Shopping for a 4.5" grinder, advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Decided I need a 4.5" angle grinder/cut off tool. So freekin' tired of not being able to cut/grind/shape metal properly when I really need to. Currently need to manipulate some 3/8" steel material.
Should I be looking for at least a 10A unit? I'm pretty set on anything from Makita or Milwaukee.

I could go to Home Depot right now and pick one up for instant gratification's sake. Then there is the whole "big box store" reduced quality level conspiracy, which I wouldn't doubt one bit about being true. One of those may serve me quite well, but also don't mind paying more for better sh!t.

Any opinions and or advice on model numbers or sources to find a solid grinder??

If you’re using it for home nonprofessional use, Id just pick up whatever battery powered equipment brand you own already if you want cordless.

I run all Milwaukee stuff and just buy the tool only from my tool supply house. I gladly pay more money not only because it’s local employee owned but they keep track of all my serial numbers and warranties.

I think there used to be some truth to the different quality from the tool houses versus box stores but I’m not sure that’s true anymore. I’ve had my brushless Milwaukee going on 4 years now with no problems for all my portable jobsite needs but for my home garage where I have power available I bought three of the same corded Metabo grinders and I leave a wire wheel, flap disk and a cut off wheel so I don’t have to switch blades. You can get three grinders for the price of one cordless

Last edited:
I don't have much experience with cordless grinder TBH but I'm thinking that for serious grinding work you are just better off with corded. I would guess that a 5Ah 18V would not last much more than 15 minutes when pushing it in seriously, but somebody here will know for sure. And if I'd go corded, I would go as powerful as I can reasonably afford. I would also go for variable speed. And with a paddle switch.
I'd put a wanted ad on Craigslist actually, there is bound to be somebody out there with one who does not use it.

Ha. Just bought the 11A Milwaukee with paddle switch today at HD for $120. Coulda bought the equivalent Hercules at HF for $75 but just said to myself screw it. For home use it’ll work great I’m sure.

I played with a couple others and decided I liked the Milwaukee switch the best. Not variable speed; I’m ok with that.

I’m just a hobby welder but do quite a bit with metal. I've Had good luck with cheap grinders and have two of these I picked up when they go on sale for $30:
Amazon product ASIN B07L21GNHL
I also have three of the older corded harbor freight ones which still do their job.

I always open them up when I get one and clean the cheap grease out and replace it with better quality grease.

Last edited:
Makita all the way. I've done fabrication at a professional and hobbyist level for over 20 years and have had one grinder that entire time, which is my Makita 5". I've tried a few others along the way but the Makita just works, it feels right in your hands and the trigger is easy to grab and smooth to engage. I know you're looking at a 4.5" but I really prefer the fit and feel of the 5 inch version if you are doing serious grinding. Looking at the offerings now they don't appear to be much different in form and function than my 20 year old unit so that should tell you Makita is pretty happy with what they've made.

Mine is the 20 year old version of this: Makita USA - Product Details -GA5010Z - https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/GA5010Z

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, thinking I’ll probably just go to “big box store” and get the best Makita/Milwaukee I can find there.
This is for home/hobby use, like many of us here, it will serve well.

Will be adding battery powered impact/driver to the list soon, likely the M18. I'll do some shopping around for those.

Currently have a dewalt and cheapie harbor freight.

Both have been flawless and I beat on them pretty heavily. And if they take a 💩 my feelings aren’t hurt.

Actually surprised at how well the cheap harbor freight has held up. I’ve had it hot enough you couldn’t hold onto it without a glove and it still works every time.

Fleet farm had a great deal on a Milwaukee m18 set awhile back. Drill, driver, grinder, circ saw with batteries and packout. I use all the m18 stuff for work and home.

I have one HF that I've had for 10 for years maybe more. But it is the orange one that was sturdier than others at the time. They did have some really cheapo ones too, I would not think those would have lasted as long. And I also did put in good grease right after getting it. Surprisingly, it did have some grease in - not a given for HF.

I've got the corded, 11 amp Milwaukee grinder and love it. Battery powered tools have come a long way, but for something that operates with a high duty cycle like a grinder you can't beat the robustness and power of a 120V motor. I'm confident that my grinder will still be working hard long after the equivalent battery powered one is outdated and worn out.

Hop on Craigslist and buy an older Black and Decker for cheap.

Black and Decker's "thing" was industrial angle grinders and heavy hand drills back in the day. They stopped making the industrial lines in the late 90's, but there are still a ton of them out there.

The battery angle grinders are a serious disappointment.

Black and decker. I have 4. $30 on Bezos and don't die. So cheap I have one for every kind of disk I use. Slide switch.

I use a cordless for a wire cup. It's more controlled than a corded one. Gotta have a good battery. It's worth it for some stuff, but I use the others more.

I need to build a project binky grinder scarecrow.

Last edited:
^^ Plus, you don't have to deal with the smaller and smaller wheel that invariably won't get in to what you need to cut - but the wheel is still too big to just throw away, so you end up with a pile of partially used wheels.

I've got a pair of Makita corded grinders that I've had for decades. Usually one has a cut-off wheel and one has a grinding wheel so I don't have to swap back and forth.

As I expanded my cordless tools I ended up with a pair of DeWalt 20V grinders set up similarly. I also have a DeWalt 60V grinder that usually has a flap disk on it. All three are great for little jobs here and there, but even the 60V goes through batteries if you're really grinding on things. For that I still go with the corded ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom