Distributor identification, running issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for clarification. So I should be good with either coils. Anything else to look out for in the aftermarket world when ordering? Or just a good quality coil should be good to go?
Thanks

Thanks for clarification. So I should be good with either coils. Anything else to look out for in the aftermarket world when ordering? Or just a good quality coil should be good to go?
The "original" benefit of an external resistor on a coil was to allow for the resistor to be bypassed during starting, to get better voltage to the coil.

The starter draws a lot of current when energized, and battery voltage can drop by a volt or two. lower voltage into the external resistor means even lower voltage to the coil, resulting in a weaker spark.

My 1973 FJ40 with external resistor has a built in circuit that provides voltage during starting to the coil directly, bypassing the resistor, resulting a hotter spark. When the ignition key returns to the "run" position, the bypassing stops, and normal voltage is supplied to the resistor.

The mavens of FJ40 technology suggest the benefit of the bypass circuit is only of real benefit in very cold weather, where battery output is compromised by the effects of the cold on the battery's electrolyte. I suppose it could help with run downbatteries as well.

I have no idea if your model has the bypass feature, which is found on older, non gear reduction starters, with a wire coming off the starter solenoid.

Thanks for that
The "original" benefit of an external resistor on a coil was to allow for the resistor to be bypassed during starting, to get better voltage to the coil.

The starter draws a lot of current when energized, and battery voltage can drop by a volt or two. lower voltage into the external resistor means even lower voltage to the coil, resulting in a weaker spark.

My 1973 FJ40 with external resistor has a built in circuit that provides voltage during starting to the coil directly, bypassing the resistor, resulting a hotter spark. When the ignition key returns to the "run" position, the bypassing stops, and normal voltage is supplied to the resistor.

The mavens of FJ40 technology suggest the benefit of the bypass circuit is only of real benefit in very cold weather, where battery output is compromised by the effects of the cold on the battery's electrolyte. I suppose it could help with run downbatteries as well.

I have no idea if your model has the bypass feature, which is found on older, non gear reduction starters, with a wire coming off the starter solenoid.

Thanks for the info, all good stuff and appreciated. I'm in the UK so doesn't get particularly cold over here. I've not seen any wiring to suggest it has that starting system but obviously hard to say for sure as not many original parts left on the truck.
I think I'll probably just aim for a internal type coil but a high quality, that's readily available in the UK. And see how I get on with that. Still trying to iron out the running issues. But was sat for a very long time. Full strip, flush and service of fuel system and carb at the weekend.
I'll get there.... Got to love the joys of owning a classic car 👌👌😉😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom