Jzilla's FJ60 to BJ60 conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How much of a lift does your truck have?

And what is that turbo intake, and where did you get it

The hose from the air cleaner? It is from Greenline hose, can't remember what it is called, sorry!
The lift? hmmmm let me go check...middle of rocker panel between front and rear tires from ground is 20 inches, right rear corner of rear rocker by bumper is 25.5 inches.
Measured on a gravel driveway so might not be super accurate.

New tire cover. This was not my first choice (I wanted the one that said "LANDCRUISER" straight across the middle for a more stockish look), the one I wanted they could not get.
20150715_201217.jpg

nice project dude, swapping the main wiring harness is a pain in the ass but if you do swap them; over those couple days you will learn lots inside your truck. its not really that hard, and your rear harnesses will plug into the bj harness

i did this in a hj/fj swap

IMG_3619-1.jpg

IMG_3654.jpg

IMG_3707-1.jpg

IMG_3704-1.jpg

IMG_3656.jpg

any pointers on how to wire in the edic? the wilson plug for glow is fairly straight forward but im nervous about the edic wiring. FJ60 to BJ60 both rigs are '84's. thanks

The other thing to note for someone considering this conversion. Its not necessary to swap the wiring harness. Its such a pain the A I could never bring myself to do it.

All you need from the donor rig is the edic controller and the edic motor. You can cut both of these out just make sure you have some wiring on he body side of the plugs.

Wiring is pretty straight forward for these. Off the top of my head.

4 wires go directly between the edic controller and edic motor on the engine, then at the controller you have ground, keyed power, and starter trigger. The wiring is actually in the diagram for the appropriate 60 series body/chassis manual. The basic diagram in the back covers FJ and BJ.

EDIT - also there is one wire from the controller to the small oil sending unit

The other wiring to do involves a momentary switch for the glow plugs which most prefer over the stock controller setup anyway.

hey lynchmob, is the edic controller that easy? Wow! im glad i found this post. Thanks!!!

Been thinking about this for a few years now, looks like it might actually happen soon! Nothing is guaranteed until I actually get the truck up here though! I have great timing too… I am getting married in August.
So the plan is to head down to California near the end of May to pick up an essentially rust free FJ60 and drive it back home to Vancouver. Trying to figure out the best way to approach and prepare for the swap before I get the truck up here. I am hoping to have the diesel engine swapped in and the wiring (which I know very little about) done with as little downtime as possible. I need to have the truck drivable asap as it is my daily driver, I can swap the suspension and other parts in later. I just spent over a month redoing my turbo setup, exhaust and painting rusty bits and pieces to make the swap look good and go quickly. Will try to post up pics soon.

Have an 81BJ60 503,000kms Daily driver for 9 years, runs great, has rebuilt 5 speed, turbo, manual glow and no powersteering, lift, 4.11’s. About 8 years ago the following were done: new head, stainless precups and rebuilt injectors.

Have an 84BJ60 315,000kms (picked up recently for parts) Engine runs really well, no smoke, has 5 speed, powersteering and superglow.
Will be getting an 84FJ60, comes with brand new fuel tank because of warranty, also newly recushioned and reupholstered factory seats as well as all new lenses and the nice big mirrors.

So here is what I am thinking…
Take the powersteering parts out of the 84BJ60 clean and paint what I can and have it ready to bolt on to the 81 engine.
Use the wiring harness from the 81? From what I understand the manual glow system is a better way to go anyways?
Cut engine mounts out of either truck and weld in to the FJ60.
Apparently the 81 vaccum pump is better, so can I take that off and bolt it to the 84BJ60 alternator?
What to do with the FJ60 engine, transmission and transfer when I get the truck up here(where to put it…doing this all in parents driveway and carport!)? Put for sale on MUD and craigslist now? That way while it is in the truck people can see that it works? Or maybe take a video of it running?
Other than that what else should I be thinking of (to get it running asap)?
Thanks for any input!

Wish me luck, just started mine on my parents driveway.

Been a while since I posted. For those interested, I started a YT channel and just uploaded a video covering the latest FJ60 to BJ60 conversion I did.
Please have a watch and subscribe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom