Battery isolator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone ever tried this product for a dual battery setup.??

DBDD35A2-4CEC-4837-B794-DD4D99D4FDF5.jpeg

No but Andrew St Pierre White says to never trust a battery isolator, they will fail.

So I purchased the one received due to an overland we I follow and he used the same isolator with similar items as I did..

I might return it and get the Red Arc isolator instead because of the interface with all their other stuff.. it’s just gonna hit the wallet differently and as we know, gas is a commodity for these trucks..

I would look at the National Luna.
I keep waffling back and forth between a National Luna and a Hellroaring setup once I go dual battery. Still have to free up some space in my engine compartment though to accommodate a driver's side battery.

A mud member gave me a whole National Luna kit for me sending him a random carb part years ago. That made it an easy choice.

If I wasn’t going to do that, I’d do something simple like this:

I did the Blue Sea linked above. No complaints. I generally run with the batteries disconnected but periodically connect to make sure the second battery is well charged. This system has come in handy 2-3 times when I've self-jumped because the starting battery was low or had a loose connection. My primary reason for installation was to have a second battery dedicated to winching.

I did the Blue Sea linked above. No complaints. I generally run with the batteries disconnected but periodically connect to make sure the second battery is well charged. This system has come in handy 2-3 times when I've self-jumped because the starting battery was low or had a loose connection. My primary reason for installation was to have a second battery dedicated to winching.
I wanted it for the same reasons.

To self start and to run the winch a little more stable.

If I was running a fridge non stop, I’d go a little fancier.

I’ve run my fridge off of my single primary optima yellow top for a week while wheeling and the truck always started.

PSA dual battery setups do not necessarily have to include an isolator. I have mine wired in parallel with the DS battery grounded and the PS battery connected to load. I also have a 100w solar panel connected to the setup and it provided plenty of capacity for running my fridge, cell phone booster, laptop, LED lights, etc on a recent trip. I already had a booster pack which I keep in the truck just in case but I've never needed it with this setup.

Reactions: OSS
For me I want redundancy for the sake of self jump starting, winching once I eventually invest in one, and for jump starting others when needed, plus the ability to isolate and run accessories from the secondary battery when I'm camping. I like the meter that comes with the National Luna setup, but if I could do a dual voltage regulator in a set of Speedhut gauges, that would more than likely steer me back to the Hellroaring again.

I went cheap with a solenoid. Been fine for a couple of years now... If it fails, I guess it would just stay open, in which case it would be easy to jump when you need a charge.

I may step up to a dc-dc unit if I replace my lead-acid house battery with a lithium.

I've got that unit (or the same with a different band name, but looks the same) in mine, haven't used it enough to say much, just liked the idea of keeping them both topped up for me.

I’m using the Ironman 4x4 DC/DC charger. Easy to wire up. Seems to work really well.

I tried one of those cheaper isolators originally and as soon as I hooked everything up, my power steering fluid started boiling… Still don’t understand that.

For me I want redundancy for the sake of self jump starting, winching once I eventually invest in one, and for jump starting others when needed, plus the ability to isolate and run accessories from the secondary battery when I'm camping. I like the meter that comes with the National Luna setup, but if I could do a dual voltage regulator in a set of Speedhut gauges, that would more than likely steer me back to the Hellroaring again.
You can drop a digital dual volt meter into a switch blank. They’re Carling-size but there’s a lot of options for a bank of Carling switches.

You can drop a digital dual volt meter into a switch blank. They’re Carling-size but there’s a lot of options for a bank of Carling switches.
I had considered that. Not off the table, but I haven't looked too deeply into it. That research will come when I'm at a point of being able to actually spend the money :lol:

PSA dual battery setups do not necessarily have to include an isolator. I have mine wired in parallel with the DS battery grounded and the PS battery connected to load. I also have a 100w solar panel connected to the setup and it provided plenty of capacity for running my fridge, cell phone booster, laptop, LED lights, etc on a recent trip. I already had a booster pack which I keep in the truck just in case but I've never needed it with this setup.

@ntdb can you expand a little more on your setup? I am learning (have no clue) about dual battery/solar setups and would like to do something similar to what you comment. I already have a Renogy 100w solar panel and going to buy an interstate battery for 2nd battery. I want to run a my iceco refrigerator, occasional winch, lights and to charge my cpap battery pack, phone, etc. I want to make sure I wire things correctly.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom