Overwhelmed by awnings (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I decided to go with the ARB 8.2x8.2 with the room I can attach underneath.

It should be here on Sunday and I can't wait
Well a little bit of feedback ... I actually wound up selling my ARB 8.2 8.2 because after trying to use it a handful of times over the summer I came to the conclusion that it is just simply too big and cumbersome for one person to put it up all by themselves two people can put it up with ease but one person makes it a little bit of a struggle.

Well a little bit of feedback ... I actually wound up selling my ARB 8.2 8.2 because after trying to use it a handful of times over the summer I came to the conclusion that it is just simply too big and cumbersome for one person to put it up all by themselves two people can put it up with ease but one person makes it a little bit of a struggle.

This is the key, right there, ease of use and deployment. If the thing you've invested your money into isn't quick and simple to deploy, then you end up not using it and it gets moved downstream.

This is the key, right there, ease of use and deployment. If the thing you've invested your money into isn't quick and simple to deploy, then you end up not using it and it gets moved downstream.
Umm, I set up my ARB 2000x2500 awning solo no problem even in wind. Unroll, deploy front poles but DO NOT extend fully, deploy side poles and the one side at a time extend front poles and set your guy lines. Also, helps to pre-prepare guy lines with carabiner you can just clip to awning Vs. tying knots.

I recently saw a Cruiser with these brackets on both sides their roof rack. Turns out Ironman4x4 makes an awning that fits on these posts for quick disconnect and on this guy's truck, swappable to either side. They use a clevis pin to lock them in place. I think the awning can also be removed while still deployed and tarp poles used in place so that you can drive away while the awning is still set up. It's a pretty clever design. I have a standard 2500 ARB and I don't like keeping it on the truck every day of the year. It's a 15 minute job installing it every time we go on a trip. This looks like a 30 second install.
View attachment 2659486

Actually looks like the kit could be used on any aluminum tracked awning, or at least made to with a little creativity.
View attachment 2659491

Take a look at Gamiviti's solution for the same idea. It looks slightly less complicated, but it's the same idea. Two pins out and the awning is back to being stored in the garage. They're flat on one side, so they should be able to mount to lots of different racks out there.

For less money, the Ironman 4x4 kit was a clear winner for me. It was super easy to install and allows the use of tarp poles in the awning part of the bracket.

Bump
Looking at the various 270 freestanding awnings that would work on a 40. After looking at all of them IMO the best fit for a 40 is the Ironman XTR-71 - it's 78" long closed x 5" x 6" and is 44lbs. ? is, is that too much weight to put up there on one side ?

Bump
Looking at the various 270 freestanding awnings that would work on a 40. After looking at all of them IMO the best fit for a 40 is the Ironman XTR-71 - it's 78" long closed x 5" x 6" and is 44lbs. ? is, is that too much weight to put up there on one side ?

For an FJ40, I think that's a great option. Doublecheck your 40's roof load rating and the rating for whatever roof rack you've got but at only 44 pounds, that awning should be just fine.

It's a tad "small" for a 270 awning (71 square feet coverage) but it's probably perfect for a 40. If you pick one up, share some pictures - I bet that's a great combo!

Just finished installing the OVS Nomadic 270 LT on a GFC Platform RTT. I used 4 GFC mounting brackets. Went with the OVS because of the price. Ordered it from the OVS website and it was delivered in less than a week. So far I am very pleased.

67185059978__CEC60066-DDEB-4A8F-B48D-C6D1D9CD986E.jpeg

That OVS looks really nice. Looks an awful lot like my Ostrich Wing but less than half the price. I assume it is self supporting with the poles just for additional support? My OW has one pole but it is for heavy winds and such. That thing seems really nice. I am looking forward to seeing information on how well it holds up.

That OVS looks really nice. Looks an awful lot like my Ostrich Wing but less than half the price. I assume it is self supporting with the poles just for additional support? My OW has one pole but it is for heavy winds and such. That thing seems really nice. I am looking forward to seeing information on how well it holds up.

I've seen the OVS in person and I'd be hesitant deploying it w/o poles. Perhaps on a super still day, for a quick lunch stop you can take a chance. The OVS hinge system definitely isn't capable of supporting that leverage exerted by the rafters and the weight of the shade material. Your OS and my Bush Company units are marketed as "no pole" deployment. See below.

There might be one or two other "free standing" awnings out there that are marketed as such. Hence, they cost twice or more than the OVS. This is a case of "get what you paid for", IMHO. My buddy has the Shadow awning and it too is a true free standing unit.

Ostrich Wing
1652380820904.png

Bush company 270XT - they don't even offer poles!!

1652380892957.png

I like that too. Nice to see some awnings like that around. Not sure if either of those were available when I bought my OW (from Australia damnit) almost three years ago, but I don't remember seeing anything else like it when I was shopping around. Price is right too. Still cheaper than mine (after shipping it from Australia damnit).

+1 for Bushcompany. I've been around many of the others and not much compares to the Bushcompany. Bush company uses poles if you use side walls. I have heavy homebrew side walls and yes, you do need poles due to the weight and wind surface area.

Pics or ballpark out of pocket?
+1 for Bushcompany. I've been around many of the others and not much compares to the Bushcompany. Bush company uses poles if you use side walls. I have heavy homebrew side walls and yes, you do need poles due to the weight and wind surface area.

Here's what I mean about needing poles with side walls. The weight causes the awning to lean, but that's not the Bush awning flexing, it's actually my crossbars being flexed.

IMG-2086.jpg
67175467342--6E1F07E0-C8CE-48AE-A4D1-383FA357C9D1.jpg

I made up two walls using the walls from a typical 10x10 ezup type of awning. It ain't the prettiest but blocking sun and wind is priceless out in the desert! The wall material feels like nylon and very light, similar to tent material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom