Hey yall hope someone knows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just to toss a monkey wrench into shackle tech.

Dobinsons designs their leaf springs with less heavy springs and more arch with the shackles when new almost always vertical.

I was confused as I figured the ride would be terrible. I was proven wrong and have since moved all of my personal trucks (but one) and all of my custom builds to Dobinsons for the ride. Truly amazing.

I recently spoke to one of the largest Land Cruiser companies (remain nameless until they announce) but they are switching to Dobinsons for their kits as well.

I am not a SR fan. I’ve done one and hated the nosedive when braking. All else was about the same ride wise.

@lcwizard has a great old post somewhere about shackle length tech that even a salesman like me understood. I’ll go look for it

When I searched it he had answered it about 30 times. This one was small enough to be one photo.

0D356D03-3BE4-44EE-885D-A04CFFA89123.jpeg

Anything is better than a shackle that is nearly vertical like the dogbone shackle in the background. If you are using lift springs, there is a balance of shackle angle, shackle length, and bump stop placement so that you dont "run out of travel" at your front shackle hanger and force the shackle flat and put the leaf spring pack in to a scenario where it is bound from free travel during compression. This will wreak havoc on bushings and the main leaf and possibly rip the shackle hanger off if you aren't a proficient welder. With the flat factory springs, there isn't enough free arch to get into this scenario. May not be enough in a 2" lift spring either, but its something that needs to be considered when setting your shackle hanger location.

Here is a video worth the watch:

Interesting vid….🧐

Anything is better than a shackle that is nearly vertical like the dogbone shackle in the background. If you are using lift springs, there is a balance of shackle angle, shackle length, and bump stop placement so that you dont "run out of travel" at your front shackle hanger and force the shackle flat and put the leaf spring pack in to a scenario where it is bound from free travel during compression. This will wreak havoc on bushings and the main leaf and possibly rip the shackle hanger off if you aren't a proficient welder. With the flat factory springs, there isn't enough free arch to get into this scenario. May not be enough in a 2" lift spring either, but its something that needs to be considered when setting your shackle hanger location.

Here is a video worth the watch:

Spot on. All of it.

Completly vertical shackles will force more "effort" to start the flex. Balance is everything. Some good info here

When Toyota started building 4 wheel drive mini trucks in 1979 they had shackle reversed compared to Land Cruisers.Wonder there reason to change, but never on Land Cruisers?

When Toyota started building 4 wheel drive mini trucks in 1979 they had shackle reversed compared to Land Cruisers.Wonder there reason to change, but never on Land Cruisers?
They also ran the front in a spring over format. Different suspension designs. There are benefits to both. Jeep ran the Shackle forward into the 90's.

2 cents - My fj40 is a soa with shackles reverse, proper angles and all that, If I did it again I would leave shackles up front. Simply have watched various set ups climb various obstacles under various conditions and IMO the shackle forward crawls/climbs better.

Am curious about the Dobinson ?

I loved that kit 😀 25 years ago. It worked well with lift springs to squeeze in some big meats. Lol. The inventor Don Ross I think also ran a 454 his truck was not stock.
Only big issue was the drive shaft like to pull apart I never ran that setup I just went straight to SOA. Hahaha. Cheers all old school cool.

I loved that kit 😀 25 years ago. It worked well with lift springs to squeeze in some big meats. Lol. The inventor Don Ross I think also ran a 454 his truck was not stock.
Only big issue was the drive shaft like to pull apart I never ran that setup I just went straight to SOA. Hahaha. Cheers all old school cool.
Ross Stewart, who walked the Rubicon barefoot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom