Valve stem spring keepers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Day 2 of 2hr project. On first valve spring...still!

77 FJ40
90k miles on original 2F.
Burning oil on longer trips so I decided to replace the valve stem seals.

Easy job. Takes a few minutes to change the seal and a WHOLE day...maybe exaggerated...to get the second keeper back on.

It seems so simple but the very first valve is laughing at me. I can get the first keeper on no problem and have it compressed to where it shouldn't be an issue to get the second one on.

I gave the spring compressor tool one more crank and it exploded and I stopped for the night.

Looking for sympathy and tips. I just have cave man tools and no fabrication skills to make some one off miracle tool.

Usually I pick up the BFH at this point but it isn't applicable.

Thanks
Mark

Subscribed.

Something like this? Do you have one of these, or are you 7 feet tall?
2F28885B-F31F-46A0-96D8-BBC82AE700CA.jpeg
E8E8FEDC-197E-4B22-BB70-CABBF53DCFCD.jpeg

What kind of spring compressor have you been using? Photo?

Are you using the clothes line method, or compressed air? If you’re using the HF spring compressor pictured, I feel your pain. I even modified this one and it still was a pain in the ass to use. One tip I’ll give you, is when your doing one next to a valve cover stud do yourself a favor and jam 2 nuts together and remove that stud until your done. The more room you have to work with the better.

With the OTC brand spring compressor I bought, I was not able to compress the spring enough and getting the keepers out was a fight. I made a compressor out of electrical channel strut that worked great compressing the spring down further. Pics in “THIS” thread.

I also found that a 1/4” x 6” brass nipple worked great to free up the keepers. Before compressing the spring, the nipple fits over the end of the valve stem and with a tap of a hammer, the keeper will push down a bit and jump right back into position but are no longer stuck. And a magnet works good for plucking out the loose keepers

With the OTC brand spring compressor I bought, I was not able to compress the spring enough and getting the keepers out was a fight. I made a compressor out of electrical channel strut that worked great compressing the spring down further. Pics in “THIS” thread.

I also found that a 1/4” x 6” brass nipple worked great to free up the keepers. Before compressing the spring, the nipple fits over the end of the valve stem and with a tap of a hammer, the keeper will push down a bit and jump right back into position but are no longer stuck. And a magnet works good for plucking out the loose keepers

Genius!

So here is what I have. Tried again tonight. I simply can't compress the spring enough to get the second keeper on. I have enough room for the first one but not enough for the second.

16510188366502421204312967408326.jpg

I made a couple of “adjustments” to my HF compressor that helped get more compression. I bent these tabs perpendicular so I could grab onto the lowest coil. Next, to keep the damn thing from slipping off a coil I used a small chainsaw sharpening file and created a groove for the jaw to latch on to the coil. Lastly, squeeze the legs with channel locks and crank on the handle with work gloves on. That handle is not finger friendly.
3B74C5A3-BDE5-4313-B6E2-F1891B2D7149.jpeg
B2010E10-114A-4455-8841-951CCE128498.jpeg

I made a couple of “adjustments” to my HF compressor that helped get more compression. I bent these tabs perpendicular so I could grab onto the lowest coil. Next, to keep the damn thing from slipping off a coil I used a small chainsaw sharpening file and created a groove for the jaw to latch on to the coil. Lastly, squeeze the legs with channel locks and crank on the handle with work gloves on. That handle is not finger friendly.View attachment 2993028View attachment 2993029
I did the something similar, but used vise grips to keep the tool from popping off the spring. I also had to use a small magnet tipped screwdriver to get the second keeper to drop into place.
13ED9BFC-5400-46F3-AD60-D0FC82DA929A.jpeg

I'm starting to think home brew is the only way.
Yup! I abandoned that tool. With my tool, you can compress the spring further without those tool legs in the way. You can push the retainer down well clear of the valve stem grooves, and with thumb and forefinger hold the keepers to the valve stem below the grooves. As you release the spring, the keepers slide up and into the grooves and with further release, the retainer comes up and surrounds them. It’s simpler, way faster, and you have better feel as the parts go into their place.

My design was spur of the moment with stock on hand. Having another look at it I see how I should have done it with just two pieces of strut, one piece across the pedestal studs and one to lever off it. I could whip this tool out in 10 minutes.

Steamer Tool.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom