HELP!! - Looking at a '94 - What should I pay special attention to? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, the chrome on the wheels is pretty much shot.

I'm going to go to 17" wheels and tires, but I'm gonna keep the original wheels and caps.

Any suggestions for a place to have them blasted and rechromed?

Or should I do something else with them? I was thinking maybe having the chrome completely removed and the wheels blasted and resurfaced with something other than chrome.

What do y'all think? What would you do with the chrome flaking off the wheels?

Also, if I'm going with taller and wider tires, should I look for some flares? If so, any recommended sources other than a junkyard?

If you want bigger tires, 17s will get you much better options. If you want to stick with the stock 16s, I’m not really sure what your options are to resurface chrome. Others should be able to direct you better on this one. Personally, I’d go with 17s. As for the flares, that’s personal preference. Some people love them and others love the slick look. Functionally, they’re great if you want to protect the sides of your truck.

I'm going to go to 17" wheels and tires, but I'm gonna keep the original wheels and caps.

Or should I do something else with them? I was thinking maybe having the chrome completely removed and the wheels blasted and resurfaced with something other than chrome.

Also, if I'm going with taller and wider tires, should I look for some flares? If so, any recommended sources other than a junkyard?
I think you should keep the stock wheels and have them resurfaced with chrome. IMO, the 80 series wheels are one of the most attractive of all time.

You can have the wheels blasted and powder coated any color you like for a 250-500 depending on your area. Than they are the correct offset and keeping things Toyota. Finding anything under a 35” tire should be pretty easy with 16’s. If your going bigger a 17 will be easier to navigate. These are my stock rims with 35” falken wildpeak. Powder coated a dark bronze.

14D74A27-9235-4F8E-8954-458823F5E847.jpeg

9C52CA8A-5A52-44A3-8408-5FF7448534C9.jpeg

5DA015C9-DCF6-4CA2-878E-CB8EC69BB1DE.jpeg

The chrome wheels are a whole different animal.

You cannot "blast off" the chrome. The aluminum wheels are electrostatically and chemically bonded with a copper plating first, then a chrome plating on top of that.

The chrome wheels are shyt. I know, I have them on my 96. The chrome peels, delaminates, then they start leaking. Also, as it delaminated and you have to change a tire, the chrome shards are sharp and will cut you.

My truck came with the chrome as part of the chrome package (chrome door handles, rear-view mirrors, front damage multiplier) and I have replaced all but one of the chrome wheels just to drive the truck. I have bought a set of Lexus wheels, had them blasted and have been working on polishing them (that's a huge undertaking....)

It will be cheaper to buy a different set of wheels (factory or otherwise) and shyt-can the chrome wheels.

I have actually spoken with the chromers to see if I could have them de-chromed, clean them up, then re-plate them and due to liability they will not re-chrome mine due to the pitting underneath the existing chrome. Not to mention cost. It would cost me about $300 PER WHEEL to re-chrome, even if I started with a clean set.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom