NOW OPEN - 4x4 Labs Group Buy - Closing Feb 28, 2022 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is anyone near Virginia in here? Looking to hopefully save on shipping.

Any reason why the LC bumper kit wouldn’t fit on the LX470? I all for saving a $100 even if I have to break out a dremel!
Call them. They answer (during business hours) and are happy to answer questions.

Just a follow up.

This group buy is open through the end of the month. If you're on the list and haven't placed your order or you're late to the game, and you need a few extra days, reach out Simon to see if they'll extend the offer for you.

Looking forward to getting mine in a couple months.

Just a follow up.

This group buy is open through the end of the month. If you're on the list and haven't placed your order or you're late to the game, and you need a few extra days, reach out Simon to see if they'll extend the offer for you.

Looking forward to getting mine in a couple months.
I actually just got back to civilization today and put my order in! Thanks again for setting this up!

You can try putting in an order and using the code. You should be able to tell if it worked before you out in your payment info and confirm.

Alternatively, give them a call tomorrow and ask. They've always been reasonable when I've talked to them.

Just wondering if anyone else has gotten their stuff yet. I got a call today letting me know they'd gotten to mine sooner than expected and I'll be getting it late next week. Looking forward to it!

I've had mine a long time, haven't opened any boxes yet tho

@davidp14 while they are still finishing up building / shipping the "early 2022" group buy items, you could certainly reach out about starting a mid year group buy. It's not particularly difficult, just confirm with them the timing, then post up here and start collecting interested parties. Once you have 10 (minimum) people who are committed, they'll open the discount code and you're off.

I'll note they completed my bumper a month or two ahead of schedule, but I suspect they're still running many weeks or even months behind on "built" items.

Just to close the loop on my experience, I thought I'd post some pictures of the installed bumper and make some observations.

Ian called to set up an appointment and was open to me getting there at 11 instead of the 9am start he suggested, since I was driving from a couple hours away. The shop isn't well marked from the street with big signs saying 4X4 LABS, AWESOME BUMPERS HERE, or anything like that, but Google Maps got me to the driveway and I figured out the rest. Everyone that I talked with was very friendly and happy to chat about land cruisers, wheeling, and such and I didn't feel like it was "get out of the truck and get out of the way". After I pulled the truck into the shop, they got straight to work and banged out the job in 1.5-2 hours... a job that would have taken me many more hours or even a weekend I'm sure. I expect that taking off my trailer hitch, hatch mounted ladder, and rear recovery points (Jonesy's URB's) the night before sped up the process. It was obvious they'd done this before and they seemed to enjoy what they were doing. They also didn't seem to mind that I wanted to stick around and see the job in action. One of them (Jim? James? I'm terrible with names) gave me a quick tour of the operation when I showed an interest.

I had initially planned to keep the rear crossmember in case I ever wanted to go back to stock, but soon realized that was never going to happen. I did keep the bumperettes and the aluminum step plate that sits on top of the rear bumper and will likely put those up on the classified for free or a nominal cost in case someone else can use them.

At check out, I'd been billed a flat fee for ground shipping. When I asked back in February, they said they would credit that towards the install and we'd settle up when the work was done. As it turned out, I got a refund because the job went smoothly... enough to cover my gas up there and back. This worked well for me coming from the Bay Area and having a day off, but obviously this won't work as well for someone living a few states away or across the country.

A few things to consider:

1) They offered to help me mount the spare and my high lift on the bumper for the drive home, but I didn't have any spare lug nuts with me. Bring those with you if that matters. The bolts for the hi-lift mount are the same as for the spare (and wheels) and can use lug nuts for standardization.
2) They had to cut the "resonator" (muffler looking thing at the tailpipe) off to fit the new bumper. The muffler still works and the truck doesn't sound louder for the most part, but I do now get a slight "whistle" sound from the exhaust if I hold certain throttle positions for too long. It doesn't bug me (yet), but it's something to know before the Sawzall comes out.
3) I have a 60" bar on my Hi-Lift jack. When bolted into the diagonal position behind the rear tire, it intrudes a little into the space you climb through if you're going up the ladder. If it's bolted into the upright position on the left side of the ladder (both attachment points came with my bumper), it makes an extra hand hold (albeit a dirty one in my case), but it extends higher than the roof rack so I will need to figure out a good way to get full sheets of plywood up there now, since they hang over the back of my rack by a foot or so. I can't really mount the jack lower on the ladder side, or the base gets in the way of the latch for the swing arms. These are non-issues with a 48" bar, but that's not tall enough for use on the trail with my set-up. I'm sure I'll work something out after I've given it more thought, and I can easily live with this if it's how it needs to be.
4) I knew this going in, but having to open the swing arms whenever going into the back of my cruiser is a minor annoyance. Fortunately the gas struts make opening it a breeze, and still not difficult to close.
5) All my "always in the truck" gear (emergency sleeping bag, winch bag, jumper cables, etc...) used to live between my spare and the driver side wall (spare was strapped in upright), but now needs a place to live. So, thanks to this bumper, I've got a new project to build a new drawer system for the back. If only I could get full sheets of plywood on my roof rack still. ;)
6) The new bumper LOOKS AWESOME and provides the final piece of armor my cruiser was lacking along behind the rear wheel wells. I haven't done many (any?) modifications to my 80 based on purely on aesthetics, but I really love the way this rear bumper completes the picture I had in mind when I started down this road 10 years ago.

20220511_134912.jpg

20220511_134932.jpg

20220511_134952.jpg

If there's any chance of getting another buy together in the near future I'm in.
I’d be interested if you decide to get one going.

Just FYI, according to Ian at 4x4Labs they will soon be raising prices across the board due to increase in materials/production cost.

they called me Tuesday that it was ready to ship out. 2 days later it was ready for me to pick up. I opted to pick it up at a shipping hub close to home. This is by far the best packaging job I have seen. And I have seen quite a few.

1E5365A0-D6F4-4758-BFFE-8B70CF73F2D8.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom