What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (96 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cleaned up some brush.

20220423_134722.jpg

20220423_135550.jpg

20220423_144237.jpg

In order to pay homage to the EGR, made some keychains from a 6mm block of aluminium.
1 hour job, very easy, a lot of elbow grease to make them shine and smooth.
1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
4.jpeg
5.jpeg

Buy a questionably Isuzu 4BD1T swapped 80 sight unseen across the country, fly out and drive it back. Step 1, quickly fix the broken panhard in the seller’s driveway :cool:

Goodluck with that rig!!!!

Finally found a nice set of UCA46 color code passenger rear flares for the new LX. Hard to find.

Second photo--Toyota still does have the clips to snap these onto the quarter panel.

Third Photo--always remember to grab complimentary food and dog biscuits at the dealer.

27EF7C70-16E3-4290-ABFE-B18279ECF35E.jpeg
152C6673-91AD-4E93-BB6A-B8A8ECED8824.jpeg

View attachment 2994580

6D7E2E04-373B-4987-A069-C479B6850805.jpeg

Goodluck with that rig!!!!

Thanks, besides the engine swap it is a super solid well built 80… had a few ominor trail fixes today but nothing crazy. We’re definitely re wiring this whole thing and re doing the turbo kit when we get home.

Stayed in Colorado City motel, got up at 4am and we did the Toroweap outlook trail. Nothing difficult but absolutely stunning views, and no other people. Absolutely worth the 2hr/60mile dirt drive in and out. On the road home now.

F5023EF1-AD27-41E3-B70C-C055D3A3BE22.jpeg

322E7D65-AD75-4BB8-BD7F-53F0D7B1CB01.jpeg

7DC4A425-CECC-4B10-8CBD-3A132275593C.jpeg

Thanks, besides the engine swap it is a super solid well built 80… had a few ominor trail fixes today but nothing crazy. We’re definitely re wiring this whole thing and re doing the turbo kit when we get home.

Stayed in Colorado City motel, got up at 4am and we did the Toroweap outlook trail. Nothing difficult but absolutely stunning views, and no other people. Absolutely worth the 2hr/60mile dirt drive in and out. On the road home now.

View attachment 2994633

View attachment 2994634

View attachment 2994636
Awesome adventures!

Finally installed my Delta VS panhard bracket, which has been sitting around the garage for probably 3 years. I know the spring interfering with the bolt is well documented, but I guess I didn't plan ahead. Job would have been super simple if: A) I had space to remove a wheel to pry on the spring and B) I had another helper to pry while I aligned the bolt. If I had to do it again (by myself) I would just go ahead and remove the spring. Being on my lonesome and having the garage so packed full of crap I couldn't remove a wheel, I had to get creative to get everything to line up :hillbilly:

I'm amazed by how much of a difference the bracket made. Especially with the soft TJM springs, it almost felt like a swaybar upgrade and also tracks straighter with less steering input. A+++ I wish I had installed it when I bought it.

20220428_152448.jpg

Close in color but it's UCA46. 045 is white upper body color paired with it. There were only two lower caldding colors for LX450's Grey (UCA46) and a darker grey (UCA31). UCA31 was only paired with Black and Dark Green LX450's. The other 3 got UCA46.

• LX450 Lower Body Panel Paint Codes:
  • UCA31 (96-97) Dark Gray Metallic paired with: 202, 6M1
  • UCA46 (96-97) Light Grayish Beige Metallic paired with: 045, 1B1, 4M9

It might actually be uca77

Finally installed my Delta VS panhard bracket, which has been sitting around the garage for probably 3 years. I know the spring interfering with the bolt is well documented, but I guess I didn't plan ahead. Job would have been super simple if: A) I had space to remove a wheel to pry on the spring and B) I had another helper to pry while I aligned the bolt. If I had to do it again (by myself) I would just go ahead and remove the spring. Being on my lonesome and having the garage so packed full of crap I couldn't remove a wheel, I had to get creative to get everything to line up :hillbilly:

I'm amazed by how much of a difference the bracket made. Especially with the soft TJM springs, it almost felt like a swaybar upgrade and also tracks straighter with less steering input. A+++ I wish I had installed it when I bought it.

View attachment 2994784

Man I've seen some sketchy s***. But that's up there.

View attachment 2994784
Is it really that good? I so so many rave reviews on this simple item and feel it must be some sort of placebo? I understand how it would be an improvement, I just have a hard time believing it is THAT good.

View attachment 2994784
What size lift do you have that necessitated this?

Is it really that good? I so so many rave reviews on this simple item and feel it must be some sort of placebo? I understand how it would be an improvement, I just have a hard time believing it is THAT good.
They are a significant improvement. Driving between Flag and PHX on I-17 was a chore. I did not realize how much energy it sapped from me until making the switch. Constant attention was needed going down hill, especially after Sunset Point. Had to slow down considerably because of the dodging rear end. Then, after adding the DELTA radius arms about a year later - wow. Totally different vehicle. I think adding the parts at different times really highlights how small simple changes can make a difference. Combined, they are a game changer. Perhaps the best $ spent on my rig. (The low range gears are a close second.)

Bottom line, the rear panhard and caster should be addressed after lift, everyone should plan on these adjustments when lifting. Many good options out there except the CC bushes, the radius arms kicked their butts. Personally, I liked Deta's solution and glad I jumped on them for mine.

Yes.

All I was expecting really was to remove the rear end sloppiness and sideways wiggle that occurs when you drive over big bumps. I had also read comments on MUD on the anti-sway effect and kind of wrote them off. But there is indeed a very distinct improvement in body roll control. This was the most pronounced improvement to me on my test drive--surefooted in the corners. I even did a roundabout at speeds that would have felt borderline reckless before the bracket, and it felt totally fine. I have TJM progressive springs, which are one of the softest springs on the market, so the effect was probably more pronounced for me than it would be for others.

The effect on steering input was totally unexpected. I didn't even realize until I was behind the wheel for 10 minutes that I wasn't constantly adjusting the wheel like I normally do (I do have adequate caster correction).

@nigelsiam I have about 3-3.5" of lift by the measuring tape. TJM progressive springs, 1" spacer up front, all rear seats removed (2-seater)

Last edited:
They are a significant improvement. Driving between Flag and PHX on I-17 was a chore. I did not realize how much energy it sapped from me until making the switch. Constant attention was needed going down hill, especially after Sunset Point. Had to slow down considerably because of the dodging rear end. Then, after adding the DELTA radius arms about a year later - wow. Totally different vehicle. I think adding the parts at different times really highlights how small simple changes can make a difference. Combined, they are a game changer. Perhaps the best $ spent on my rig. (The low range gears are a close second.)

Bottom line, the rear panhard and caster should be addressed after lift, everyone should plan on these adjustments when lifting. Many good options out there except the CC bushes, the radius arms kicked their butts. Personally, I liked Deta's solution and glad I jumped on them for mine.
I have to say, I had a similar experience when we first got our rig. New shocks & springs, but still squirrely over the county washboard roads. Bought all new rubber suspension bushings (26?), and as I got more and more replaced, the ride got better and better. When finished, handled like a new car over the washboards. Amazing how small things can add up to big improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom