89 4Runner Rescue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got around to pulling the oil pan today. I used the video @HawkDriver posted on the ifs oil pan removal. I didn't have a crane, but a length of 4x4 and a floor jack allowed me enough clearance. I got some photos of the bottom end. I don't like the looks of it, but is it salvageable?
IMG_8380.jpg

IMG_8374.jpg

IMG_8360.jpg

This engine have a blown head gasket? That water is coming from somewhere and I'm hoping not a cracked block.

This engine have a blown head gasket? That water is coming from somewhere and I'm hoping not a cracked block.
Thats what the p/o said, but I couldnt see where the hg had failed. If anything it seemed like it had been installed incorrectly bc there was water in all 4 cylinders. Maybe the head wasnt resurfaced or the hg itself wasnt put in correctly. I guess the block could be cracked, there was water when I drained the oil but it wasnt a huge amount.

Last edited:
Take a look at the timing cover. If the timing chain rubbed against it, it will wear through at a coolant passage causing coolant in the oil. I’ve seen this numerous times where the customer thought they had a blown head gasket.

Take a look at the timing cover. If the timing chain rubbed against it, it will wear through at a coolant passage causing coolant in the oil. I’ve seen this numerous times where the customer thought they had a blown head gasket.
^^^^^^^^^ This. Glad you thought of it cuz I sure didn't.

It sure is the frequent cause of coolant in the oil, but it wouldn't cause that rust streak down the main web. That is the part that concerns me the most.

It sure is the frequent cause of coolant in the oil, but it wouldn't cause that rust streak down the main web. That is the part that concerns me the most.
image0 (2).jpeg

Timing cover looks good. Welp, do I start my search for a motor?

Depends on what you want to deal with. See if you can find an engine shop in your area who can pressure test the block? If the block is cracked then you may as well go looking for another engine, but if it passes the pressure test then it could be the head gasket or the head (have it inspected and/or pressure tested at the same time).

Depends on what you want to deal with. See if you can find an engine shop in your area who can pressure test the block? If the block is cracked then you may as well go looking for another engine, but if it passes the pressure test then it could be the head gasket or the head (have it inspected and/or pressure tested at the same time).
Luckily, have 2 heads for the truck. Im just questioning the chances of the bearings having good life in them.

Last edited:
I talked to a few engine shops in the area. The pressure test requires me pulling the block out, and taking it down to be tested. While the block is out it would probably be best to rebuild with how many miles are on the truck. I think at this point I am going to start searching for a motor.

Don't rule out the 3RZ.

Does Portland have any sort of Inspection program? I know how the Willamette can get on some days.

There is emissions testing but idk about inspection stuff.

Im looking at a motor from a 91 pickup, would I be able to use that harness w the 89 runner ECM?

Today I picked up a motor and tranny w T case out of a ‘91 from a guy an hour or so away. Seller says it has around 130k, looks like its around there. Can’t get the T case shifter to move, so I’ll have to read up on that. Overall, pretty happy w the purchase.
8FE48FA5-8894-4F96-AA2F-C1B75E66D793.jpeg

BD8460D2-8FCD-41FD-BF67-EB7F744E91F1.jpeg

61C1BAD7-33AE-480A-942B-0B4EFC893A95.jpeg

The ECM from the truck fit the harness, but shows signs of corrosion. I may need to look at a replacement.
80BC7E3B-797F-4FD1-B31F-45D0EB3474F5.jpeg

Next I wanted to address the transfer case, all it took was removing the gear selector and using a long screwdriver to line up the sliders. I removed the bushing for replacement, after reinstalling to double check that the problem had been resolved.
1977F35D-61F6-4E09-9FE9-7AE394C7B17C.jpeg

I think I’m planning on getting the motor in the truck to be see it run before doing a full tear down, but I do want to replace the clutch parts and rear main seal before installation.
E21FB1C3-0C87-4278-93E2-222F75C27DEE.jpeg
0B7A12BD-1609-4E16-BE59-2B51D75C2E13.jpeg
918DD3D3-26F8-41B5-A9D5-6D60721381D7.jpeg

Last edited:
I used some throttle bottle cleaner and a brush to clean the sealing surface on the crank. I didnt get a before pic, but it looked even worse than the seal.
23091205-8E82-469A-81D3-3286D89BACC4.jpeg
603EBC28-3DC5-4DBA-89E5-F2C0BDC7B6A1.jpeg

Next step might be finding a replacement ecm, and getting the truck ready for the swap while I wait on parts.

That sludge on the rear main cap is a bit worrisome. what does it look like under the valve cover and oil pan?

Last edited:
That sludge on the rear main cap is a bit worrisome. what does it look like under the valve cover and oil pan?
You have me nervous haha

Hopefully I will have some time in the next couple days to pull the valve cover and oil pan to post pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom