AC no power to fuse, Denso compressor 82 fj 60. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caladin

Noob, but trying to learn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bz93.com
So I'm recovering from surgery, and had a guy out to fix the AC, which I've been putting off since last fall.
It's the Toyota Denso unit, not the US aftermarket one.

They got everything good, the AC ran for a bit, then power died, ac, blower, everything.
Fuse is good, no power getting to the fuse in the fuse box.

None of my manuals had the AC circuits in the electrical diagrams.
I thought i had a digital copy of the AC supplement for the 82 FJ-60, but can't find it.

It's acting like there is a fuse (or fusible link) on JUST the ac circuit (Rest of the truck works)
If he applied power to the fuse directly with the power probe, the AC worked fine.

Any idea what to look for?
Any copies of the AC specific wiring diagrams and or the supplement?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Eric-

Last edited:
Check out the AC wiring schematic in the back of the Chassis & Body manual.
Excerpt page attached.

Attachments

• 1984-1990-AC-Schematic.pdf
    415.8 KB · Views: 103
One step closer, I remembered this exact same issue on my only other fj60 from 20+ years ago (which my brother still has) , reset the round silver breaker under the dash and the AC started working!

For about 5 min and tripped again when I took it for a drive...

How did I remember it, in my Fj60,/Manuals/AC folder i have this pic saved as "AC Circuit Breaker Reset" (pic is from differnt model, in fj60 its just under the dash sorta near to the steering wheel)

1651893637274.jpeg

Thanks for the diagrams, that's gonna be a huge help! I have the Tan 81+ manual, and the last diagram in it is the BJ60. No AC Diagram.

------
Edit: I did find this stashed in my Fj60 manuals\ac folder. Might be useful for posterity, not sure what year.

1651895722994.png

And a digital copy of this, I put it on my personal Google drive, so don't share it around to much,
don't' want a cease and desist and to have to take it down. It's the toyota AC supplement. Again, here for posterity.

Another useful link, here for posterity and so i can reference it.

Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60 Air Conditioning - https://www.deaven.net/~deaven/Truck/fj60-ac.html

Toyota 82650-20011​

Breaker Assembly, Wiring Circuit
1979-1993 Toyota 8265020011

New Circuit Breaker from ToyotaParts.net

-------

Eric-

Last edited:
the A/C breaker ...is really the heater circuit breaker aka the heater CB. It's in the top right corner of the fuse box and yes you can pull it and put a finishing nail in the small hole to reset it. And yes it will trip again. The problem is that the heater CB is worn out and isn't holding anywhere near the 30amps it should. I know this because I tested mine under load while driving with a multitester that could test amps in dc mode. It's old and tripping at about 12amp-13amps. Running the AC and the fan on high will trip the old breaker. The answer is to buy a 30amp in line fuse ...it will come with a short piece of wire attached to either end. Then crimp 2 flat spade terminals to the ends and push them in the sockets where the heater CB resided. No more tripping CB.

check out this thread from 2018 it should probably be made a sticky in the FAQS

A/C blower motor wiring by-pass. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/a-c-blower-motor-wiring-by-pass.1083243/

Edit: I did find this stashed in my Fj60 manuals\ac folder. Might be useful for posterity, not sure what year.

the A/C breaker ...is really the heater circuit breaker aka the heater CB. It's in the top right corner of the fuse box and yes you can pull it and put a finishing nail in the small hole to reset it. And yes it will trip again. The problem is that the heater CB is worn out and isn't holding anywhere near the 30amps it should. I know this because I tested mine under load while driving with a multitester that could test amps in dc mode. It's old and tripping at about 12amp-13amps. Running the AC and the fan on high will trip the old breaker. The answer is to buy a 30amp in line fuse ...it will come with a short piece of wire attached to either end. Then crimp 2 flat spade terminals to the ends and push them in the sockets where the heater CB resided. No more tripping CB.

check out this thread from 2018 it should probably be made a sticky in the FAQS

A/C blower motor wiring by-pass. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/a-c-blower-motor-wiring-by-pass.1083243/

I ordered a new breaker, and the after market fan, if that and cleaning the grounds doesn't do it, I'll try this out

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what year this breaker got moved from under the dash to the fuse box?
All the pics show the fuse box, but I've had 2 1982's can both it was under the dash, up by the steering wheel shaft.

Thanks,

Eric-

I ordered a few of those old style breakers and it continued to trip when I had the AC on high....that thread from 2018 shows what I did and I haven't had any problems with it at all. I have some if you want one...but you can get them off of amazon.
Fuse.jpeg

Last edited:
Replacing the CB and blower motor at the same time should solve your issue.

DON'T throw away the old blower motor! Rebuildable and more heavy duty than the replacement.

Does anyone know where to get a new set of brushes for the motor, that's what you swap in a rebuild, correct?
Then just clean everything up.

I had a bunch of wires in the way of my AC Breaker and couldn't find it, these photos, though actually of a 62s Door lock breaker, helped me find it as they are in the same location and the same harness..

1652335157157.jpeg

1652335140215.jpeg

One step closer, I remembered this exact same issue on my only other fj60 from 20+ years ago (which my brother still has) , reset the round silver breaker under the dash and the AC started working!

For about 5 min and tripped again when I took it for a drive...

How did I remember it, in my Fj60,/Manuals/AC folder i have this pic saved as "AC Circuit Breaker Reset" (pic is from differnt model, in fj60 its just under the dash sorta near to the steering wheel)

View attachment 3002360

Thanks for the diagrams, that's gonna be a huge help! I have the Tan 81+ manual, and the last diagram in it is the BJ60. No AC Diagram.

------

View attachment 3002399

And a digital copy of this, I put it on my personal Google drive, so don't share it around to much,
don't' want a cease and desist and to have to take it down. It's the toyota AC supplement. Again, here for posterity.

Another useful link, here for posterity and so i can reference it.

Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60 Air Conditioning - https://www.deaven.net/~deaven/Truck/fj60-ac.html

Toyota 82650-20011​

Breaker Assembly, Wiring Circuit
1979-1993 Toyota 8265020011

New Circuit Breaker from ToyotaParts.net

-------

Eric-

Eric. Could you send that PDF to me? yotabasecamp@gmail.com

Just for those who follow, I replaced the Fan with a Denso fan from cruiser matt (the aftermarket ones are lower wattage), the breaker, and the fan resister in the AC vent. All wtih new parts. but I'm still getting the issues.

I swapped in a modern 30 amp breaker, just to make sure it wasn't a NOS breaker issue, and the breaker tripped too.

it takes way longer to trip now, but it still does.

It hurts my soul, but I'm probably going to put a fuse harness back in like suggested above.

Just for those who follow, I replaced the Fan with a Denso fan from cruiser matt (the aftermarket ones are lower wattage), the breaker, and the fan resister in the AC vent. All wtih new parts. but I'm still getting the issues.

I swapped in a modern 30 amp breaker, just to make sure it wasn't a NOS breaker issue, and the breaker tripped too.

it takes way longer to trip now, but it still does.

It hurts my soul, but I'm probably going to put a fuse harness back in like suggested above.
I put that fuse set up in mine going on 5 years ago and the fan has never stopped. I dont know what it is about those OEM breakers but it just would not stop tripping on high for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom