Is there a tech stream easy button for less than $500? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As a technical Luddite, I have been unable to make the virtual box on an old laptop run tech stream.

Is the only other option to purchase a used toughbook tech stream on eBay for around $500?

Or can I purchase a used toughbook without techstream and add techstream to it? Those are only like $250 I think.

Is there another diagnostic unit I can use?

Is there a brand new computer or tablet that will run techstream without needing technical expertise?

I just went thru a similar situation. Had Techstrream running on a VM but the VM was very unreliable do to other factors beyond Techstream.

I got a new Windows laptop at work, they let me buy the older Dell laptop at a great deal. I wiped the drive and installed Windows 11 and then installed the MVCI driver for the Techstream OBD cable. Then installed Techstream and all is good.

You don't need a powerful machine to run Techstream. You could pickup a used laptop running Windows 10 and use it for additional purposes. Sounds like you have Techstream software already so your halfway there.

I just went thru a similar situation. Had Techstrream running on a VM but the VM was very unreliable do to other factors beyond Techstream.

I got a new Windows laptop at work, they let me buy the older Dell laptop at a great deal. I wiped the drive and installed Windows 11 and then installed the MVCI driver for the Techstream OBD cable. Then installed Techstream and all is good.

You don't need a powerful machine to run Techstream. You could pickup a used laptop running Windows 10 and use it for additional purposes. Sounds like you have Techstream software already so your halfway there.
So any windows 10 laptop or tablet might work?

VM is an inherently less stable way to do things. Getting some kind of laptop you don’t care about, even if it’s old, and installing the eBay software can work great. Mine is happily running on windows 7 when I need it

So any windows 7 or 10 machine will run techstream?

I had been using the VM version downloaded from the Techstream in 5 min thread. It worked fine for me, but had some issues to work out to get going.

I recently purchased a Vx Diag Nano /Wireless edition. I was able to use their software and that device on a fresh win10 laptop with no issues that I can remember. Basically up and running in under 20 min. The other nice thing is it’s wireless so your laptop isn’t tethered to the short MiniVCI usb cable. It’s more expensive.. but we’ll under your $250 ask…

I’ll add the caveat that I do IT troubleshooting for a living, so no fanfare to me may mean something different to others…

I do the opposite of IT troubleshooting and seem to have a knack for finding proverbial pits to fall into while using computers. So if I buy a win 7 or 10 computer and it doesn’t readily run techstream I won’t know whether it’s me, the computer, or the software.

Seems goofy to me that there a a thousand code readers but if you want techstream you’re SOL unless you buy a used techstream or are technically proficient.

No easy button it seems.

I do the opposite of IT troubleshooting and seem to have a knack for finding proverbial pits to fall into while using computers. So if I buy a win 7 or 10 computer and it doesn’t readily run techstream I won’t know whether it’s me, the computer, or the software.

Seems goofy to me that there a a thousand code readers but if you want techstream you’re SOL unless you buy a used techstream or are technically proficient.

No easy button it seems.

It’s been a few months since I did the VX Diag install. I was planning to put it on a recently acquired Win10 tablet. When I do that I’ll note anything I did (or decisions made when their were options). I will say, the VX Diag people have simplified it as much as possible compared to the 2 previous home brew installations I did.

The only thing I didn’t like about VX Diag, and this really doesn’t matter probably, is their hacked license is a resetting 2 day license every time you launch, where as the other hacked versions I’ve used had essentially perpetual licenses. On plus side though, the VX Diag version was much newer.

It’s been a few months since I did the VX Diag install. I was planning to put it on a recently acquired Win10 tablet. When I do that I’ll note anything I did (or decisions made when their were options). I will say, the VX Diag people have simplified it as much as possible compared to the 2 previous home brew installations I did.

The only thing I didn’t like about VX Diag, and this really doesn’t matter probably, is their hacked license is a resetting 2 day license every time you launch, where as the other hacked versions I’ve used had essentially perpetual licenses. On plus side though, the VX Diag version was much newer.
Agree on them making it simple. And for the record my corded VX Diag cable is plenty long and can be swapped out, but it’s an older module so maybe that is why.

Personally it’s not a big deal to run the license date reset tool before opening techstream and as infrequently as I use it, by now I actually remember to do so most of the time.

@highfructose there are plenty of people on this board that you can trust with your stuff, and wouldn’t mind setting it up for you if you provided the hardware. Or could be bribed with a six pack or two.

Might be the easiest button you’ll find.

Agree on them making it simple. And for the record my corded VX Diag cable is plenty long and can be swapped out, but it’s an older module so maybe that is why.

Personally it’s not a big deal to run the license date reset tool before opening techstream and as infrequently as I use it, by now I actually remember to do so most of the time.

@highfructose there are plenty of people on this board that you can trust with your stuff, and wouldn’t mind setting it up for you if you provided the hardware. Or could be bribed with a six pack or two.

Might be the easiest button you’ll find.
You are correct. That is probably the easiest solution. Every once in a while there is a Toyota or land cruiser group ride that I see on social media. I will need to remember to try to come along and chat up some other enthusiasts to see if they may be able to assist.

Good point.

I like it. Put me on the list. Got paypal?

I will dm you, thank you radman.

I never said how much my kids charge per hour 😂

Ok, after consulting a fellow IT mud member, I’m thinking $100 per laptop plus shipping.

Laptops will be in good working order, with wiped hard drives and fresh installs of Windows 10, windows updates, and Virtual box with the techstream image.

Processors are typically i5 with 4 or 8 jiggabytes of ram. Chargers will be included, but most batteries will have questionable status. I’ll try to find ones that hold a charge, but worst case you’ll have to Amazon a new battery for ~50-60$.

Edited by Moderator to remove political comments. Politics not allowed in tech

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm totally in.
What cable do I need from laptop to LX?

I'm totally in.
What cable do I need from laptop to LX?
Something like this (Mini VCI J2534)

Mini VCI J2534 Tis Techstream Cable OBD2 Diagnostic Cable for Supporting TIS Techstream Amazon product ASIN B08CCTQDW2
I’m not vouching for this one or anything. I bought mine off eBay about a decade ago.

Sweat shop in full swing.
Lots of waiting for windows to update, but should have 4-6 of them ready to go soon.

All proceeds will go towards 529 accounts, Kitty Critters, and transformers. Not sure on the split yet.

7D0B14FE-E0B2-4647-B58E-0566E86F66BB.jpeg

One big note of caution.. many people have had issues getting those cheaper cables to work displaying both live data and perhaps more importantly, program TPMS. I tried two versions and about five different install methods and couldn’t get it working.

When I went to the VX Diag VCX Nano adapter and their techstream version, no virtual machine.... worked perfectly.

IMO a cleaner, simpler, and more reliable setup would be use those laptops with a clean OS install and spend the $100 on a VCX Nano. The only reason I shy away from suggesting doing this with your primary home laptop is not 100% trusting the included software to be malware-free. Even if they didn’t do it on purpose, it’s a risk. Better to do that with a throwaway machine that you aren’t paying bills or anything on. I’d even consider pulling the Wi-Fi adapter if possible.

I'm have issues with Techstream 12.20.024, getting into all data in a 200 series (2011LC currently).
I use it very often in 100 series, without any issues.

Anyone know what it may be. Is there a newer version of TS, that I must have for the 200 series?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom