Events/Trails 10th Annual 100s in the Hills! *Silverton, Colorado July 22 - 27 2020* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

All the mods I have on my 100 are from companies that have been sponsors of HIH (Gamiviti, Bump It Offroad, MetalTech, Trekboxx) so I can say my involvement with and participation in HIH has also had a huge impact for me just as it has for @nakman
Same here. My truck exists because of HIH. Perhaps a summer trip to Silverton can happen for me and the family. 🤔

The end of an era. Thank you guys, and all who attended the events for the memories 😪

We met some great folks, rode some amazing trails, and fell in love with the San Juan's over the years.

Yep, super grateful I was able experience it with the kids. Thanks Chris and Stan, you guys set the bar high with HIH.

Thank you to ALL who organized this event in the past and made great videos so I could live it virtually. I attended the unofficial event last year and had a great time.
I will be back.

It is our community, the friends that I have made, and this event that has provided so much happiness during the past year.

I owe my obsession and the businesses I was able to start in this community to HIH.

I hope that exceedingly welcoming sort of event continues on in one shape or another. And I hope there's a badass raffle I can contribute to that ignites some excitement and passion into the next person. :D

I posted a variation of this on IG, but I'll post here.

I bought my 100 series specifically so I could take my family to HiH....full stop. When I moved to Colorado I knew I wanted to add a second 4x4 SUV (brought the FJ62 with me) and because of this event I picked the 100 series.

Spent way too many hours on this site reading about them, shopping the classifieds, etc. Ended up buying a badass, supercharged 98 from @torfab that is still running strong.

I've been wondering if it was time to move on from the 100 series and maybe this event going away is a sign to change things up (Anyone interested in a supercharged 98, lol?)

Anyway, I was able to attend HiH 8 and 9 with my family (spouse, kids). At 8 we might have had the youngest kid in camp - certainly one of them. Got hooked up with the PA boys in camp (whom I would get to camp next to at HiH 9) and Peter from LV and his amazing kids on the other side. I remember thinking how crazy Peter was for bringing a very young kid (like mine) all by himself! At 9 I brought some extra bourbon and got to nerd out about whiskey with some of you at Cigar night; had a great time at the kids movie night; got to participate in the ladies run with my wife and just generally have a great time. For us it was all about the camp experience - yes, the trails are great, but the camp time is what made the event so special. Thank you Stan and Chris for the many years of planning this event; hope to see you on the trail.

Has HIHX been canceled? Their website still shows it's on.

Has HIHX been canceled? Their website still shows it's on.
Yes.
Unfortunately, the 2022 event will not be taking place. It’s very likely HIH will not occur again, as coordinating the event has become more and more challenging.
We’ve had a great run and are so grateful to all you who have attended our event and supported us. We are also very disappointed to not have been able to make it to year 10. It was a goal, but all good things must come to an end.
We will see you on the trails. Be safe, have fun, and most importantly, grab some friends and go hit the trails!!
chris and stan

That's too bad. Even though I don't really like crowds or groups on the trail, I enjoyed my experience at HIH8. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of the HIH community.

But the real question... What is the Town of Silverton going to do with a giant "LOO's IN THE HILLS" sign :doh:

Thanks for 3,4,5,7,8,9 each was amazing and we have great memories from those trips!

Running events is really hard. I'm incredibly grateful to the folks that started and ran this event to make it the very special unique thing it was, these guys are some of my most valued friends today. If you attended one you get it. This event is how I came to connect with and join the Rising Sun Club so it absolutely changed my life.
See you all out on the trails!

@87warrior, the banner is probably lost again. Also, Junction City was always my day one overnight spot, I'll miss your cold beer and Dominos pizza. :D

@87warrior, the banner is probably lost again. Also, Junction City was always my day one overnight spot, I'll miss your cold beer and Dominos pizza. :D
It's good to know you found our one commodity!

I have no interest in going but it sure seems like there is demand for this to be a regular event. Wouldn't there be some folks interested in running it if it wasn't a burden to a limited number of organizers? Set up a Colorado not-for-profit, have a board, committees, contract labor, etc. There must be some template for doing things like this.

For anyone who is going to be in the San Juan's the week after HIHX would have happened, maybe I'll see you there. I will be at Ridgway State Park 7/31 - 8/3 and then heading up to 4J campground in Ouray 8/3 - 8/7, hanging out and driving trails with a bunch of club members from High Desert Cruisers (Central NM Toyota 4X4 club). I'll be driving a white '99 LC with BIO rear bumper, Metaltech sliders, Gamiviti Expo++ rack, lots of stickers on the rear window and NM plate.

I have no interest in going but it sure seems like there is demand for this to be a regular event. Wouldn't there be some folks interested in running it if it wasn't a burden to a limited number of organizers? Set up a Colorado not-for-profit, have a board, committees, contract labor, etc. There must be some template for doing things like this.
YotaMD and ADGU are standing by to do what we can to sponsor it and make it happen. We don't have time to contribute, though, and that is likely the "thing" that's needed.

If there's a group of people (or a person or two) with some time and expertise in this sort of thing, we're all ears.

Last edited:
YotaMD and ADGU are standing by to do what we can to sponsor it and make it happen. We don't have time to contribute, though, and that is likely the "thing" that's needed.

If there's a group of people (or a person or two) with some time and expertise in this sort of thing, we're all ears.

You probably don't really need a legal entity, maybe just an ad hoc organizing committee to develop a few rules and the financial basics. The organizing committee would have maybe 6 or 8 people willing to put in some time. Then the committee elects a chair and vice chair every year. Some structure and formality with interchangeable parts would probably improve chances for long term continuity. You could even have a dose of democracy with fee payers getting to vote on some things.

gut blow. The entire reason I bought my 100 series was from watching the videos from the previous HIH events. I was lucky enough to be able to sign up but covid happened. Kids have been asking each summer about going and are excited about it. I get why, but that doesnt mean Im not disappointed.

I would like to say thanks for making this happen for all the years it did. I appreciate that it took tremendous effort to pull off. I made it to 8 and 9. I was also in for 10. It was always well worth the trip.

Importantly to everyone who was planning to come to an HIH event, the San Juans are open to all! It will exceed your wildest expectations. Most of the trails are really accessible to a stock 100. Come on out and make it happen. Post up on Mud and make plans to do a mini HIH with others. People are more than welcome to post up on the Rising Sun forum when they are looking to come out. There are always people on the RS forum looking to join others and make it out to the San Juans. The people on Mud and RS are also happy to offer advice on how to plan out a trip for any experience level and length of stay.

Thanks for the great times, really appreciate the experience we had up there a couple of years ago. I have a chip in my windshield I don't want to replace, I still have the orange sticker badge of honor from HIH8
I'm going back again next summer, and cannot wait.

See you guys on the trails

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom