What did you do on your 70 series today? (23 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mission aborted, by now.
Got the wheels off and inspected brakes and knuckels. Rotors are still good, even surface, with little wear in thickness and still well within spec. So are the pads.
Knuckels have no play, neither in swiffel bearings nor wheel bearings. Looked worse from outside than it actually is.

Seals on the back at the knuckel balls do not let significant amount of grease go, and grease is not much diluted and by no means dripping yet. Diff oil shows traces of black MoS2 greas, though (I had an issue here over 1.5 years ago, but apparently got that fixed by cleaning the diff breather. No issues since).
No obvious need to digg into this right now 😀. Don't fix what's not broken...

But here are some question:
At what intervals would I need to take it apart for in-depth inspection and maintenance?
The truck is with me for 2 years now / 12000km. No idea what the PO did.
Are there any telltales indicating the bearings or bushes are about to die?
Is periodic re-greasing through the filler hole enough of a maintenance?
I thought I would do the knuckle job once either the seal fails and oil-greas significantly leaks out, or the rotors need replacement, or anything breaks / gives issues. Is that a good plan?
Thanks for advice Ralf

Hello,

Regarding your questions,
  1. In-depth inspection and maintenance are recommended every 40000 km / 25000 mi. Inspect and replace/repair as needed, according to the manual. 70 Series Land Cruisers follow the "multiples of 40" rule, i. e., major in-depth maintenance and transmission/transfer/differential oil change (the manual says "inspection," but better safe than sorry.) every 40000 km. I think the time between major maintenances under severe operation conditions is 20000 km, but I am not sure.
  2. If the PO used big tires and/or spacers, chances are your axles need maintenance/repair.
  3. If you take apart the hubs and there is oil, chances are your seals need replacement. Usually, the bearings need replacement as well. Wide (12.5 in. or greater) tires and spacers wreak havoc on seals. Worn bearings cause tires to wobble when they are suspended in the air and you push them.
  4. Yes, it is. It is also a stopgap until you have the time and/or resources to replace seals, bearings and axles.
  5. Yes, it is. Front axle rotors are the first to give up the ghost in old age (ask me how I know.) Seals and bearings follow. If you find oil during the knuckle job, take the hub apart (you are in the neighborhood already) and check for oil contamination in the grease.
Pre-1995 front axle bearings may be hard to find. Similar parts are available from Koyo and SKF; I would check if FAG has them as well.

Hope this helps.

Juan

Last edited:
Hello,

Regarding your questions,
  1. In-depth inspection and maintenance are recommended every 40000 km / 25000 mi. Inspect and replace/repair as needed, according to the manual. 70 Series Land Cruisers follow the "multiples of 40" rule, i. e., major in-depth maintenance and transmission/transfer/differential oil change (the manual says "inspection," but better safe than sorry.) every 40000 km. I think the time between major maintenances under severe operation conditions is 20000 km, but I am not sure.
  2. If the PO used big tires and/or spacers, chances are your axles need maintenance/repair.
  3. If you take apart the hubs and there is oil, chances are your seals need replacement. Usually, the bearings need replacement as well. Wide (12.5 in. or greater) tires and spacers wreak havoc on seals. Worn bearings cause tires to wobble when they are suspended in the air and you push them.
  4. Yes, it is. It is also a stopgap until you have the time and/or resources to replace seals, bearings and axles.
  5. Yes, it is. Front axle rotors are the first to give up the ghost in old age (ask me how I know.) Seals and bearings follow. If you find oil during the knuckle job, take the hub apart (you are in the neighborhood already) and check for oil contamination in the grease.
Pre-1995 front axle bearings may be hard to find. Similar parts are available from Koyo and SKF; I would check if FAG as well.

Hope this helps.

Juan
Thank you, Juan.
I have all parts at hand. As I have no idea what the PO did (or not did), I probably should go into it in near future. Just need to find time and get started.
There is however no immediate reason to rush for it. 1st things 1st: I need to pass that inspection first. I'll go for that next week.
Cheers Ralf

Today I went on a day trip into the Agger River Valley (some 70km E of Cologne).
This area used to be one of the first industrial areas in Germany, due to it's rivers supplying water energy. Cotton dying and spinning was big in Agger Valley.
Nice lush hills and forests.
Visited the historic water power plant of Ermen & Engels spinnery from 1903. Friederich Engels, co-author to Karl Marx, was junior manager at his family company's plant.
Also visited some historic buildings and did another speleology tour in Agger cave.
A great day. 😃

20220430_101016.jpg

20220430_105625.jpg

20220430_155711.jpg

20220430_145453.jpg

20220430_105310.jpg

Did some late night mods before heading out west for a few days.
Hood stone chip guard installed and finally got my 30 psi boost Gauge installed. Still haven’t had a tune so no extra fuel yet but I was concerned at how quick the needle shot off the old 15psi gauge with the GTurbo but it slows rapidly once it reaches 15 at tops out at 18.
32B1DF91-8A39-45B7-A27C-62665C43E6A0.jpeg

Changed the glow plugs on my 93 HZJ73. Went good until I broke one *#$&. Just tested the old ones and used the best one until I get a new replacement part. Started right up! Bolts came right out, pretty good shape for being so old.

0C71E32C-A324-41BA-B626-D8C1C3E61E6A.jpeg

AE8A4355-ABAE-427F-B99C-1B65501913A6.jpeg

3FC5BCD3-4145-4A9C-AB12-CA025FF9BCFC.jpeg

Got to lend a hand with getting a pretty sweet project back in motion today. This is going to be so cool when it is done!! @olivertwist
I was wondering how this was going. Hadn’t seen any updates for a while. I had a small part in facilitating this one getting to the US.

Felt like I won the lottery finding a fuel station with diesel at $4.99/gallon. It got even better after calculating an average fuel economy of 29mpg or 8.1L/100km over the last 300 miles. Very happy with the little TDI!

Felt like I won the lottery finding a fuel station with diesel at $4.99/gallon. It got even better after calculating an average fuel economy of 29mpg or 8.1L/100km over the last 300 miles. Very happy with the little TDI!
Price in Germany is at 2.05€/L, thats 8.16$/gal.
Europe discusses an oil embargo against Putin. Media say, fuel prices may rise to 3€/L (11.9€/gal), even with taxes being reduced.
I'll enjoy another trip in my Cruiser the weekend. Who knows how long I can afford it, still.

Price in Germany is at 2.05€/L, thats 8.16$/gal.
Europe discusses an oil embargo against Putin. Media say, fuel prices may rise to 3€/L (11.9€/gal), even with taxes being reduced.
I'll enjoy another trip in my Cruiser the weekend. Who knows how long I can afford it, still.
That’s terrible! My brother and I picked up a 1975 Mercedes diesel last weekend and I’m seriously considering getting set up to run it on waste motor oil. Should help offset the cost of driving the LandCruiser.

Thanks to @Engineer8000of Cape Fear Electronics, my AC works like it is supposed to again.
He tested my ac amplifier and explained how the little black box is supposed to work.
I also used electronics cleaner on the ac's "volume control" dial.
I disconnected my manual override but left its wiring in place so I don't jinx things.
Tons of stuff behind the glovebox.
1651668554465.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom