FJ40 Distributor Air Filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know what will work as an acceptable replacement for the '75-'80 FJ40 Cabin Air Filter for the Distributor (Toyota PN 17810-61010)? That is discontinued.

If not, is it possible to clean out and rehabilitate an existing one? Can I blow it out?

1651965658442.png

Last edited:
there should be 2 nipples on the cap 1 on each side of the coil wire.
1 line goes from firewall to the cap and the other goes from cap to air cleaner
it is to let the distributor "breathe"

there should be 2 nipples on the cap 1 on each side of the coil wire.
1 line goes from firewall to the cap and the other goes from cap to air cleaner
it is to let the distributor "breathe"

That's what the drawing shows too. I only have a single nipple (I'm only using one; there is a second one with plastic breather cap on the top of it). I don't see any place on the back side of my air cleaner to run a hose to from the Distributor, thus I'm not running the second hose. I think I actually have an Air Cleaner from the later model (79-80) FJ., which may explain why.

II guess my initial question had to do with the fact that the Outlet on the firewall is a large diameter nipple, and the nipple on the Distributor cap is more of a Vacuum hose size. My hose doesn't fit it well. I jerry-rigged it with a Vaccuum hose on bottom and the larger hose over the top. That all I could figure to do. Not sure if Totota had a different hose with two different ends or not.

I pulled the Filter, and now I'm asking about a filter replacement.

Does anyone know what will work as an acceptable replacement for the '75-'80 FJ40 Cabin Air Filter for the Distributor (Toyota PN 17810-61010)? That is discontinued.

If not, is it possible to clean out and rehabilitate an existing one? Can I blow it out?

View attachment 3002882

That's what the drawing shows too. I only have a single nipple (I'm only using one; there is a second one with plastic breather cap on the top of it). I don't see any place on the back side of my air cleaner to run a hose to from the Distributor, thus I'm not running the second hose. I think I actually have an Air Cleaner from the later model (79-80) FJ., which may explain why.

II guess my initial question had to do with the fact that the Outlet on the firewall is a large diameter nipple, and the nipple on the Distributor cap is more of a Vacuum hose size. My hose doesn't fit it well. I jerry-rigged it with a Vaccuum hose on bottom and the larger hose over the top. That all I could figure to do. Not sure if Totota had a different hose with two different ends or not.

I pulled the Filter, and now I'm asking about a filter replacement.

the filter on the cab side of the firewall? not sure I've ever replaced one of those, it's not much of a filter, more like it keeps the big stuff out.
only 1 nipple on the cap doesn't work very well for air circulation.
the hose going to the air cleaner "T"s into another line

the filter on the cab side of the firewall? not sure I've ever replaced one of those, it's not much of a filter, more like it keeps the big stuff out.
only 1 nipple on the cap doesn't work very well for air circulation.
the hose going to the air cleaner "T"s into another line

Yeah…. It’s a small filter hidden behind the controller for the carb cooling fan, both. Both are behind the plastic vent that goes to the heater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom