Stolen catalytic converters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m at my local dealer and they said catalytic conveyer replacement due to theft is $8000. I literally blurted out, “that’s a f@$cling lie!”
My question is, can a 2019 Tundra run temporarily without cats? Like a temp delete pipe welded in?

I'm not familiar with the Tundra, as Australia doesn't get them, but the following works with other late model Toyotas and GM cars.

With suitable pipes and O2 sensor spacers, it should run fine. The sensor spacers are like mini catalytic convertors, which just clean up the exhaust gas the sensors see, to make the computer think the cats are still present. ~$50 for a pair of them from Amazon, Ebay etc.
Obviously, not having functioning catalytic converters is illegal etc etc.

The link below is the stuff to use, to deter the muppets who steal cats. In the 3mm wire, left loose, reciprocating saws struggle to cut it, as it moves with the blade and it's also difficult with sidecutters etc. A second teir thief, with time will still walk away with them, but they tend to pick only the easy targets. Being stainless it doesn't rust and being flexible, it doesn't vibrate like some of the solid anti theft devices around.

I was told to replace OEM too,
the aftermarkets only last a couple years. Insurance Comprehensive treats it like a broken windshield, no penalty, just your deductible.

Napa universals work great. $8000 is a rip off. Napa is $1200 for all 4.

Either $1400 (including ripped out oxygen sensors and damaged wiring?) or upto $8000 to fix…I am happy I went this route

Post in thread 'Protecting catalytic converter from theft?'
Protecting catalytic converter from theft? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/protecting-catalytic-converter-from-theft.1241891/post-14405167

Worth mentioning:
- my normal routine/ability is to park in safe places, at work or home “indoors”
- just want peace of mind when traveling and getting badly stuck (no cats and oxygen sensor = lots of noise and likely an undrivable vehicle and as such flatbed and urgent repair cost as I sit out my free time to wait for parts and repairs)
- or parking at a store or restaurant

Last edited:
Is there a problem putting on a universal cat from Summit or elsewhere?

no, just wont last as long. the pipe is lower quality as is the cat, its cheaper to buy it but youll be replacing it every few years when it rusts out or starts throwing a cat code

I've run universal cat's for years without problems. But, I am in dry hot Arizona. Actually the only cat that ever failed on me was on an 86 4Runner. And that took many years and miles.

I would run OEM if insurance was paying for sure. Total agreement. If I had to pay the $$$$$$, I would not.

I was just wondering if there was an issue going through emissions in different states or something.

I also have to wonder what the laws are in the states with high theft. I have a few cats from projects that I can't take in for cash. My son in law has a towing company that ends up crushing impounded vehicles and he has to have a dumpster full of cats before anyone will pay.

Your son in law probably has documentation as to where the cats came from. I doubt he would have a problem.

In CT soon a cat will have to be attached to a vehicle in order to be sold, not just dropped on the counter of the recycler’s office.

My catalytic converters were stolen while parked for 40 hours at a barbed wire enclosed parking lot at the Austin airport. Truck sounds disgusting.

I have a $1K insurance deductible and I believe the wait for Catalytic converters from Toyota is lengthy (months?). Plus, getting OEM back on means I need $500 in Cat protection out of my pocket or the time to deal with this again potentially in the future.

Should I go aftermarket? Any Gen 2 Sequoia aftermarket success stories?

Aftermarket magnaflo works well $1000. Quick.

OEM cats are far higher quality. You get what you pay for and there are 4 total. You likely need heat shields, bolts, etc. which are all sold separately, new o2 sensors and whatever else was damaged. $7-9k is pretty common when you add that all up.

Let insurance buy them and do it right. I’ve had aftermarket cats fail in 2 years, they are garbage. Aftermarket cats are illegal in a few states too.

OEM cats are far higher quality. You get what you pay for and there are 4 total. You likely need heat shields, bolts, etc. which are all sold separately, new o2 sensors and whatever else was damaged. $7-9k is pretty common when you add that all up.

Let insurance buy them and do it right. I’ve had aftermarket cats fail in 2 years, they are garbage. Aftermarket cats are illegal in a few states too.
My insurance company, USAA, only quoted aftermarket. Will not pay for OEM.

My insurance company, USAA, only quoted aftermarket. Will not pay for OEM.

Probably based on state laws, we have no options but OEM in colorado. Mufflers shops get in big trouble for installing aftermarket.

Some companies won’t even mail aftermarket cats to CO if you buy them online.

Drive to TX. Get it done. Head back.

Enjoy paying $8000. I live in TX. No regrets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom