40 series 5 speed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@nogo Any round about pricing at this point? Not going to hold you to it? Just trying to figure out what I need to start putting away.

In for a set or two as well. Patiently and eagerly waiting.

Hit a road block with my H55F swap in a BJ41V. Sigh

Donor transmission came from a 1987 BJ73 (3B + 5 Speed combo).
IMG_0758.JPG

I'll be swapping back the H41 transmission for the mean time.

In for a set or two as well. Patiently and eagerly waiting.

Hit a road block with my H55F swap in a BJ41V. Sigh

Donor transmission came from a 1987 BJ73 (3B + 5 Speed combo).
View attachment 3007500

I'll be swapping back the H41 transmission for the mean time.

What roadblock?

I am out I have found a FJ60 transmission cover section that will be grafted into my FJ40 transmission hump.

I have a different solution for where the shifters come through the floor. FJ60 hump cover

View attachment 3160109

The reason people want the 40 series H55F top cover is to keep the shifters in the stock location when mated to F and B series engines. Non stock V8s and 4 cylinder diesel using the 60 series top cover moves the shifter forward which make a 60 series inspection cover make sense because transfer case shifter in front transmission cane. Doesn't matter what top you use the boss on the case for the transfer shifter uses is in the same location. On the 40 series with a four speed the T case shifter is next to the transmission cane. 40 series with a five speed T case shifter is behind the transmission cane. On 60 series and 70 series T case shifter is in front of the transmission cane. Toyota used two style of top covers for the H55F because it was the best location for the series it was in. When using the 60 series cover in a 40 series the shift cane needs to be bent towards vertical to clear the seat and console. When using a 3F bellhousing it rotates the transmission clockwise a little. Result is the transfer case hangs lower. 40 series would prefer not to have the transfer case lower making the skid plate lower. Only shift cane available from Toyota is made for the 3F bellhousing. Use an early four speed bellhousing the shift moves to the left making shifting even more ackward. Can bend the cane but location back further will not be the same as the original location. This applies to running a stock engine. Non stock engines it's custom, the 40 series top cover might not be the best option.

Fully understand.
But can't get an FJ40 cover for an H55F transmission. I will make the floor work with the transmission.

Besides, I will move the driver's seat as far back as possible to get me farther from the firewall and the 5speed shift lever is shorter than the one that came with the 4 speed transmission. Should be fine.

Fully understand.
But can't get an FJ40 cover for an H55F transmission.

Couldn't find a cover for sale in the US. With help was able to purchase this in Australia.
P1050218.JPG

Other than the B engine input shaft everything is there to install this in an FJ40. I purchased a second cover from Canada.
IMG_20200218_161337580.jpg

Besides, I will move the driver's seat as far back as possible to get me farther from the firewall and the 5speed shift lever is shorter than the one that came with the 4 speed transmission. Should be fine.
I am not familiar with your diesel conversion. Generally four cylinder diesels are shorter than F engines. Depending on the adapter could move the transmission far enough forward to use the stock location for the transmission shifter. Your are correct the 60 series shift cane is shorter than the 40 series and the 70 series. Because the one available is for the late 60 series it will be further left to make up for the 3F bellhousing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom