Recommended flasher for LED conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently replaced two burnt out front signal bulbs with LEDs that work well but they do cause the lights to flash at twice the frequency. I believe the flasher is behind the drivers side kick panel on my 96 so access should not be a problem. The question is what replacement relay should I get? Does Mr. T have a later model LED flasher that is compatible with the 80s? If not, is there a quality aftermarket option that fits in the same spot.

I installed this one when I switched to led blinkers. It’s worked fine since 3/2019

Last edited:
Thanks for the references. I will see if I can get either of these. I had thought about changing the rears to LEDs when they burn out. I do use the cruise a lot when traveling so I would be disappointed if the cruise stopped working.

I am still able to use cruiser control with the led lights I bought from superbrightleds.

Front side markers: 194-ahp5 amber x2
Front and rear turn signals: 1156-a18-t-2pk Amber x2
Brake and tail lights: 1157-r27-t-2pk red x2
Parking light and rear side marker 194-rhp5 red x4
3-pin black European flasher relay cf13gl-02

Make sure to double check fitment if you decide to use any of those.

I am still able to use cruiser control with the led lights I bought from superbrightleds.

I would have the cruise control cancel about 75% of the time when I'd use my blinker... annoying when changing lanes on the freeway. Installing resistors at the rear brake light helped. I can't remember the specs of the resistors, but it can be searched.

I’ve been using this one for four years and it works great for led’s. iJDMTOY (1) 3-Pin CF14 EP35 Electronic LED Flasher Relay As LED Related Turn Signal Bulbs Hyper Flash Fix Amazon product ASIN B00XAU66V4
^^^put one of these in^^^ works great. Think you’ve posted this link before and Amazon was where I picked up a couple about 4ish years ago.

And only had a CC issue once since installing LEDs in the tail lights. Turning the 80 off and back on resolved it.

And OP, you’re right on the flasher relay’s location, but it wasn’t easy for me to get to. In fact, it’s tucked up in there pretty good and I had hell getting those three prongs lined up right and properly seated 🥴 worth the effort though. Got so used to the hyper flashing that I thought something was wrong when it went back to “normal”.

Curious as to what tech is in these bulbs that does not require the relay upgrade as stated above? Are you saying you upgraded the relay and then installed all the LED bulbs?

I have just installed bulbs and am dealing with the super fast flashing.

Curious as to what tech is in these bulbs that does not require the relay upgrade as stated above? Are you saying you upgraded the relay and then installed all the LED bulbs?

I have just installed bulbs and am dealing with the super fast flashing.
I installed the new relay and bulbs at the same time. I would have had hyperflash with those leds without the new relay.

Old relay requires more resistance to creat the normal time delay. LEDS dont have that much resistance so it completes it's timing very fast and you get hyper flashing. That is the very non technical definition. But the relays from super right or the one on Amazon are doing the flashing using a different method not based on resistance. So they are just time set. I run all LEDs everywhere and have one of the newer relays from super bright LEDs and i have no issues, a quieter blinker noise and bulbs that last a little longer. No cruise issues for me though.

I just put LEDs all the way around except for the headlights on the '94 that I bought yesterday.

Picked up and installed an LED compatible relay at the same time.

No issues so far.

The relay is available at O'Reilly's, so it's probably pretty common. Likely to find it at most parts sources.

BTW, if you think this relay is hard to install, do one on a 2002 LX470 and then let's talk. 🤣

I took care of this also last weekend. I ordered the relay from amazon shown above. It was a little tight trying to get the original relay out and the new one in, but all is good after the swap.

Done this finally today with my 80 after a long period of procrastination - a very easy job.

CF-14 relay is a direct plug-in replacement for the Toyota factory relay (mine has a newer 89190-32010 but there is an earlier version). All four main indicator lamp locations take BA-15s bulbs. I have JW Speaker brand lamps that I used.

The small side indicators in the fender panel use I think T10 wedge lamps (I'd already replaced those with LED ones).

My Hella 'Transflash' relay (which runs the flasher circuits out through the trailer connector) works just fine, and all the LED lamps operate correctly.

Remember that a cheap CF-13 or CF-14 *cannot* be used with 21 watt x 4 incandescent lamps as the current draw will kill it.

There may be legalities with fitting LED indicator lamps and a relay that does not have any lamp failure detection. The old type relays do this automatically by 'hyper flashing' due to lower current draw when a bulb fails.

New relay is the black blob one in place of Toyota factory flasher.

Last edited:
^^^put one of these in^^^ works great. Think you’ve posted this link before and Amazon was where I picked up a couple about 4ish years ago.

And only had a CC issue once since installing LEDs in the tail lights. Turning the 80 off and back on resolved it.

And OP, you’re right on the flasher relay’s location, but it wasn’t easy for me to get to. In fact, it’s tucked up in there pretty good and I had hell getting those three prongs lined up right and properly seated 🥴 worth the effort though. Got so used to the hyper flashing that I thought something was wrong when it went back to “normal”.
Curious what led lights you used. I bought the relay from amazon as you referenced and tried to install Sat. but it didn't work. Still had hyper flash after installing. I used Sylvania leds. I have leds every where else with no issue.

After reading a 100 threads I tried to replace the relay on my 97 LC this weekend. I had already converted all other lights to led but the signal lights. First the relay wasn't where most threads sent me so I'm posting pics to help those that might have issues finding it. It's under the panel to the left of the dead pedal. You have to remove the dead pedal and pull back the trim to access it. I finally tracked it listening to the ticking sound of the blinker. I was able to pull the original relay and replace it with the led I ordered on amazon as noted above. It did not work. Put the Sylvania leds in and still got hyper flashing so read more and decided I may have too many leds installed already and I can do without the signals being so bright.

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Some of the new relays require the factory jumper. Some don’t. For those of you who still have hyper flashing Have you tried installing the relay again but with/without the jumper to see if it fixes the issue?

Post #20 has more info.

That trim piece comes all the way out man. Prolly would’ve made your life a ton easier. 🤔 that relay is hard to get to anyway. But to your question above: most of my LEDs are Auxito brand IIRC. They’re decent quality IMO. You can get cheaper but they’re garbage.

That trim piece comes all the way out man. Prolly would’ve made your life a ton easier. 🤔 that relay is hard to get to anyway. But to your question above: most of my LEDs are Auxito brand IIRC. They’re decent quality IMO. You can get cheaper but they’re garbage.
Yes...I took it off to remove the relay, just a visual to show where it is.

First the relay wasn't where most threads sent me so I'm posting pics to help those that might have issues finding it.
From the Toyota EWD which is available to download from the resources section.
It makes more sense to go to the information source rather than rely on some guy on the internet.
Left Kick Panel.JPG

FuseBlock.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom