Remove ignition key while in gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gray Rider

SILVER Star
Threads
I had a dealer repair my ignition switch ( a few years ago). The result of the repair was that the ignition key can be removed prior to placing the gear shift in park.

I had always intended to take the vehicle back in and get the dealer to correct the mistake, but I did not do it.

Anyone ever experience this? It might be a one of a kind happening....

I suspected it was one of my patented anomalies!

Our 99 LX has been that way since we bought it. It hasn’t bothered me enough to be a priority over the other things that have needed to be fixed on that vehicle.

Good to know, jLB!

I had a dealer repair my ignition switch ( a few years ago). The result of the repair was that the ignition key can be removed prior to placing the gear shift in park.

I had always intended to take the vehicle back in and get the dealer to correct the mistake, but I did not do it.

Anyone ever experience this? It might be a one of a kind happening....
I would check the threads about replacing broken lock cylinders. There is information in them regarding this issue.

Kind of a downer point if I sell it tho....By the way, remember to tell you high school teenager new driver to always set it in Park!

10-4 Eye. I'm sure it can be fixed.
I will take it back to a dealer and say "you guys did this". and then re-
buttle to "the heck you say"

Well, there is that! But we got to keep it teen-proof!!!

I had a CRV that would do this, honestly I loved it. Forgot something in the house? Dont have to turn the truck off to use the house key. Driving down the road and forgot someting in the locked glove box? Just pull the key out and unlock it. Many a time my dog got locked in the car running with the AC on while I ran in somewhere to get something lol

But we gotta err on the side of safety, Scoty!

I had a CRV that would do this, honestly I loved it. Forgot something in the house? Dont have to turn the truck off to use the house key. Driving down the road and forgot someting in the locked glove box? Just pull the key out and unlock it. Many a time my dog got locked in the car running with the AC on while I ran in somewhere to get something lol
That was common in the fifties and sixties. I remember a lot of cars did that.

Well, there is that! But we got to keep it teen-proof!!!
My (now 23 year old) son tried to prove nothing was teen-proof, either through brilliance, or self absorbed stupidity 😂

Possible solution in this thread:

Good find jLB! I will check it out....

My older 80's Toyotas did this. It was actually pretty nice when off-road, as they keys weren't clanking.

Not so great when by buddy rolled his pickup though. He was trying to kill the engine and couldn't find the keys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom