they climb in and prop their muddy little boots right up the seats on either side of the rear screens. Yesterday I strapped a fully inflated 12ft raft to the roof to run river shuttle then dragged it right over the roof and hood paint unloading it leaving some horrific clear coat scuffs behind. And I'll do the same next weekend. My buddy bought a 2021 HE right around the same time and we've traded vehicles several times. The improvements are incremental and frankly I can think of about 65,000 other things I'd rather do with the cost difference.

Now if we're talking fast cars I don't let my kids trash and go blasting down overgrown trails with, I have a very very different vehicular philosophy.

If you're not happy make a change!

The 2013 LC is significantly better. I'd consider swapping mine with your '21 HE. 🙃

I’ve said on here a few times. If I didn’t tow a ~7k camper I’d own a GX instead of my 200 for sure. If I didn’t off-road or tow I’d likely own a Subaru wagon (possibly Audi). If I didn’t live in Alaska, didn’t off road, didn’t tow then Tesla model Y.

Not gonna lie, better designed and placed cup holders and CarPlay would make it infinitely better. That just goes to show you how good it already is when those are the big items that need attention lol.
why not install carplay? I put an EC offroad unit in mine and it works great. I do wish the door cup holders were bigger and the center console cup holders better, but not that big of deal. My only real complaint I guess would be the rattling seat when no one is in it. (mine is a 2021) Anyone have a fix for that? I just returned from a 120 mile offroad trip, camping along the way. I loved how capable and comfortable it was offroad, and then i hop on the freeway for 8 hrs home and it's a deluxe ride there too.

why not install carplay? I put an EC offroad unit in mine and it works great. I do wish the door cup holders were bigger and the center console cup holders better, but not that big of deal. My only real complaint I guess would be the rattling seat when no one is in it. (mine is a 2021) Anyone have a fix for that? I just returned from a 120 mile offroad trip, camping along the way. I loved how capable and comfortable it was offroad, and then i hop on the freeway for 8 hrs home and it's a deluxe ride there too.
Headrest is the issue on the front passenger seat. (Or the seatbelt not resetting correctly after unbuckling.)

So... where is this Tech Forum thread going?

OP dropped a turd 4 days ago and has not been seen since.

Don't mind the chit chat, but is this really a Tech thread?

[Mostly mad at myself for continuing to open this thread to see if there is anything worthwhile...]

:bang:

Just like the chrome delete pictures.
So... where is this Tech Forum thread going?

OP dropped a turd 4 days ago and has not been seen since.

Don't mind the chit chat, but is this really a Tech thread?

[Mostly mad at myself for continuing to open this thread to see if there is anything worthwhile...]

:bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom