2l blowing black under full throttle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Ruster

2LT Sufferer
SILVER Star
Threads
Early 2L non turbo diesel in a 1986 4runner. It's very sluggish, struggles for 60 km/h goin up hills. I've noticed anything above 2/3 throttle the truck doesn't accelerate at all, the engine tone doesn't even change, but black smoke will go out the tailpipe.

I'm wondering if the injectors are maybe due for replacing, or maybe I can adjust the fuel screw. EGTs are fine. Even when I free rev it, it'll spew a little smoke.

Here's a few videos if they help at all.

Cold Start:

Hot Start:

As far as I know, the fuel screw is in the stock location, but again, I don't even know how to tell.

Firstly I’d look at the intake, check for blockages, or a dirty or collapsed air filter. Sounds like it’s struggling to breathe at higher rpm. Did this occur suddenly?

To be honest the smoke in those videos looks pretty normal for an old, naturally aspirated IDI diesel. An NA diesel will always blow some black smoke under heavy throttle and load conditions. If you are concerned about the injectors you can get a pop tester for about $100 on eBay or Amazon and check and rebuild them yourself.

Firstly I’d look at the intake, check for blockages, or a dirty or collapsed air filter. Sounds like it’s struggling to breathe at higher rpm. Did this occur suddenly?
Intake should be good. Brand new air filter. One thing I noticed was the engine kinda bogs at low RPM, I'll hold the same throttle position and as the engine revs up, itll get more peppy, almost like the timing is far too advanced.
To be honest the smoke in those videos looks pretty normal for an old, naturally aspirated IDI diesel. An NA diesel will always blow some black smoke under heavy throttle and load conditions. If you are concerned about the injectors you can get a pop tester for about $100 on eBay or Amazon and check and rebuild them yourself.
As long as it's not damaging anything, I don't mind the smoke -fun when a telsa goes by-. How hard is it to rebuild injectors? If I can do it in a weekend it's something I can probably tackle.

Rebuilding IDI injectors is really not difficult. The most important thing is to take your time, be very methodical and organized and keep everything very clean. I rebuilt a set of Mercedes injectors for my G-Wagen in an afternoon, including pop testing and pressure balancing. You will probably want to find a set of new nozzles and an assortment of shims for your injectors to get the pressures set right. If you have the manual for your engine it should have pretty good instructions for the rebuild process.

Rebuilding IDI injectors is really not difficult. The most important thing is to take your time, be very methodical and organized and keep everything very clean. I rebuilt a set of Mercedes injectors for my G-Wagen in an afternoon, including pop testing and pressure balancing. You will probably want to find a set of new nozzles and an assortment of shims for your injectors to get the pressures set right. If you have the manual for your engine it should have pretty good instructions for the rebuild process.
Early 2L non turbo diesel in a 1986 4runner. It's very sluggish, struggles for 60 km/h goin up hills. I've noticed anything above 2/3 throttle the truck doesn't accelerate at all, the engine tone doesn't even change, but black smoke will go out the tailpipe.

I'm wondering if the injectors are maybe due for replacing, or maybe I can adjust the fuel screw. EGTs are fine. Even when I free rev it, it'll spew a little smoke.

Here's a few videos if they help at all.

Cold Start:

Hot Start:

As far as I know, the fuel screw is in the stock location, but again, I don't even know how to tell.

Heres my 2l cold start for comparison

Edit.. forgot the link ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom