DIY: Replacing heater hose pipe T's *important* (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone know how much would a dealer charge to replace on labor? Is this about a 90 min job?

Call your local Dealership. They vary greatly between Lexus and Toyota state to state city to city on hourly rate. I've seen as low as $100/hr (20 yrs ago) to $202/hr currently. I've heard some are $300 hr.

That's a huge range. Just saw the write up, says it's a banana 1 job. Just don't want to screw up. There used to be a guy on the Nextdoor app who's a Toyota service tech and working on side gigs for a good price on Sundays using dealership equipments but he said the dealership no longer allows that.

Takes about 15 mins to replace.

That's a huge range. Just saw the write up, says it's a banana 1 job. Just don't want to screw up. There used to be a guy on the Nextdoor app who's a Toyota service tech and working on side gigs for a good price on Sundays using dealership equipments but he said the dealership no longer allows that.

15 minutes if the hoses are good. And if it's been long enough for the plastic to crumble, the hoses are not going to be good. While not too technically challenging, it was a PITA.

Reactions: KDL
That's a huge range. Just saw the write up, says it's a banana 1 job. Just don't want to screw up.
You won't. The worst part is lying on the engine to do it. Buy the Ts and hoses and you can pre-assemble them. Spring clamp pliers make it much easier.

Reactions: KDL
I'd like to have one of those topside creepers for this. Unfortunately Harbor Freight don't do those. Last time I laid on the engine was like 10 years ago and I didn't enjoy it then to do the starter. Things in my life haven't gotten easier in the last 10 years for some reason. I looked on Craigslist for one but no joy there. Guess people who know what they are keep them.

I'd like to have one of those topside creepers for this. Unfortunately Harbor Freight don't do those. Last time I laid on the engine was like 10 years ago and I didn't enjoy it then to do the starter. Things in my life haven't gotten easier in the last 10 years for some reason. I looked on Craigslist for one but no joy there. Guess people who know what they are keep them.
Creeper is awesome no doubt but take a look on p38 of this thread - I used an Old scrap insulting board - worked well

I cut two 2 x 4's to fit across the engine bay and then laid a 3/4" piece of plywood on top of them and the front radiator support. I put two bolts into two open holes on the radiator top support to prevent the plywood from slipping forward.

IMG_2160.JPG

IMG_2161.JPG

Ordered some 16 12 16 brass tees off scamazon (https://a.co/d/iF52lJh). Gonna see if they fit smoothly. I think oem is only 15mm on the bigger sides but 1mm isn't that much of a difference.

Ordered some 16 12 16 brass tees off scamazon (https://a.co/d/iF52lJh). Gonna see if they fit smoothly. I think oem is only 15mm on the bigger sides but 1mm isn't that much of a difference.
I have seen those used before and they seems to work. Please post your findings.

I will join this club.

My '99 has 309K miles, and when I flexed a tee to get access to the clamps, the end snapped off like a twig (only it took less pressure). So, all you 'heater tee alarmists are RIGHT and CORRECT in your fears.

Of course, the failed tee end was the one closest to the engine block outlet, so it saw the most heat. I dug out the bits, installed new, and was done in 1/2 hour. I left the clamps where you can get to them next time, unlike Toyota!

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

How much fluid do you lose when swapping these out?

I ordered the metal T's and was gonna put them in today but realized I didn't have any coolant here so I held off.

They are at the top of the motor. You won't lose much coolant. I 3D printed some plugs so I could pull the T and quickly plug the lines while I went about sticking the new T in place. I would make sure I had some coolant when I did this job.

Has anyone used these stainless steel T's?

I bought these off ebay. Worked well.
Old ones crumbled as I pulled them out. Don't delay this job

One year update: The Four Seasons 84543 tees recently started seeping. I was not super impressed with the undersized diameter that required compressing the hoses beyond typical. This time I replaced them the upsized diameters of Omega 35-H1953 B07CZSQZ56. It's a bit tighter fit, so I lubed them with silicone grease and they popped right on. The Omega tees are a superior fit, definitely going to be zero leaks with these. If anyone is thinking about replacing their tees with metal, 100% go with the Omega.

While in there I also swapped plugs to Denso 4702 (getting ~2 mpg higher now), cleaned the throttle body, and re-torqued the valve cover gaskets which I could start to smell under full load, the bolts were basically only finger tight.

It is a pleasant surprise how easy it is to work on these Land Cruisers.

The Four Season tees (photo from Sept 2019), note the excessive hose compression:
View attachment 2446393

The Omega tees:
View attachment 2446394
How are the omegas holding up? Any leaks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom