Joe’s '77 FJ40 Dream Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks, FJsnoozer.
- I'm committed to a 2-stage paint, and am unsure if the needed clear coat should be gloss (which I have) or satin. Or perhaps even a combination of the two.
- I too will be using an epoxy primer (a 2k primer from Eastwood) that I'll be applying over Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator (which I've already applied to the tub). The base paint I'll be using is from Sherwin-Williams automotive, and I have a gallon of clear coat from them, which is glossy. Hence my rub.

The sheen on your beige-painted '40 really looks Great. An Outstanding Job you had done indeed !

Thanks,
Skydog

Thank you, Goat.

Next on the list is:
-New Radiator
-Spring pack leaf removal

-Shim and rear alignment
-Build a tailgate solution
-Speaker solution (looking at MTX wakeboard speakers)
-Maybe 3.70 gears
-Maybe a Catalytic converter

Add:
Install new rear step and Trailer hitch

Summer is well on its way and I am about to pull the top off.

I've got no new pictures, but I do have a shiny new radiator and proper shackle and drive angles finally! I removed the second to last leaf in the spring pack on the rough country rear lift and it rides soooo much better. My angles were vertical before and now they are text book perfect.

Ashley and I also Built a hard top cart per the instructions found here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/hard-top-storage-dolly.572471/
Ive decided to rent a Unit in our building to store a top and Move all of my tools into. It will be my little 6x10 workshop downstairs in my High-rise.

Today I head back to New Braunfels to restore a set of Barn doors that I had considered throwing away. More to come.

If there is enough time this weekend, I may even build some rear speaker boxes. Wifey is going out of town so its a matter of how many projects I can get done in 3 days!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1406266286.532833.jpg

After a little wire wheeling and one harbor freight grinder disintegrating
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1406266397.273894.jpg

Getting closer
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1406266438.311099.jpg

I hope i can finish these saturday. Perhaps thats a lofty goal.

Nice looking rig and great build thread! Would you happen to have a picture of how you wired the EL wire into the back of the dash cluster? I'm assuming the EL wire turns on when you turn the lights on?
Sorry for the late response. You just resin pot it in and hook it up to 12 power that kicks on with the dash lights. There is a small blue capacitor that plugs into this and needs 12v. The little box has a slight hum.

53B86AB7-B72A-469C-871B-7CB3926E8FCC.jpeg

Time to bring this thread back a bit. I changed the title because I never really liked it after all that occurred during the build.

Since 2014, i started Mountain biking…A LOT. and the truck has pretty much been garaged as I spend all free time training and racing with my wife.

I did swap a 3.70 pumpkin in, but all of the sitting has done a number on the carb. My trollhole carb needs revival, but I’ve opted to swap to EFI instead. Stay tuned for a Sniper EFI install.

Upon removal of the carb and studs, the project hit a small road block. Some point in the last 45 years, someone Helicoiled the intake. I had to clearance my deadline cruisers adapter (which is sweet BTW)

Redline cruisers has been fantastic in this entire process. Their brackets have been a life saver in allowing me to finish this project easily in 1 weekend in a public parking garage!

I made plenty of friends and a few people now want to install snipers in their Cobras and classic Toyotas.

72AA5F21-D4AF-4F2C-9B8C-18AF09104397.jpeg

EFA5A928-2F36-4433-BDDD-4C70C517AC3F.jpeg

A weekend in this position reminded me what working on cars does to your body in strange ways. A little different than mountain biking.

Cuts on arm are from previous weekends MTB race. I tagged a rock face of a cliff pretty hard.

A644773F-3CF9-46E6-A790-BB80CD65CBEF.jpeg

1BFC7E7B-750C-4D79-BEAF-7ED4BFBACBF0.jpeg

She is all routed up. Since this picture I have reworked the fuel lines which were unacceptably routed.

Also, I couldn’t stand the current state of the intake. A little TLC mid project slowed down progress but was well worth an hour spent with Scotch brute pads.

5FE28469-DF97-4C88-A93E-93BE66A7BDDB.jpeg
CFCCC8C4-C822-473B-8C11-E6F563F9C8E7.jpeg
AC5B410F-6271-4D65-9E54-389540768A74.jpeg
18448B9F-729C-4EE8-8661-2285BE59264F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom