My Turn - The Mega Dream Garage (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just saw a really
We could sure use some rain where I live; we are in drought conditions and this is supposed to be the rainy time of the year when our aquifers get recharged, but barely anything this year so far. :(
disturbing report about the Colorado River.
At any rate. I think I am back on the guy's calendar for tomorrow. Dude reached out yesterday. There is no way he could have done anything. I took the day off and worked in my yard all day and the site was a sticky, gooey, muddy mess. We should be rain-free until next Monday or Tuesday so I hope to be able to post some pics of a little progress!

Monster trusses delivered.
Getting hung tomorrow!
20220420_173500.jpg

If its not rain the wind is killing me. Trying to get siding up but with 30+ MPH winds and rain on weekends (current noncontract labor redoing the pole barn) Amazing how slow it has gotten done.

Mind me asking what size Skid steer that is? Walking in woods this weekend makes me want to get one to pull the small 4-5 inch oaks all over my place.

Your gonna have a nice shop!

Mind me asking what size Skid steer that is? Walking in woods this weekend makes me want to get one to pull the small 4-5 inch oaks all over my place.
Jon, just hire someone with a rotary cutter/mulcher to take them down. I looked at getting one but my landscape guy said those cutter decks are incredibly hard on the skid steers. He has found it uneconomical to own one and just hires the service when he needs small trees and brush cleared.

Greg, thanks for suggestion. I’ve been down both roads. Hiring help was extremely unreliable and then I borrowed the father in laws new holland with huge mulcher on it. It was pretty cool and I destroyed quite a bit of crap. Unfortunately he is out of picture with family drama so I’m not using going down that road again.

Out of the 240 acres 100+ is heavily wooded. Tons of small 3-5 inch oaks I’d like to clear to open up the canopy. Right now is the wrong time but if I could find decent used one and use it for year with tree puller and sell it then I could manage getting the smaller tractor and brush hog in the woods to maintain it.

If its not rain the wind is killing me. Trying to get siding up but with 30+ MPH winds and rain on weekends (current noncontract labor redoing the pole barn) Amazing how slow it has gotten done.

Your gonna have a nice shop!
It isn't mine (it's the builders) but I will be glad to check it when I get home if it is still there.
I have an L2501 Kubota tractor.

Edit: it was gone but should be back at least once more.

Last edited:
Progress today means rain tomorrow :lol:
20220425_183116.jpg
20220425_183654.jpg
20220425_183542.jpg

Concrete will not be until next week. The weather has jacked up our window, but it is scheduled. Plenty of grading to do before then.

What is done on those posts/columns where they are embedded in the ground to keep them from rotting over time? Anything special? Progress is looking great. I'm having shop envy watching this come to life.
While there are a bunch of options, (coating them, sheathing them, or using the concrete system called Perma Columns that has a pillar that goes in the ground and then the wood post sits on top) really nothing. Just treated posts like you would build a deck in my region.

There is quite a bit of lumber with ground and concrete contact in post and beam construction. So long as you maintain good drainage and keep the termites at bay, this building should outlast you in my climate (north Georgia). (It certainly will outlast me.) Usually it is termites that destroy these buildings if kept unchecked.

So to answer your question again more briefly - nothing.

Also, today's rain was not nearly as bad as it was supposed to be so I hope to see some grading and other stuff happening before next Wednesday's concrete pour.

Edit: I mean NEXT Wednesday's concrete pour.

Last edited:
Forms/ledgers are in and the compacyed base for the concrete.
They have not put the forms in for the pad for the lift but concrete is expected Wednesday weather permitting.
20220502_182044.jpg

20220502_182009.jpg

One more for fun from the far end of the old reservoir.
20220502_182504.jpg

As a structural engineer, I have done a bit of study and research on this style of building. They have a good performance track record, and are very economical. They generally are used as agricultural buildings. Out here were I live, some people build them and live in them.

I'm envious of all that flatwork you have there. Nice!

As a structural engineer, I have done a bit of study and research on this style of building. They have a good performance track record, and are very economical. They generally are used as agricultural buildings. Out here were I live, some people build them and live in them.
Ya know, Barndominiums are becoming the rage. Here one can get appropriate permits to build a structure of this type for a dwelling. My permit process was nil until electric but that means nobody can ever live in it.

I have no updates today and they have not done anything for the lift mount section. I am confide t it will get done properly but I am always suspicious and anxious about stuff like this.

Thats going to be nice 🥃

Ya know, Barndominiums are becoming the rage. Here one can get appropriate permits to build a structure of this type for a dwelling. My permit process was nil until electric but that means nobody can ever live in it.

I have no updates today and they have not done anything for the lift mount section. I am confide t it will get done properly but I am always suspicious and anxious about stuff like this.

I’m curious: What are the loads on the lift posts? Do you have that information?

I’m curious: What are the loads on the lift posts? Do you have that information?
I do have a spec sheet from bendpak. It is pretty weird actually. I will find the link.
In the meantime, the guys are here and geting ready for concrete!

Here is a link to Bendpaks recomendations. It is a bit weird:

An old floor that has aged 28 days can be 5 inches thick but if you pour a new floor they say 12 inches thick. I am sure some engineer might be able to explain this but I really thing it is overkill to go 12 inches thick and likely a cya thing. Mine will be a long 24 inch wide 8 inch deep pad that spans the width of the two legs.

I do not plan to put a lift in for quite a while.

Last edited:
I suggest you make the 8" thick part extend well past the locations where the legs will land. And put a grid of #4 bar in it. If you aren't putting a lift in for a while, the concrete will have time to cure. make sure you take good measurements of where you locate the thickened part!

I'll stop with the unsolicited advice, and wish you good luck with the pour!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom