40 series general tech and classifieds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Man we need a whole Lash thread for some of this stuff

I don't think I ever saw that trailer - it's fantastically "Lash"!

View attachment 1326636 View attachment 1326635 View attachment 1326634 HUGE thanks to Chris, Rob, and the whole 49 Cruisers team for taking great care of me!

Got my birthday/father's day, anniversary, Christmas presents installed on the GunRunner.
37 X 12.5 X 17 BFG KM2s on 98 series 17 X 9 Procomp wheels with 3.5" backspacing.

They look so great on the GunRunner. They finally fill out the rear fender flares. I used the flares with the much wider opening and 4" depth. The flares made my 35s look tiny. The 1" wider wheel with ~1/4" less backspacing as the old wheels results in a great looking fit.

Almost as great as the tires is the alignment. The steering wheel is straight for the first time in around 14 years and the ride is so smooth. A little too much toe-in caused a bit of a shimmy above 45 mph. All gone now. What a pleasure to drive!!!

I have MetalTech front tube fenders on the shelf, but not enough time to do a good install before the SCC, so the plan is to swap in an old rough OEM pair from Andrew's restoration. They will be trimmed for clearance.

The rear quarters have been trimmed up to the level of the inner fender. Future will be tube fenders in the rear too. For now, I'd like to swap in some 1" - 1.5" longer shackles. The rear has sagged a little with the bigger spare and the storage drawer system. A slightly longer shackle will still have a decent angle and more droop and level things out. Anyone have any +2.5 - 3" shackles for sale?

Bump stops obviously need to be extended to keep the tires out of the fenders front and rear.

I have a little left to get the MetalTech Grill Guard wrapped up. Paint is optional...
Rear tub sliders are 65% done. Few more hours there too.

Looking forward to the Crawl!
Awesome

Do you have a thread on it? Tony aka Terry didn't post much but just love finding the history of the vehicle.... I'll probably start a thread once I finish ordering parts and get the time to start doing a full mechanical refresher on the truck.

Sorry…not sure how I missed this. I bought that 40 when I lived in Arlington, Texas…from a guy called Doniga (last name is all I remember) out in east Texas. This was in 1998. It had aftermarket white wagon wheels with 33x12.50s.

It had Jazz racing seats with harnesses, that I traded with cash to @wngrog for some newly CCOT recovered OEM seats out of Kate…I assume the seats in it today.

It had the goofy (even at the time) silver “marbled” bedliner throughout…seemed tough, just would have preferred straight black.

Doors had stained wooden panels. I didn’t mind them, but got teased a lot. I think Tony’s first move was to replace them with repros.

No one could identify the lift. It drove okay but Tony swapped it out.

The top was an unfinished mess. I ended up selling a less-worse top that came with my current 77 to Tony with the truck.

I had run 33x12.50s on widened steelies with caps…but replaced them with some crap rollers I got from Nolen so I could keep the others for my Pig. Tony put new wheels and tires on immediately.

I bought it for $5500. Sold it to Tony, through @Bodean, for $5700 or $5900. That was probably in 2002 or 2003…can’t remember.

At any rate, CCOT’s chat room was the only one I knew about when I got it…and it was on the way out the door when Mud came online…so no threads. I will, however, be happy to dig-up every photograph I have and add it to your thread. I don’t miss my Pig…but I miss that 40 and my 80 Series…really glad to see it’s getting some love!

Sorry…not sure how I missed this. I bought that 40 when I lived in Arlington, Texas…from a guy called Doniga (last name is all I remember) out in east Texas. This was in 1998. It had aftermarket white wagon wheels with 33x12.50s.

It had Jazz racing seats with harnesses, that I traded with cash to @wngrog for some newly CCOT recovered OEM seats out of Kate…I assume the seats in it today.

It had the goofy (even at the time) silver “marbled” bedliner throughout…seemed tough, just would have preferred straight black.

Doors had stained wooden panels. I didn’t mind them, but got teased a lot. I think Tony’s first move was to replace them with repros.

No one could identify the lift. It drove okay but Tony swapped it out.

The top was an unfinished mess. I ended up selling a less-worse top that came with my current 77 to Tony with the truck.

I had run 33x12.50s on widened steelies with caps…but replaced them with some crap rollers I got from Nolen so I could keep the others for my Pig. Tony put new wheels and tires on immediately.

I bought it for $5500. Sold it to Tony, through @Bodean, for $5700 or $5900. That was probably in 2002 or 2003…can’t remember.

At any rate, CCOT’s chat room was the only one I knew about when I got it…and it was on the way out the door when Mud came online…so no threads. I will, however, be happy to dig-up every photograph I have and add it to your thread. I don’t miss my Pig…but I miss that 40 and my 80 Series…really glad to see it’s getting some love!
She surely is and thanks for the history lesson. He turned a nice dime on me 🤣, I got a rebuilt H42 and split case with 3:2 low going in it. I’m about to pull the 2F for a rebuild and sniper… it’s leaking oil from every possible seal but the top end.

She still runs good despite, I’ve done a full knuckle rebuild, Dobinsons 2” IMS and just found some 3rds to put in with 3.7 gears. I’ll have the axles powdered at that time.

The top is still a hot mess but I have a new fiberglass coming and will get it sorted soon as well.

The _Rob 40s

FD29E3C9-9981-4BC1-ADC5-2DC851FF223A.jpeg

9C7FA52C-645B-4A83-80B0-712D4C4068C9.jpeg

I thought these had cooled off a bit.....guess I was wrong. That's a big number!

I thought these had cooled off a bit.....guess I was wrong. That's a big number!

It’s nice but damn. Not that nice.

If anyone out there is thinking about building a FJ40 around here local I have a ton of like new or new parts

Complete OME 40 suspension. 0 miles $1700

Complete Rough Country 4” lift. Less than 1000 miles $500

5 33x10.50-15 KM3 on OEM wheels with caps. Zero miles (SOLD)

5 33x12.50-15 on steel Modular wheels 1000 miles or less $800

Lots of tires, driveshafts, spare tire swingouts, 4.11’s, inner axles, radiators, fuel tanks, new ubolts …..

Pretty much too much stuff to list.

Last edited:
If anyone out there is thinking about building a FJ40 around here local I have a ton of like new or new parts

Complete OME 40 suspension. 0 miles $1700

Complete Rough Country 4” lift. Less than 1000 miles $500

5 33x10.50-15 KM3 on OEM wheels with caps. Zero miles (SOLD)

5 33x12.50-15 on steel Modular wheels 1000 miles or less $800

Lots of tires, driveshafts, spare tire swingouts, 4.11’s, inner axles, radiators, fuel tanks, new ubolts …..

Pretty much too much stuff to list.
I'm looking for some mirror mounts, for my new project. Its a 73.
And let me know what you have for gas tanks.

1.gif

I’ve got a few good tanks. Does your tank have a cover on it or is it an early 73 with just a tank?
Its a early 73 (Mar), but to be honest I haven't seen it yet ( its at my Dads house in south Louisiana ).

1977 FJ-40 Alternator Question:

For those who do not have a rebuildable OEM alternator for a 77 40, what is the go-to option? Searches indicate DENSO doesn't make them. City Racer? Cruiser Corps? The Mean Green unit that a Jeep shop installed has given-up the ghost.

Plug-and-play preferred, but happy to hear about Toyota upgrades that work. Anything else that should be replaced when a new (rebuilt) unit is installed?

Thanks!

1977 FJ-40 Alternator Question:

For those who do not have a rebuildable OEM alternator for a 77 40, what is the go-to option? Searches indicate DENSO doesn't make them. City Racer? Cruiser Corps? The Mean Green unit that a Jeep shop installed has given-up the ghost.

Plug-and-play preferred, but happy to hear about Toyota upgrades that work. Anything else that should be replaced when a new (rebuilt) unit is installed?

Thanks!

I’ve been running the reman units from Rock Auto with all good results.

Thanks Nolan…Nolin…Nolon…Nolun

Nolen

What do y’all think about this one? I’m thinking of jumping into a 40. I’d love something to daily 10 mile round trip commute. I don’t drive that much, maybe go on a hour drive to the country and maybe 2 hours to the farm.
Hotty Toddy. Good win today!

Edit: by daily I mean occasional commuter. I’ll still have my 100 series

Last edited:

What do y’all think about this one? I’m thinking of jumping into a 40. I’d love something to daily 10 mile round trip commute. I don’t drive that much, maybe go on a hour drive to the country and maybe 2 hours to the farm.
Hotty Toddy. Good win today!

Pretty legit for the money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom