Transmission Longevity? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wendy2000LC

Takes a lickin’ and keeps on tickin’…
Threads
Website
www.badgirlscouture.com
I have 2000 LC. I’m the original owner. 280,000 miles same transmission. No sign of any problems.
What I’m wondering ….. Is this typical for the tranny to last this long? How long can it last?
Just curious….cause my dad mentioned I may be looking at a replacement soon….but I’m hoping not! From what he told me it’s very expensive.
I guess I’m just trying to gear up for the inevitable?

Thanks for any thoughts or input….

They can and do last much longer with very little maintenance. It is actually not common at all to have tranny problems in these vehicles. Not even close to American made disposable tranny problems. All of mine in signature have never had tranny issues.

I have 2000 LC. I’m the original owner. 280,000 miles same transmission. No sign of any problems.
What I’m wondering ….. Is this typical for the tranny to last this long? How long can it last?
Just curious….cause my dad mentioned I may be looking at a replacement soon….but I’m hoping not! From what he told me it’s very expensive.
I guess I’m just trying to gear up for the inevitable?

Thanks for any thoughts or input….
I have a 1999 with about 240k and it’s never had any problems at all! Just make sure to maintain it as stated in the Owner’s Manual. It still has a long way to go.

They can and do last much longer with very little maintenance. It is actually not common at all to have tranny problems in these vehicles. Not even close to American made disposable tranny problems. All of mine in signature have never had tranny issues.
Thank you! Put my mind at ease for sure! Glad to hear you haven’t had any issues! You

I have a 1999 with about 240k and it’s never had any problems at all! Just make sure to maintain it as stated in the Owner’s Manual. It still has a long way to go.

Thanks Beach Hippie! Good to hear! I sure hope it has a long way to go!

It's a little dated, and hasn't been updated in a LONG time, but here's some actual data.

It's a little dated, and hasn't been updated in a LONG time, but here's some actual data.

WOW! To say that I’m impressed by your research and data is an understatement!
Based on your findings I’m feelin’ pretty darn good…thank you for pointing me to your thread…good stuff!

WOW! To say that I’m impressed by your research and data is an understatement!
Based on your findings I’m feelin’ pretty darn good…thank you for pointing me to your thread…good stuff!
I ran my 2000 up to 285k before selling it 2 years ago, took it all over BFE by myself, and never sweated it. No doubt, it IS expensive if it should fail, but the odds are in your favor. Better then the 3 trannys I put in my Chrysler Town and Country minivan back in the day...

I ran my 2000 up to 285k before selling it 2 years ago, took it all over BFE by myself, and never sweated it. No doubt, it IS expensive if it should fail, but the odds are in your favor. Better then the 3 trannys I put in my Chrysler Town and Country minivan back in the day...
Wow…3 trannys? Holy smokes! So you sold the 2000 LC….which one do you have now?

I’m really hoping this one lasts me a while longer. A longgggg while. 😂 Cause what do you buy next after owning the best truck on earth?!
I don’t like buying used, they don’t make them for US anymore, and even if I could get a 2021, anyone would have a hard time trying to pry open my wallet for $100K. 🤣🤣🤣

Transmission’s #1 enemy: HEAT.
The best way to mitigate heat is the lubricant’s maintenance (drain and fill every 90k miles on regular use and it’s level).
As long as you ensure to follow preventative atf cycle change, that thing is going to last a very very long time.
If you are towing, I think we all here can agree to get an OBD2 real-time display to monitor your AT pan temperatures so you know when to slow down or take it easy on the gas pedal esp when you’re going uphill while towing.

The key to transmission lasting, is flushing properly and regularly.

How long can they last. The miles mile Toyota, had no transmission issues.

I am big, on full 12qt flushes. In the 98-02, I use Mobil 1 MV full synthetic ATF exclusively. I tried other ATF years ago, but keep coming back to the smooth shifting and cool operating temps of M1 MV f/syn ATF.

I've flushed some with as much as 350K miles on the odometer, as a first flush. They love it. Toyota uses the same, when they've a transmission running to hot, as a fix. It's top shelf ATF. If transmission has bad clutch plates, flushing may reveal (failure). But never has it happened to me, and I've done a lot of flushes on 100 series of all years and miles. My feeling is, if it's going to fails after/from flushing. I'd rather find out now, not 500 miles off into the wilderness.

We did have some bad transmission. Seemed mostly around the 2000 years give or take. But they tended to go bad first 50K miles for most accounts I read about (I've not seen one).

I have a 2003 T4R V8 currently at 302k my friend was the original owner and it is shifting nicely, I also have a 1999 T4R currently at 365k with the original trans. I would put away some cash on the side in case it ever happens you can still buy them from Mr. Toyoda last time I checked.

Thanks everyone for the input. I just scheduled appointment to have the transmission fluid changed. And my plan is to keep it up on schedule. Sad to say I’ve only changed it once at approx 200,000 miles. Yikes. I just had no idea. 😲

Thanks everyone for the input. I just scheduled appointment to have the transmission fluid changed. And my plan is to keep it up on schedule. Sad to say I’ve only changed it once at approx 200,000 miles. Yikes. I just had no idea. 😲
^^^^

Yes, that was NOT good.

Depending on how degraded the fluid was at that point.....you may or may not have robbed the transmission of some its life.

The A343F transmission is an exceptionally durable unit (with reasonable maintenance and use).

Since you are the original owner and we know a little bit about your vehicle already and how you use it.....you might be OK, but that's a LONG time to run the same fluid.

Having said that....I have 246K miles on my '99 LX470 (original trans) and 334K on my '97 Land Cruiser (original trans) both run perfectly and both are the same transmission as yours.

However I do a (drain and fill) of the fluid at least every 30K miles. I don't do complete fluid exchanges (though that would be better). But draining the pan and adding back the 6-7 qts that comes out...seems to be adequate.

None of us can say for certain that your transmission will last you another 100K miles, but it would not be unusual.

HEAT and fluid degradation are the enemies of transmission life. Try to avoid both.

atf-comparison.jpg

Trans-Temp-Chart.jpg

^^^^

Yes, that was NOT good.

Depending on how degraded the fluid was at that point.....you may or may not have robbed the transmission of some its life.

The A343F transmission is an exceptionally durable unit (with reasonable maintenance and use).

Since you are the original owner and we know a little bit about your vehicle already and how you use it.....you might be OK, but that's a LONG time to run the same fluid.

Having said that....I have 246K miles on my '99 LX470 (original trans) and 334K on my '97 Land Cruiser (original trans) both run perfectly and both are the same transmission as yours.

However I do a (drain and fill) of the fluid at least every 30K miles. I don't do complete fluid exchanges (though that would be better). But draining the pan and adding back the 6-7 qts that comes out...seems to be adequate.

None of us can say for certain that your transmission will last you another 100K miles, but it would not be unusual.

HEAT and fluid degradation are the enemies of transmission life. Try to avoid both.

View attachment 2992345
View attachment 2992346
This is an incredibly outdated chart.

This is an incredibly outdated chart.

Provide a chart then.....that you consider more appropriate.

Bear in mind we are talking about transmissions that are 20 yrs. old in some cases.

And fluid types the same.

Fluids have been improved over the years (and many are backwards compatible).

The transmissions in our 100 series (and going back to the 80 series) are robust and were manufactured using good quality components ( a huge plus).

But it remains, heat (and lack of regular fluid changes) will result in decreased transmission life (the point being made in the chart), whether you agree with the mileage estimates or not.

^^^^

Yes, that was NOT good.

View attachment 2992345
View attachment 2992346
Hi Flint…👋🏻…Ya…I’m not hard on it at all. It’s just been my daily driver for 22 years. But no off roading and I’m easy on the ol’ gal. 😂

I only wish I had the wisdom in my 30’s when I first got her that I have now. I’m trying to make up for my reckless days now. Lol. Im pretty sure she feels for me and is going easy on me. *crossing fingers*

Thanks so much for chiming in. You know I always appreciate the help!

2 things to watch out: regular fluid change and filter clean up and the problem with the radiator. The water rad in the LC100 also includes the trans cooler, obviously different circuits but if due to rust or crack the two mix then water gets into the trans fluid which isn’t good.

I will be replacing my radiator in the new year as a preventative measure.

Last edited:
I strongly believe that the "Don't change old transmission oil, it will fail!!!!" is a complete myth. It might be true for transmissions that are failing anyway, but not in the general case.
If the alleged grounded clutch material suspended in the old oil was everything keeping a transmission working, it wouldn't have worked in the first place.
Anyway, I did a first change at 280k miles on my 2005 and it didn't seem to miss a beat 15k later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom