Gimme a 60s 3B Engine Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Too late to turn back! Already have the parts truck on my driveway!

623528A5-BF2C-4439-BE37-22CB2A3F0DFB.jpeg

Well congratulations again - you have run the ih8mud gauntlet and survived! Now it is up to you to prove your mettle and get the job done ( doesn't have to be done fast but rather done right). I know you can get this done in your driveway if you maintain your attitude!

A few suggestions for your consideration:

- start a new thread on this forum and/or diesel tech/24 volts and photo doc carefully and post frequently as you go along. This will harness the real power of mud as everyone jumps on board and offers up help (but always remember that grain of salt). It never ceases to amaze me how much expertise and help is available on this site!

- I don't want to speak for BC40 and MarkBC but it seems like they could be your newest best friends. They're local but most importantly they have real lived and current experience in this matter

- consider selling you 3FE to help offset costs

- if you want to run it a long time please consider doing the pre-cups in the head. As fas as I know they are about the only thing that will take out a 3B ( other than a really negligent owner). What they do is take the pressure of that constantly exploding diesel hammer in the pre-combustion chambers. After time they start fatiguing and develop hairline cracks. Your new 3B could already have them. When you put the turbo on you now have a diesel sledge hammer and that's when things can go south. When they fail it is catastrophic! Like BC40 said allot of people have put some stupid high miles on Bj60s! I personally know two guys who ran them out to 800,000Km. I don't say you have to do them right away but just know that they are a potential weakness for longevity. And for all the talk of saving fuel money on this thread, the real savings could accrue if your willing and able to run it a really long time.

- consider that all vehicles have an operating cost. The average cost of running a vehicle in Canada is around $600/month (before fuel) and climbing. When your up and running you will be way under that. But for every month your truck is running put a small fraction of that $600 ( whatever you can afford) in a fund for your cruiser. If 50/ month then you'll have 600 after the year. You can use this for repairs ( probably won't have many) or regular maintenance - tires, brakes, etc. or upgrades going forward. If I pegged my cost of running at 10 cents/KM ( probably 1/4 of new) over the last number of years then 300,000 km at 10 cents is $30,000 that has been created in my fund - my purchase and maintenance costs have been a small fraction of that!

since this is happening good you have a parts truck even if its that rusty. the complexity of diesel swaps is partly up to you. Decisions on only the basics of what the 3B needs to run/stop vrs keeping all the bj60s functions for things like superglow, edic, fuel system etc.

There are a bunch of older threads on 60 3B swaps if you search. a couple links that come to mind:

OPUS1 has a point about precups. Even stock 3Bs left the factory capable of some severe EGTs. I have personally seen 3 trucks with dead 3Bs towed off trail after dropping a precup and seen the carnage of several more. On the other hand, if your crusty parts donour is a good runner with decent oil pressure and compression, you could choose to save that 38 year old can of worms for later. FWIW I never did mine but always planned to some day.

to plink01:
What I suggest is that you seek out someone in BC as close as you can who has a turboed BJ60 and ask them if you can come and "test drive" it and then see how you like it if you want to be sure. That will be good way to cut thru the BS and make your decision based on real life experience - I don't think you will be disappointed.
I have a Turbo BJ60, live in Peachland and commute to Penticton in the truck regularly if you ever want to do this. The truck was originally a FJ60, so we can chat about the swap that we did as well.

gimme a 60 - if/ when you take up mano002's offer please provide us with a report on what you thought about it generally and how it compares to your current 3FE. would be interesting to know that
thanks - OPUS1

I used to have a stock FJ62 at the same time that I owned this BJ60. They feel very different. The turbo on the BJ creates more mid-range torque that you use cruising on the highway. The 3FE is quicker off the line, as it doesn't have to build boost, so the FJ62 was nicer to putt around the city. The FJ62 has a taller OD, so its happier at high speeds. The 3B is really happy at 2500RPMs, which is 100kmh (60mph). You can try to go faster, but then as you aren't paying attention you just slow down to 100 and the truck sits there in its happy place. The BJ60 just trundles along at 100, and its wonderful.

The other thing that is worth noting, is that my FJ62 had AC, so it was nicer for commuting in the summer. I also have the boost turned all the way up, so my BJ60 will overheat when pushing on big hills in the summertime. I have some 3B AC parts from another truck that I may install some day, but I worry it will make my overheating issues even worse.

I used to have a stock FJ62 at the same time that I owned this BJ60. They feel very different. The turbo on the BJ creates more mid-range torque that you use cruising on the highway. The 3FE is quicker off the line, as it doesn't have to build boost, so the FJ62 was nicer to putt around the city. The FJ62 has a taller OD, so its happier at high speeds. The 3B is really happy at 2500RPMs, which is 100kmh (60mph). You can try to go faster, but then as you aren't paying attention you just slow down to 100 and the truck sits there in its happy place. The BJ60 just trundles along at 100, and its wonderful.

The other thing that is worth noting, is that my FJ62 had AC, so it was nicer for commuting in the summer. I also have the boost turned all the way up, so my BJ60 will overheat when pushing on big hills in the summertime. I have some 3B AC parts from another truck that I may install some day, but I worry it will make my overheating issues even worse.

Yea, I will admit, spending a whole day driving my pickup, CAN get exhausting. So I don’t mind a automatic transmission sometimes. However, even though my transmission has been freshly rebuilt, it still shifts Un smoothly and the big ol’ bogmatic make it feel sluggish. In the landcruiser I would much prefer, being Abel to choose my own gears, and shift when I want….. and shift probably smoother too.😉

I guess overall, I have been expecting to get a diesel LC my whole driving life. The truth is, I haven’t been impressed by the Auto trans, and the fuel milage. Like I can’t even have fun with the darn thing because I have to fill it up every gas satiation. And don’t even get me started on the wheeling aspect!

Mano002, you literally live a couple minuets away from me….. remember, i’m actually in Summerland you know what the roads are like here, I think having a 3B truck here would be awesome considering I can go and have fun with my friends and drive around to work, school, trails, ect….. not to forget the amazing learning experience of swapping.

I guess this truck would need to have the AC swapped onto it too. Probably not a bad idea, but I don’t mind going slow.

I am a 3B fan. In fact, I have never owned an LC that did not have a 3B. I daily drove a BJ60 for many years, including trailering with one across part of Canada. It was slow on the hills, but, meh, I really didn’t care.

You either love the 3B for what it is ( as I do) or you think it needs more power. If so, go for it. There is room in the world for both perspectives.

Looks like it came from the east coast !! Haha.. 👍
Body’s rough! Actually came from Alberta, it was driven down there before it was left at a cabin, as a cabin truck. Then, a guy bought it and took it to Vancouver where he daily drove it for 40,000km. Now I have it and am sad to be parting it out. I feel like I’m killing a good old dog. But, the body is way worse in person and it’s not safe to be driven.

Body’s rough! Actually came from Alberta, it was driven down there before it was left at a cabin, as a cabin truck. Then, a guy bought it and took it to Vancouver where he daily drove it for 40,000km. Now I have it and am sad to be parting it out. I feel like I’m killing a good old dog. But, the body is way worse in person and it’s not safe to be driven.

Last edited:
depending on the frame... maybe just switch bodies...
The frame is saveable, but need work. Has some
Holes. My 62 has a really good frame, just makes more sense to put the engine in It’s probably less work as well.

Well guys, not sure if this is a good sign but please look.

BBE080FE-940B-4A91-8835-0393EEBD1612.jpeg

Looks like a head gasket issue here….but it’s on the outside, doesn’t leak into the combustion chamber.

2FA22E54-7A38-4DA1-B453-443FC954D81D.jpeg

I’ve seen head gaskets fail in other cars where it just created an external oil leak or coolant leak. It’s not as common but it can happen

I’ve seen head gaskets fail in other cars where it just created an external oil leak or coolant leak. It’s not as common but it can happen
What should I do? It’s not consuming it. It’s leaking out, extremely slowly. To my understanding, doing head gaskets are a big job on these.

I agree with PistonPete. Looks to me like the valve pushrod (side) cover is more than likely the problem.

You need to clean the engine first, anyways, then inspect the external are carefully, look for loose bolts on the cover, then remove the side cover and check/replace its perimeter gasket. First things first!

I agree most likely the side cover gasket - like roalco says a good cleaning first then check the gasket - sometimes it's just loose bolts holding the cover on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom