Pull motor or motor with tranny? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fj80oregon

GOLD Star
Threads
Hey mud I’m done rebuilding my 95 1fz and ready to swap it in to my 97. I’m going to pull the front end apart core support, hood and grill and wanted advice on swapping my motor. This will be my first swap. My current motor is running and driving great along with the transmission shifting smooth. I picked up a used motor and Tranny, rebuilt motor from the bottom up. Should I leave my transmission in when I swap or pull it out? Is it easier to pull motor with Tranny still attached? Which will be easier? Should I have my transmission that’s currently out rebuilt? I know this is a lot of questions🤯 I like to overthink stuff before I get in the middle of it.
Thanks In advance! Photos have already been posted on other threads. I feel like I can’t post without pics (mud rules)

28AF344E-41D5-47F8-B021-F6F508970881.jpeg

1DAA5E81-0241-49AB-87E7-C2D82A037FBB.jpeg

9D6B427F-76B8-43A3-8152-E92B0AAECD8F.jpeg

65881752-DFBB-4E3B-8308-49E4CEF4C813.jpeg

68758221-6317-43F9-8B53-EB4EE72F2AD8.jpeg

I pulled the trans and engine as a package. It’s about six of one pain in the ass and a half dozen of the other. You will need to balance the load but you won’t have to access bell housing bolts under the truck.

Even if you want to keep your current trans, I'd pull both together. Speaking from experience, getting to those bolts when pulling the engine, and lining everything up when trying to put it back in, is a major PITA. If you're equipped to pull them both together, I'd do it that way.

I pulled the trans and engine as a package. It’s about six of one pain in the ass and a half dozen of the other. You will need to balance the load but you won’t have to access bell housing bolts under the truck.
Yah I’ll pull them together. Thanks

If anybody wants to help when I do this I can plan a day barbecue, beer And whiskey. I’ll stand around and drink and you can do all the work?

If anybody wants to help when I do this I can plan a day barbecue, beer And whiskey. I’ll stand around and drink and you can do all the work?
I’m in….

Can a swap be done in a day if I have everything disconnected on the rig And ready to go? I assume we could get it pulled and bolted back up in a day and I could button everything thing else up over the weekday. Maybe we could rope @shocktower to come party.

HRD hood river distillery 15$ half gallon!!! 😁
Probable some basil Hayden’s is what I usually have around or some suntory Japanese whiskey is what I’m drinking today.

0E174E10-139A-4327-99E6-6C2D300E475A.jpeg

Let’s get her done

I’ve done it both ways. Pulling the combo will take a leveler and quality hoist. Watch the grade of floor and be cautious. Would need to remove grill and valance to clear tail of trans.

Would love to help work on that truck. Got any frequent flyer miles/points ? :)

Top two bellhousing bolts are tough but not a definite game changer. 30” of extension and attack from behind and over trans crossmember with 1/2” impact.

If trans is shifting fine I’d leave it. ESP if no history of “new” 95 trans operation. Existing is Two years newer and likely to have the updated check valve balls in place. Can search for that info if needed but recently suffered a cpu/phone data loss recently :( Info is here posted by Landtank and referenced a couple times by myself and others.

Out and in in a day is doable then finish all the connections and details over the week/weekend. Wiring harness is a pain. Mostly two connectors over starter. And then fishing though Intake runners unless you cut the casting to allow easy street option. There are differences in 95 and 97 harness routings. I believe the connectors are the same but you may have extra wire to secure. 97 crosses to pass side and then back to drive for tcase connectors IIRC.

Some random info here. Not too technical as it was a winter-land whirlwind. This was leaving trans in place

I’ve done it both ways. Pulling the combo will take a leveler and quality hoist. Watch the grade of floor and be cautious. Would need to remove grill and valance to clear tail of trans.

Would love to help work on that truck. Got any frequent flyer miles/points ? :)

Top two bellhousing bolts are tough but not a definite game changer. 30” of extension and attack from behind and over trans crossmember with 1/2” impact.

If trans is shifting fine I’d leave it. ESP if no history of “new” 95 trans operation. Existing is Two years newer and likely to have the updated check valve balls in place. Can search for that info if needed but recently suffered a cpu/phone data loss recently :( Info is here posted by Landtank and referenced a couple times by myself and others.

Out and in in a day is doable then finish all the connections and details over the week/weekend. Wiring harness is a pain. Mostly two connectors over starter. And then fishing though Intake runners unless you cut the casting to allow easy street option. There are differences in 95 and 97 harness routings. I believe the connectors are the same but you may have extra wire to secure. 97 crosses to pass side and then back to drive for tcase connectors IIRC.

Some random info here. Not too technical as it was a winter-land whirlwind. This was leaving trans in place
No miles! Thanks for the input I just read that thread and some great team work going on there! I didn’t even think about the priming of the motor. Any advice on if this needs to be done before installing? I will Be attempting to pull the combo. I have a harbor freight lift and a good leveler. I also got the tractor that can lift also with a chain. I’ll definitely be posting progress as it goes. Did your niece ever buy that two tone collectors edition?

No miles! Thanks for the input I just read that thread and some great team work going on there! I didn’t even think about the priming of the motor. Any advice on if this needs to be done before installing? I will Be attempting to pull the combo. I have a harbor freight lift and a good leveler. I also got the tractor that can lift also with a chain. I’ll definitely be posting progress as it goes. Did your niece ever buy that two tone collectors edition?

Priming can be done after install. Pull coil wire so no spark and spin starter to move lube through system. Them plug it up and fire in the hole.

No :( now wish I had. She’s still in Corvallis missing the old girl.

Fly me out to Oregon and I’m totally in
He me first ;)

Hey mud I’m done rebuilding my 95 1fz and ready to swap it in to my 97. I’m going to pull the front end apart core support, hood and grill and wanted advice on swapping my motor. This will be my first swap. My current motor is running and driving great along with the transmission shifting smooth. I picked up a used motor and Tranny, rebuilt motor from the bottom up. Should I leave my transmission in when I swap or pull it out? Is it easier to pull motor with Tranny still attached? Which will be easier? Should I have my transmission that’s currently out rebuilt? I know this is a lot of questions🤯 I like to overthink stuff before I get in the middle of it.
Thanks In advance! Photos have already been posted on other threads. I feel like I can’t post without pics (mud rules)

View attachment 3002097

View attachment 3002098

View attachment 3002099

View attachment 3002100

View attachment 3002101
I did mine last July together. Advice about a load leveler is 1,000% correct. Be prepared to lube the threads like crazy, I used spray lithium grease.
I pulled mine, 'cause I wanted to throughly clean the transmission & TC. I also replaced all the hoses, etc. In addition, as I remember, getting at the rear heater hoses would be easier (not sure though).
I did everything alone, and I mean everything.:slap: Paying to fly out experienced hands would be totally worth it (cheap, REALLY).:wrench:
Have fun!

Last edited:
I have heard pulling the motor without the trans is easier with the 1fz then the 3fe.

Also if you pull the combo I would lower the front of the rig as much as you can. Small tires aired down. The hoist I used was maxed out.

I have heard pulling the motor without the trans is easier with the 1fz then the 3fe.

Also if you pull the combo I would lower the front of the rig as much as you can. Small tires aired down. The hoist I used was maxed out.
Yeah, great advice.:slap: I didn't think of that. And, to prove how stupid I am; during the project I mounted bigger (not massive) tires. That combined with the vehicle raising because it had ~1,000 pounds out... :bang:
Well, nobody said I was the sharpest tool in the toolbox! But, I still got her in.:meh::steer:

Last edited:

Thanks for the input I am swapping my wife’s snow tires on today and will air down some. Maybe I’ll put your floppy mirror fix on the passenger side that’s been in a box for months now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom