Wobbly AC belt on 12HT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My belts were all replaced last summer, as well as the harmonic balancer and idler pulley (today). For some reason my belt has a wobble I can’t diagnose. I’ve adjusted belt tension three times; I’m doing it the redneck way by tightening until I can just get in a 90 degree twist on the widest section. Either way, I still have this problem. Any guidance?

I finally broke down and bought the proper tensioning tool for $15:
https://www.amazon.com/Gates-91107-Belt-Tension-Tester/dp/B000MUTAGS

I was surprised how tight it had to be to hit spec! Worth having as incorrect tension is apparently a leading cause of failure on water pumps and such.

Was it like this before you replaced the idler today? Have you completely removed it and put it back on? Pretty weird!

Sure that's the right belt? Mine was thinner. Just make sure you have cross checked. If it's too thick, it won't sit
in the pulley properly. I did that originally as I just confirmed correct length originally.

A/C V-Belt 2H 12HT [99332-01395] -

I finally broke down and bought the proper tensioning tool for $15:
https://www.amazon.com/Gates-91107-Belt-Tension-Tester/dp/B000MUTAGS

I was surprised how tight it had to be to hit spec! Worth having as incorrect tension is apparently a leading cause of failure on water pumps and such.

Was it like this before you replaced the idler today? Have you completely removed it and put it back on? Pretty weird!
This type? Link didn’t work.

Gates 91107 Krikit V-Belt Tension Gauge, Black Amazon product ASIN B000MUTAGS

Sure that's the right belt? Mine was thinner. Just make sure you have cross checked. If it's too thick, it won't sit
in the pulley properly. I did that originally as I just confirmed correct length originally.

A/C V-Belt 2H 12HT [99332-01395] -

Honestly I don’t know. Ordered a set that was “for this engine” and my rebuilder said they were wrong. Duralast 17550 for the AC is what was put in I believe.

My belts were all replaced last summer, as well as the harmonic balancer and idler pulley (today). For some reason my belt has a wobble I can’t diagnose. I’ve adjusted belt tension three times; I’m doing it the redneck way by tightening until I can just get in a 90 degree twist on the widest section. Either way, I still have this problem. Any guidance?

being able to manipulate the belt that much while allegedly tightened doesn't seem tight enough to me.

I don't think you have the correct belt - image from partsouq:

1652395026695.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom