STOLEN!! FZJ80 southern New Mexico (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just curious even if it is in Mexico and spotted can anything be done at that point.
Sorry to hear, @stockmax...

Couple of thoughts:

Obviously alert nearby departments.

Also Mexican authorities, however that works.

Unless it traveled inside another vehicle, I can't imagine that Border Patrol / Whatever doesn't have footage of your Cruiser and probably occupants crossing the border, if now in Mexico. Even without the proper plates, they should be able to bring it up very quickly unless they're more incompetent than I think. Whether they'll bother doing that for you is another matter. Alert them anyway (or have a PD do it, or both), in case the vehicle has yet to cross, or will cross again. Provide DETAILED photos (including any interiors shot through driver or passenger window) to them and all agencies. There aren't a lot of 80s out there. Fewer with stock roof racks. Zero others with whatever markings, rust, tweaked gutter or other damage yours may have in the same spots yours has it. If their cameras can see people 7 miles away, anything crossing at a checkpoint should be a sitting duck for instant AI ID.

If spotted in Mexico--and not saying I recommend this--some would be inclined to steal or buy it back. Might make for an interesting return-checkpoint conversation. Be damned sure to thoroughly search the vehicle before return. Maybe even call your home PD and let them know the score when on your way. You COULD call US border authorities. Probably just create problems if the vehicle is clean, but could save your a** if it's stuffed with something you didn't find...

UPDATE!!

Good news: it’s been FOUND

Bad news: it was involved in a substantial crash that took out a pine tree.

What I currently know about it’s state is that both airbags deployed, the hood, rad support, and fenders are clearly toast along with the lights/grill. Sunroof is also broken but that appears to be from a branch and not impact related. Both driver and passenger doors open and close easily. Also good news, whoever was in the vehicle clearly hit their head on the windshield and injured themselves so **** them, I hope it still hurts.

What I don’t know is how long it was left running after impact and if it sat overheating and now has engine damage along with how extensive the damage to other front end components may be.

Now, I need to try and assess the state of this thing from 1,000 miles away and figure out if I really want to tackle this project. Body work is not my area of expertise in any way so I’d probably look to have the majority of that work like replacing the core support done (semi) professionally.

So, what do I do from here? Do I try and restore this thing if just let it go? It’s “free” to me at this point and all money would go into restoration from here on out.

2EFEDCDE-998B-4B4D-8BB3-E387710FD73C.jpeg

0D34ECED-C9CE-45E4-A492-7B46CD18BBFD.jpeg

87BC57EB-5415-4768-982B-750E0CEA0D75.jpeg

E6D27943-9364-460B-B7DB-E99792F08922.jpeg

I hope the A-holes that stole it are cut, bruised and have other painful physical ailments. Because their conscience is fine!
Where was it found?
I have to agree with starting over. There are a lot of really good re-sellable part on that 80 though.

devo

Salvage it for resto or parts vehicle. Car engines usually stall with substantial frontal impact.

Sad to say, I agree. Keep it for parts.
Was it found 1,000 miles away?
More backstory if you care to tell
It was found about 11 miles from where it was stolen on a backroad in southern New Mexico. I live in California so it’s not very convenient for me to go see it in person. I do have friends and family in the area (that are familiar with cars) that I’ve asked to go take a closer look for me.

If there’s frame damage I’m likely going to do the smart thing and just walk away and let the current owners (also family friends) part it out.

Yeah, that thing is totalled. Fight the insurance companies first, second, and third bullshi* offers and make sure to get a fair settlement. Than use the money to buy a new one or something else.

Yeah, that thing is totalled. Fight the insurance companies first, second, and third bullshi* offers and make sure to get a fair settlement. Than use the money to buy a new one or something else.
Unfortunately it wasn’t yet mine and the owners only had liability on it. So the only value will be in what we can salvage from parting it out.

Unfortunately it wasn’t yet mine and the owners only had liability on it. So the only value will be in what we can salvage from parting it out.
I would think, in theory that they could sue the fine gentleman (or lady) who pilfered the vehicle:bang: I'm sure they are fine upstanding citizens, and, that they will have sufficient liquid assets to cover the loss. [insert facepalm emoji here]:rolleyes::censor:

That’s thing still has value. I would buy that for let’s say 500-1000 and if you or family have a dry place to store it keep it than after you find your next rig pillage all the parts. It’s easily a couple thousand in parts if you where to take the time to part out (pain in the ass). It would cost a lot to fix that even with a good body guy some of those parts are very hard to come by. Sorry for your luck but look at the bright side now you get to maybe find one without all that sun damage and some di*% heads blood all over it.

That's a total loss. Walk away.

Who would steal it and also afford to keep putting gas in to drive it?

J/k, sad to hear it was stolen but glad it turned up but sad that it's totaled

Why is the passenger side windshield broken. Looks like a skull impact, but the airbag deployed. So...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom