Saying goodbye (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, it’s that time. I’ve put my 62 up for sale. It’s in the classifieds here as well as local Craigslist. Figured I’d give my fellow ‘Mudders and locals a shot before BaT. You guys have been great. Literally, every single issue I thought I had, turned out to be a manageable maintenance item once I posted and got feedback. Don’t know if that says more about Toyota’s quality or the quality of this hive mind. I’ve never named my truck, but if I did, I’d call it “No Drama.”

So, why? This winter I had use of a Subaru for the first time, and although I have hated to admit it, a modern vehicle experience is closer to my actual needs. I was smitten. The Subie, with the right tires and a light lift, can outperform my 62 off-road in all but the most technical terrain, which I spend about .05% of my time on. Not to mention gas mileage, road trip comfort, handling, cabin noise…

I’ve loved my Land Cruiser and all its charm, back story, and old-school motoring engagement, but I just treated myself to a new Outback for my adventures, so it’s time to move on.

Yeah. I’ll probably regret it a little.

1C884692-B864-47D9-9EC5-5B42F52DEB08.jpeg

Subarus are “better” than 30 year old land cruisers in almost every way. I had a Forester.
Drive a Subaru for a few weeks then get back in the cruiser and the only thought that comes to mind is : man this thing drives like crap.

Subarus are “better” than 30 year old land cruisers in almost every way. I had a Forester.
Drive a Subaru for a few weeks then get back in the cruiser and the only thought that comes to mind is : man this thing drives like crap.
Yep, sounds about right. The Subie doesn’t attract magnificently bearded, microbrew IPA swilling, sustainable flannel wearing Ballard Lumbersexuals quite like a vintage Land Cruiser, but hey, that gets old fast.

We had a Subaru when I was younger, it was blowing a head gasket, and loved to run on 3 cylinders. Was the worst vehicle, but it did get good traction off-road. But overall it was meh…….. I don’t why your comparing a 33 year old SUV to a modern car, a Cruiser isn’t a great daily, they are slow, rough, loud, bare, but that is what makes them cool/charming to me. Probably a better suited weekend car…..GLWS enjoy the good memories you will make with your Subaru!

also own an FJ62 and a subaru; and yes the subaru is the only one i'd use for long distance driving and such; the 62 is just ****ing fun to drive....

We had a Subaru when I was younger, it was blowing a head gasket, and loved to run on 3 cylinders. Was the worst vehicle, but it did get good traction off-road. But overall it was meh…….. I don’t why your comparing a 33 year old SUV to a modern car, a Cruiser isn’t a great daily, they are slow, rough, loud, bare, but that is what makes them cool/charming to me. Probably a better suited weekend car…..GLWS enjoy the good memories you will make with your Subaru!
So not sure Supper77 asked us for us for opinions or is even comparing the two vehicles. He's making a decision based on his needs. Any of us would hate to get rid of our cruiser, but things happen and we all have to make decisions like this from time to time. Especially if you've been on this planet long enough like myself :).

If I could only have one vehicle it wouldn't be my 60... but I have room for more. Each serves its purpose.

I would recommend a rav4 over a Subaru. Subarus have a lot of problems.
True. My son has a 2003 outback. It was good until 110k and now we are having constant problems. I have redone the valve cover now 3 times in 4 years. Lots of oil leaks. etc. Has 170k on it now which also is part of the problem.

As far as ride quality in my FJ62 I have considered the 80 axles and coil overs to improve this for long distance driving... but its pricey$$. I love my 62 and hopefully will never sell it in my lifetime.

Farewell. Was nice to have you around. 👊🏻

Why not have both?
Subarus killing head gaskets I think is more a late 90's early 2000 thing right.
Just don't add a " co- exist" sticker to your subaru and move to Portland.

I have a 100 series for fast driving, comfort, family stuff etc... Man those are nice to drive.

Good luck with the sale! I don't get it... selling one of these... but godspeed!

Yep, sounds about right. The Subie doesn’t attract magnificently bearded, microbrew IPA swilling, sustainable flannel wearing Ballard Lumbersexuals quite like a vintage Land Cruiser, but hey, that gets old fast.

@Super77 ...

...have retained - and just refreshed - my 1988 FJ62. Torfab just replace rusting C-channels and installed a fresh OME/Bilstein suspension and the truck feels/run great. With 247K miles I did POR-15 on the frame rails, removed a failing headliner and added kilmat to deaden the road noise. I enjoy the simplicity and tractor-qualities of the FJ62 - as well as the ease of working on it.... The world may have changed significantly in the last thirty years - but the FJ62 is a constant... And heck, who needs to drive faster than 65mph?

Agree with your tradeoff - Subarus are a great car for the tradeoffs of the PNW. ... I like the spec on forester wilderness edition, and would line up for a solterra (keeping the FJ62) when there is a 300mile range option.

Last edited:
My 293k mile Subaru Forester from 2008 has been the best car I've ever owned. I absolutely love it. If I could only have one car, it would be my Forester. But I can have several cars and I'm glad that my 60 is one of the two I have.
20220329_110744.jpg
20210722_130052.jpg

I will agree that 60 series ride/drive like crap. When I drive my moms car I’m absolutely amazed by it’s comfort and power. But personally for long drives I use my Toyota pickup, it’s very comfortable in my opinion, driving it for a couple hours is no big deal!

ha, that sentence describes most of the Subrau drivers in my area, you just forgot the yoga mat toting and and making of soap in your bathtub but refuse to use it on oneself :)

Happy trails @Super77 ! Hopefully we see you again on the boards... maybe in a more modern 80 or 100? :D

Why not have both?
Subarus killing head gaskets I think is more a late 90's early 2000 thing right.
Just don't add a " co- exist" sticker to your subaru and move to Portland.

I have a 100 series for fast driving, comfort, family stuff etc... Man those are nice to drive.

Good luck with the sale! I don't get it... selling one of these... but godspeed!
They still blow head gaskets unfortunately. Usually it's the naturally aspirated ones though. Guy at work I think has had 3 sets of head gaskets done over the years on his Subaru. If you keep the fluids in them they will Usually run a long time from what I've seen. The cvt transmissions are pretty fragile as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom