1966 FJ40 preservation/build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks again, 65swb45. I sent the $ via PP, hopefully I navigated the process correctly. If you could let me know if you haven’t received the payment, I’d appreciate it.
Duane
All good Duane. Your parts are boxed (I brought them home last night on a hunch 😉) and will ship Monday.

Somebody has posted repop’d cones recently.
@daner

Cones:

Yeah I can’t believe I brain f@rted Cruiser Cult as the purveyors of the repop’d cones. Sorry Chase @red66toy.

@daner those cones keep junk out of the taillights. One thing though, both the cones and or the taillights are in direct LOS of projectiles from the rear tires. If you drive on gravel with tires that still have some amount of tread, you might consider mud flaps to help prevent rapid deterioration of either (cones/taillights) and the idiot’s windshield who likes to tailgate you on gravel roads 😂. City Racer has some very nice flaps.

Last edited:
Yeah I can’t believe I brain f@rted Cruiser Cult as the purveyors of the repop’d cones. Sorry Chase @red66toy.

@daner those cones keep junk out of the taillights. One thing though, both the cones and or the taillights are in direct LOS of projectiles from the rear tires. If you drive on gravel with tires that still have some amount of tread, you might consider mud flaps to help prevent rapid deterioration of either (cones/taillights) and the idiot’s windshield who likes to tailgate you on gravel roads 😂. City Racer has some very nice flaps.
Haha, no worries! Those were actually a project between Nic and myself a while ago (pre- cruiser cult). He was selling them initially. He joined our rag tag group recently and the cones came with him. :grinpimp:

Completely unrelated topic: I was looking at retail values of FJ40s on JD Powers website, and it list the value of a 1965 hardtop as ranging from $14,300 up to 80k, with an average retail of 31k.

I looked up 1981-and it was slightly less. I obviously prefer earlier FJ40s, but always thought the later models were more valuable due to parts availability and drivability.

(Please feel free to pm me offers in the 80k range!)

Let’s see if we can clean up this rats nest!
0D77A231-641E-4908-A29F-92A976FD8CCE.jpeg

Thanks 65swb45 for the fast delivery of the new rear light assemblies.
Faster than Usain Bolt. Sexier, and packaged better than David Hasselhoff. I guess….would say Pamela Anderson, but yeah….

60AAB96F-81D5-4C42-97A3-E2487B87E3DB.jpeg

I will forward the message to my wife, who handles all the shipping. She is very good at what she does. AND she Puts Pamela Anderson to shame.

I am a happy man.😊

On the road again! Started up first crank after sitting almost six months. Have an appointment with the glass shop on Monday to install the windshield.
I gave myself a budget of $1500 for paint supplies, gaskets and whatnot, as well as five months to get it back on the road. It is on budget, but a few weeks over on time.
I don’t know that I will ever paint another vehicle.
4799E92A-207A-4179-B320-391DFF3C6C82.jpeg
33D0A3FA-D569-4728-B95D-C82E574FC3BC.jpeg

Last edited:
Kind of a follow up on previous posts in this thread, but I ended up buying the Spector Off-road windshield gasket ( that the salesman said wouldn’t fit a 1965), and it fit perfectly. Shout out to the locally owned Central Point Glass shop here in southern Oregon for the great service and price ($145 for the glass and install minus the gasket).

A little clarification on the Specter Off Road windshield gasket for the early FJ40s and 25s
It fit well without cutting or modifications, and the guy who installed it said he had no issues with it. On two corners there is a very small, barely perceivable ripple, which, if I were an OCD perfectionist doing a 30k restoration, might not be happy with.
Part # for the gasket is 120-03a-a
For the key molding is 120-04a
Installation tool is 200-778. (If you plan to install yourself).

Even though my windshield wasn’t that bad (it had chips and air bubbles), the new gasket and windshield really did a lot to clean up the truck as well as make it safer to drive, especially in early morning or afternoon light.

When that gasket gets in the warm sun those ripples will flatten out.

Looking great! Sure has come a long way. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom