1960 FJ25 FST's Ebony & Ivory (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scoobiedubes

SILVER Star
Threads
I kept this under wraps last couple of years basically out of embarrassment of becoming like many of you other degenerates with too many cruisers ;) kidding of course, so glad we all have each other...

I bought John aka @Living in the Past pair of 1960 FJ25's shortly after I bought the FJ28 "Project Lara" truck a couple of years ago. Thought process at the time was that if I needed 20 series parts this was my best bet vs the painful search for individual parts. However, both trucks are so complete I haven't been able to bring myself to take a single part out of either of them so they've just been sitting. Over time I've also been able to secure most everything I think I need for the 28, and with that project taking the incredibly slow path to restoration I decided last week to get started getting these two back on the road, one at a time. Finally got a better garage space which makes all the difference. My kids are getting a little bigger (4 and 7 now) and like to help daddy in the garage too, so this will likely be a slow process but thankfully neither of the trucks needs the insane amount of body work the 28 needs so I'll just work on them as I have time over the next few years. Also have a retired friend that likes to stay busy and wants to help me out.

Photos from when I picked them up from John a couple years back before putting them in storage.
1652203358393.png

1652203386397.png

1652203396130.png
1652203424397.png
1652203408131.png

Body-wise Ivory is in far better condition, virtually zero rust the only issue being some big dents in the rear floor from a massive DIY rear bench that used to be in there. I'll have to fill those holes and try to get that all straightened out. Ebony has a lot of rust in the floors, and I will probably have the body guy currently working on the 28 make me new floors for that one when he finally finishes the 28 (who knows when that will be!)

Only Ebony has the original seating and FST bows. Not sure if I'll just make due with some 40 series seats for Ivory or if I'll try to find somebody to replicate the originals from Ebony.

Mechanically both are very complete, original drivetrains and don't really seem to be missing anything major. Both turn freely, but neither has run in many years.

I have a set of wheels for Ivory (Ebony has them already), and was thankful when @TRAIL TAILOR made new 25 bumpers so I could pick one up for both the 28 and Ivory.

Photos of the engine bay for both. Ivory actually has a factory PTO, but I will probably put that into the 28 and swap the trans humps.
1652204481375.png

1652204496529.png

1652204527112.png

I am starting on Ivory first. This morning I drained the gas tank and put in a new battery. Working on reconnecting everything today to try to see if she will fire up. It has the original SD40, and rather than rebuild that I'm just going to swap in the SD40 I pulled out of my 45LV when I put the sniper kit in it. But I do probably need to get a couple of carbs rebuilt at some point since I'm just borrowing from one truck to the other. I don't see any rebuild kits anywhere though, if any of you know where to get them let me know.

1652204748727.png

I was sorry to see them leave my 73 FJ40 FST was happy to get garage space. Now my 65 FJ45LP-B is in there as well. I still need to deal with these.
20220410_121615.jpg

As for rebuild kits I haven't even looked at buying since I finally found a period correct one barrel for my 68 FJ40. That was around 2000. In 2005 my son destroyed the clutch in short order. I am not sure how he did. Gave up on him replacing it. Need to get it done and on the road by July 2024. That will fifty years since I bought it.

I picked up kits from cruiserteq but dang looks like they’re out of stock

Maybe?

or?

I think the the kit is 04211-60086 for carb 21100-60086. I think. 😆

Last edited:
I am starting on Ivory first. This morning I drained the gas tank and put in a new battery. Working on reconnecting everything today to try to see if she will fire up. It has the original SD40, and rather than rebuild that I'm just going to swap in the SD40 I pulled out of my 45LV when I put the sniper kit in it. But I do probably need to get a couple of carbs rebuilt at some point since I'm just borrowing from one truck to the other. I don't see any rebuild kits anywhere though, if any of you know where to get them let me know.

View attachment 3005287
My SD40 runs like a top with its dry-rotted seals and it refuses to leak. I would try the existing carb first (fill the float bowl with fuel through the vent port above the inlet) and bottle feed it with the tank disconnected. Ditto on the fuel pump working after being non-op for some 20+ years.

If you need a kit seems I bought one of the last non-solenoid kits from Cruiserteq.

However, if yours has a solenoid and you want a new unopened kit for free (bought the wrong one a year or so ago) I'd be happy to contribute. Only issue is it's in Africa and you'd have to ship from here.

Awesome thread in any event and look forward to the journey.

I picked up kits from cruiserteq but dang looks like they’re out of stock

Maybe?

or?

I think the the kit is 04211-60086 for carb 21100-60086. I think. 😆
Maybe I’ll reach out to them and see if they know where to find some more. Thanks for the heads up!

Here’s a pic of the kit
IMG_3766.jpg

I bought two NOS sets from “Karatan corner” on eBay. He is from Indonesia and has more early parts. Good guy to deal with.
Part nr. 04211-60080. I did not use the sets yet but they look right. He said he had multiple. If you can’t find him on ebay, I have his mobile number, he uses WhatsApp.

Well, first test was a non starter. As in, bad starter. There’s a place in Phoenix that rebuilds them that I’ll take it over to, but it’ll probably be stuck there for a while. In the meantime I think I’ll see about pulling the one out of Ebony tomorrow and see if that one works.

I bought two NOS sets from “Karatan corner” on eBay. He is from Indonesia and has more early parts. Good guy to deal with.
Part nr. 04211-60080. I did not use the sets yet but they look right. He said he had multiple. If you can’t find him on ebay, I have his mobile number, he uses WhatsApp.
I sent him a message on eBay. Thanks for the tip! If I dont hear back I’ll let you know.

She’s alive!! Replaced the old delco fuel pump with the Kyosan hand primer pump, new fuel filter, battery and with surprisingly little effort (banged on the starter to wake it up for now) she fired right up. Going to replace the plugs & wires, and probably the distributor cap next. Looks like it’s got an auto zone dizzy, but @pardion found an OEM for me that's on the way.

In the meantime I’m going to take the seats from Ebony out and get them prepped for cushions and upholstery in the next few weeks. Those weird Recaro seats are pretty hideous. What have others done for cushions on these old seats? Any recommendations appreciated. Hopefully I can find the proper red colored vinyl too. How was the upholstery attached to the frames originally? Nothing left but frames right now so I can’t tell for sure…

Last edited:
She’s alive!! Replaced the old delco fuel pump with the Kyosan hand primer pump, new fuel filter, battery and with surprisingly little effort (banged on the starter to wake it up for now) she fired right up. Going to replace the plugs & wires, and probably the distributor cap next. Looks like it’s got an auto zone dizzy, but @pardion found an OEM for me that's on the way.

In the meantime I’m going to take the seats from Ebony out and get them prepped for cushions and upholstery in the next few weeks. Those weird Recaro seats are pretty hideous. What have others done for cushions on these old seats? Any recommendations appreciated. Hopefully I can find the proper red colored vinyl too. How was the upholstery attached to the frames originally? Nothing left but frames right now so I can’t tell for sure…
Im sure a upholstery shop will have some recommendations for cushions for a convertible. I’m short so I had the cushions made a little bigger/taller. Finding a close color shouldn’t be hard also with options from a upholstery shop.
I can send you a sample of original red if you want.
The upholstery has extended flaps that screw into the frame.
A367C653-FA40-4846-BF95-F09F8DD0F8A9.jpeg

Im sure a upholstery shop will have some recommendations for cushions for a convertible. I’m short so I had the cushions made a little bigger/taller. Finding a close color shouldn’t be hard also with options from a upholstery shop.
I can send you a sample of original red if you want.
The upholstery has extended flaps that screw into the frame. View attachment 3006349
swatch would be awesome if you have one Antony. If I'm gonna do it I might as well get it right :)

anybody have a need for this aftermarket soft top, doors and bows? I’m either going to run this as an open top or have some bows and a top made eventually so I don’t think I’ll ever use these again. Vinyl is in ok shape. The plastic windows are faded and worn and the zippers need work too but if anybody has a need let me know.

EB08D09C-7A04-4579-808E-F84A8A75C383.jpeg

420A5E9C-5E23-4B90-8D71-8A87D7AAAE33.jpeg

anybody have a need for this aftermarket soft top, doors and bows? I’m either going to run this as an open top or have some bows and a top made eventually so I don’t think I’ll ever use these again. Vinyl is in ok shape. The plastic windows are faded and worn and the zippers need work too but if anybody has a need let me know.

View attachment 3007910

View attachment 3007913
Maybe see it @orangefj45 son could use? I saw on instagram he is working on an FJ25.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom