What did you do on your 70 series today? (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got my factory 70 series rims in yesterday after lots of weather delays. Toyota part 42601-60262-03 I am excited to get some rubber mounted to them and get them on the truck. The tires/mounting are a birthday gift from my fiancé so I need to wait till that day comes in on June 5th. I am thinking the kzj78 is going to look perfect with the 235 85 16 tires I picked out.

Nice! I have the same wheels (painted in black) and tires setup on my KZJ78. You will love it. I'll post a picture later.

got my weekly dose of dirt therapy in

D47DD82D-D0F0-4622-BD51-4ECD7486D0F4.jpg

Makes sense. It would have surprised me if Toyota shipped them packaged with just the cardboard pictured.

A tip: The Sharpie "silver metallic" marker works wonders for touching up those wheels easily. It is about as close you can get to the paint code but not perfect.

That’s actually how they come.

The Japanese sheet metal boxing has always been, shall we say, less than robust for decades. It is cheaper in the long run to pay a percentage of damage claims than to spend money to box every piece well enough to survive anything less than the most gentle handling. I wish I had a dollar for every TMP134 I filed in ~30 years.

I guess because the logistics is not as controlled between point A and B. (ex. warehouse ->FEDEX->Dealer->Customer) more risk..... vs. (supplier -> dedicated carrier -> supplier/Toyota).

20220513_184529.jpg
I dug the old gal out and drove her to work. She's gone less than 500 miles on the last two years. I broke 100,000 miles. :)

Not sure how it is in Germany, but here in the U.S. you can buy sections of hardline at the parts store, bend it up and rent/buy a flaring tool. I've made/replaced lines on my 45 and my old 40.

Three questions now :
Is there a trick how to seal or fix a leaking flared brakeline joint?
Does anyone know of a replacement for that hardline across the axle?
Anyone a proven conept how to improve that stupid construction?

I need help, guys. Thank you for any suggestions.

Ralf

Arrogant me. I apparently successfully messed it up.
The ugly thing on the early BJ7x is: You need to undo the brakeline to remove the caliper and brake backing plate.
There is a joint way thingy riveted (!) to the back of the brake backing plate where the flex line connects to a short hardline again, which connects to the caliper.
I undid the short hardline in that joint way first and removed the caliper. Only to note later in the process that I had to undo the flex line from the hardline on the axle in order to remove the backing plate. Two good chances for the old flared tube ends to f* leak.
And yes: The joint on the hardline across the axle to the flex line (47314-60160) failed on me. Can't get it sealing any more. 😢 What a stupid construction.
Wheeling next weekend: Canceled 😢
I likely need a new hardline from the distributer above the diff along the axle to the knuckle: 47314-60160, which of course is discontinued, as well as 47314-60161 for the later models up ton1990.
Neither partsouq nor amayama nor euro4x4 has any of the two.
Am I screwd now?

I'm that pissed... Don't even dare to start the knuckle job on the RH side...

Three questions now :
Is there a trick how to seal or fix a leaking flared brakeline joint?
Does anyone know of a replacement for that hardline across the axle?
Anyone a proven conept how to improve that stupid construction?

I need help, guys. Thank you for any suggestions.

Ralf

View attachment 3007790
You're gonna have to find some 10mm flared brake end fittings... and some brake line. You bend your own, copying the original shape. A little tube bender and a flaring tool will be needed as well. Wish you were close by, I could help you do it in about 30 minutes.

If you can't source the parts/tools yourself, perhaps there is a hydraulics shop near by who could help.

Thank you all who have responded to my brakeline question.
@Honger , @jblueridge, @OGBeno , @Owyhee Jackass ..
I'll check with Toyota on Monday, following @OGBeno s advice.
If they don't have it, I'll likely have a truck shop to reproduce it.
I tried doing my own flares on a project a few years back, with no success. It's about having quality tools for that job, so I better leave it with experts.
I'll now start the 2nd knuckle job. Nothing I can do on the brakelines on a Weekend.
@Honger Special thanks for offering hands on help. Unfortunately a bit far from Germany to US 😁. Let's have a virtual beer 🍻.
Great community Thank you, guys.
Cheers Ralf

Axle housing brake hardliners for semi-float and full-floating rear axles with drums or disc brakes for the 70 series are still easily available from any Toyota dealership.

Front and rear.

As are the 3-way fittings.
I talked to my local dealership today. Both the hardlines 47314-60160 (to 1986) / 47314-60161 (1986-90) are both discontinued and they say there is no reference on an successor or alternative. They are unwilling to do any research what other models part might fit. (They don't want to take the risk, I guess). They would source me any available part-no, on my risk, though. Looking at today's logistic situation (we just had that conversation here), it may take decades to get any part shipped.
I don't have enough knowledge on what later models had similar axle dimensions and brake setup, either, to come up with a parts-no.

I will check if I can find the 1 inch required to da a new flare on the old line somewhere; probably not.
I will then check with a local farming machinery shop on Monday. Having them do a new flare or fab a reproduction of tge entire line is possibly the leanest and fastest approach. What's good on a tractor will also suit a BJ7.
With a bit of luck I can make it to the wheeling event next weekend. Fingers crossed.

I will also talk to Allamerican Imports (NL). They are a specialized in Landcruiser. They might know.
Well, it's about the Knuckle Job part 2 today. Reassembling time.. Hope I don't break more stuff.
Cheers Ralf

Not what I did, but what I didn't do on the 7* today. I didn't fill it up at the pump...couldn't bring myself to see a triple-digit fill-up. I think it's the first time in years that I haven't 'topped off' the tank.

Also, since I started tackling the rust areas, it hasn't been driven in a few weeks, don't see any trips in it in the near future, so why put $100+ in it to sit for another month?

Another hundred tiny welds...and a ton more grinding/sanding.
IMG_20220512_180320992_HDR.jpg

Was out of 22 gauge, so grabbed some 18 gauge that I had purchased to do this same thing on the 55. Way harder to work with.

Had to run to work and use a bigger hammer to form it.
IMG_20220513_141348609.jpg
Should be easier to weld in though.
IMG_20220513_144311445_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom