3FE cold start woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

View attachment 2976111Managed to get it off it a deep socket with some light coolant drainage. I think I need to order a new one just because the PO rubber glued the wires with clamp ends to the plug contacts. I took it out and tried to get the gunk out to clean the metal contact area but it’s still pretty sketchy.

View attachment 2976112
This wiring.
View attachment 2976111Managed to get it off it a deep socket with some light coolant drainage. I think I need to order a new one just because the PO rubber glued the wires with clamp ends to the plug contacts. I took it out and tried to get the gunk out to clean the metal contact area but it’s still pretty sketchy.

View attachment 2976112
I put the wires back wrong in this photo, but I did fix it after.

20220409_154630.jpg
20220409_154636.jpg

1649533952124.jpeg

View attachment 2976112

- i carry ALL the needed SENSORS on the 3FE Thermostat HOUSING ,

- They ALL Come With Service Repair Connectors / new plugs

- the BVSV comes with OEM New Vacuum line too .......

F718C757-8F63-4AD7-80D4-4CE837B5D532.jpeg
Replaced the cold start temp switch and the female plug end with the kit. Didn’t rewire the ends yet, will see if this does the trick.

94C6667A-C6B8-4242-AC19-13E2067843E9.jpeg

Cold start this morning seemed improved but did still take 5 cranked to keep the engine firing on its own.

I think the coolant temp sensor might be the next one to hit with a kit.

9B047198-4314-4579-A34C-208608A61489.jpeg
After a day or two of wrestling with accessing the old coolant temp sensor, I finally got it off and put on the new OEM one. It looks like the PO did some dodgy work with non-OEM parts and untidy wire ends.The demon in this engine definitely turned out to be a faulty coolant temp sensor so any future forum treaders be sure to checks yours.

After all that it’s starting first time, no CEL, and a steady 800rpm idle as it should have. Still need to try a sub-40f morning cold start but we probably won’t get one of those soon in the South, here’s to hoping it’s done.

Personally I think these sensors go bad due to the wiring ends going bad and either giving intermittent reading or grounding out. In 30 years of owning these trucks I have had very few of these go bad if the wiring is kept up. Our wiring is getting brittle almost all wiring ends should be replaced with new wire . Marine wire has worked for me.

Personally I think these sensors go bad due to the wiring ends going bad and either giving intermittent reading or grounding out. In 30 years of owning these trucks I have had very few of these go bad if the wiring is kept up. Our wiring is getting brittle almost all wiring ends should be replaced with new wire . Marine wire has worked for me.
I definitely think the wiring was the prime suspect in my issue, that being said the non-oem coolant sensor I pulled out ended up being nearly half the size of the OEM one I installed (needed new ones anyway since the non-oem didn't fit the new female plug ends). I have a feeling it was never reading as well as the OEM one since it probably was several MM off of the original spec in reach into the housing. I could be wrong though, these wiring ends I saw from the PO were about the worst I've ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom