How Stiff is Your Stick ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sounds like a personal question I know, but how stiff is your transfer case shifter ? How stiff is it supposed to be ? Mine is so hard to move, it's almost impossible to use. I have seen the threads on the boot getting loose or torn and the cup being full of crap, but mine is perfect, looks new in there. This isn't in the transfer case, I have the shifter off the transmission and in a vise. It doesn't want to move. Before you tell me to get my wife to do it for me, let me put this in perspective. I'm a big boy, 6'1", weigh over 300 pounds and shop in the big and tall section. I have to put a lot of my prodigious ass in to even moving it. It does move, and is smooth when it does, but it takes 100 X the effort I think it should. I have soaked it in Kroil with no real change. I have driven the roll pin out, but don't see a way to press the pin out with on end being a blind hole.

Thoughts ?

Jason

Sounds like you need an "add-a-shaft-to-me".

Sounds like a personal question I know, but how stiff is your transfer case shifter ? How stiff is it supposed to be ? Mine is so hard to move, it's almost impossible to use. I have seen the threads on the boot getting loose or torn and the cup being full of crap, but mine is perfect, looks new in there. This isn't in the transfer case, I have the shifter off the transmission and in a vise. It doesn't want to move. Before you tell me to get my wife to do it for me, let me put this in perspective. I'm a big boy, 6'1", weigh over 300 pounds and shop in the big and tall section. I have to put a lot of my prodigious ass in to even moving it. It does move, and is smooth when it does, but it takes 100 X the effort I think it should. I have soaked it in Kroil with no real change. I have driven the roll pin out, but don't see a way to press the pin out with on end being a blind hole.

Thoughts ?

Jason
I had the exact same problem with my transfer case shifter, especially when it was in sub 10 degree temp. I went through the whole process of detaching the linkage, greasing, oiling, removing the shifter plate to add more grease. The grease at the shifting rotation dried up and lost it's lubricating function. The only solution was to replace the shifter with another( used one) that had a freely moving shifter stick. That resolved the problem even in sub zero temps.

I got that used shifter from DeathValleyPaul he can ship you one.

Thoughts ?

Jason

Thanks guys. @Feistl , were you able to pull the actual shifter / pin / base apart ? What was the trick ? @jonheld , thanks, hadn't found that one. I'll keep dosing with Kroil and working it. If that doesn't work, guess I'll try to find one from a desert climate.

Jason

Most of these trucks barely had that lever moved in their entire lives, most got stuck. Mine took cheater bar to get it to break free. I sprayed the linkages with pb blaster and it's been smooth since.

Thoughts ?

Jason
you asked...

Three fingers is all mine requires. Easy enough for my wife and daughter to shift.:clap:

Going on my best recollections; before I did my rebuild last summer it was much harder to shift. I'm 99% sure that when I was putting everything back together I gave the whole linkage a good bath of WD40 to clean it up before installation. I'm sure that loosened it up a tad. :meh:

Following some of the good info in previous posts I'm confident you'll get your stick loose, hopefully not floppy though:rimshot:

Mine locked up rock hard. Not even my buddies could move it.

I disassembled mine completely. It was clean inside, and the boot intact. The small smear of lubricating grease Toyota of in it had just dried up and gone tacky.
I cleaned all parts, and reassembled with copious amounts of moly grease. All good now.

Disassembly wasn't complicated, except getting the stuck components apart took a bit of effort to overcome the tacky grease. I spent maybe 2hrs on it

It's more free after a liberal soaking with Kroil and some pipe assisted action, but still isn't great. While I'm working it, and I guess it heats up a little, it gets to something that feels about right, but then cools down and stiffens up again. I think I'll try to take it apart again and see if I can make any progress now.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Jason

I got the opposite problem, mine isn't stiff enough and it always falls out.....

I just started using a strap to keep it locked in low range.

Sooo... I shouldn't overdo it and get it too loose. Got it.

Jason
That's not how it works. There is a detent ball/spring in the transfer case that is supposed to keep you in the gear selected. The lever/linkage should move with no resistance. If you pull the cotter pin and disconnect the linkage to the transfer case, the lever should flop around easily.

That's not how it works. There is a detent ball/spring in the transfer case that is supposed to keep you in the gear selected. The lever/linkage should move with no resistance. If you pull the cotter pin and disconnect the linkage to the transfer case, the lever should flop around easily.

So if my t case pops out of low range into neutral whenever I go from drive to reverse and back to drive should I be looking at adjusting the linkage or do I need to open the t-case and and inspect the ball and detect.

My rig has a part time kit installed, I keep wondering if slee screwed the t case up when they installed the part time kit.

I keep putting this off but I need to get it fixed.

So if my t case pops out of low range into neutral whenever I go from drive to reverse and back to drive should I be looking at adjusting the linkage or do I need to open the t-case and and inspect the ball and detect.

My rig has a part time kit installed, I keep wondering if slee screwed the t case up when they installed the part time kit.

I keep putting this off but I need to get it fixed.
If you can feel the detents when you shift, then the ball and spring are likely OK. With the linkage disconnected, you should be able to manually move the shifter on the transfer case. It should "snap" securely into each position with some effort.
If the detents check good, then something is moving in the transfer case that shouldn't be or something was assembled wrong.

Mine was nearly impossible to use when i first bought the truck. I sprayed the linkage with some PB blaster, which only helped a little. But i have found using low range every month has help it loosen back up(which i recommend).

Thanks again for your input everyone. After a few days of repeated soaking with Kroil and working it, it moved smoothly but was still too stiff. I could move it with two fingers, but I was working my arm to do it. It was broken free enough that I was finally able to drive the pin / arm out of the shifter, Like most of you, whatever served as lube back in the day was dried glue now. Chipped / cleaned all that off of the pin and out of the bores, reassembled with Molykote, and it is free and smooth now. No effort at all to move it (still in the vise, not on the truck yet). I still have to do the transfer case gears. I had already ordered the LCP extension, but now that will just serve to improve position, no extra leverage needed.

Thanks !

Jason

I second the notion that we should put our rigs in lo range and (if present) actuate the lockers monthly. That has made things work better and more easily in my truck, too.
On a related note, I test drove a 2015 LX570 at Carmax a couple of months ago. I put it in Lo range on the test drive (of course) and played around with Crawl Control, etc. The truck would then not come back out of Lo despite my best efforts. I took it back to Carmax, a short distance away, and gave them the keys. So far, they still have the truck listed as unavailable with no expected return date. So, I guess the tech's there couldn't get it sorted out. I seriously wanted to just offer them $25K for the rig as it sits, but I haven't done so yet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom