Engine Block Heater (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I agree. The issue isn’t that the block heater manufacturer went out of business. It is just that the supplier made a bunch of catridge heaters with defective wiring that caused fires. So Toyota pulled them and never updated with a new model.

I had a Toyota cartridge heater on my LX570 and never had a problem. When i bought my LC they were no longer available so I bought a Kat brand heater off Amazon. They also make good battery heaters.

Do you live in Fairbanks? Moving there?
Ha! I kind of wish. Sadly, I live in Houston.

But I’m contemplating a trip up to Fairbanks to hopefully see the Aurora for my fiftieth this coming Feb.
I’m having some work done at Slee this summer and asked if they could install a block heater. But they didn’t have any experience doing this, so I called the dealer in Anchorage.

Since I’m not yet sure where I will be staying, I can’t say if I will have a heated garage or not.

I appreciate your input saying that I do need the block heater.
It was your comments on that other thread by Tom Owens (who was also planing a trip from the Houston area to AK during the winter) and the list of required stuff you gave that got me thinking about it.

I had a Toyota cartridge heater on my LX570 and never had a problem. When i bought my LC they were no longer available so I bought a Kat brand heater off Amazon. They also make good battery heaters.
stonepa,
Thank you too for the input.

Does it trouble you that Toyota doesn’t recommend Kat as a replacement?

And how hard was it to install? I guess it lowers the risk of fires if I only use it for a month.
I know there is another thread about the installation which I will go read again, but if memory serves, it’s not too detailed in the instructions.
Perhaps the instructions that come with the Kat heater are detailed?

Ha! I kind of wish. Sadly, I live in Houston.

But I’m contemplating a trip up to Fairbanks to hopefully see the Aurora for my fiftieth this coming Feb.
I’m having some work done at Slee this summer and asked if they could install a block heater. But they didn’t have any experience doing this, so I called the dealer in Anchorage.

Since I’m not yet sure where I will be staying, I can’t say if I will have a heated garage or not.

I appreciate your input saying that I do need the block heater.
It was your comments on that other thread by Tom Owens (who was also planing a trip from the Houston area to AK during the winter) and the list of required stuff you gave that got me thinking about it.
You can fly directly into Fairbanks. Unless that is you really want to drive it. I always feel like mid November to mid December is better for Aurora. It’s darker and not as cold.

PM me if you want to talk details

stonepa,
Thank you too for the input.

Does it trouble you that Toyota doesn’t recommend Kat as a replacement?

And how hard was it to install? I guess it lowers the risk of fires if I only use it for a month.
I know there is another thread about the installation which I will go read again, but if memory serves, it’s not too detailed in the instructions.
Perhaps the instructions that come with the Kat heater are detailed?
I have one, the install wasn't too bad, but it's not easy locating the hole in the back of the block where it gets installed. It's very cramped under there, I wouldn't want to install it without having it up on a lift. There worst part is routing the wire away from the exhaust.

And the wire is too short, it won't reach the front bumper.

I have one, the install wasn't too bad, but it's not easy locating the hole in the back of the block where it gets installed. It's very cramped under there, I wouldn't want to install it without having it up on a lift. There worst part is routing the wire away from the exhaust.

And the wire is too short, it won't reach the front bumper.
So what did you do?
Did you splice on an extension? Or use an extension cord?

So what did you do?
Did you splice on an extension? Or use an extension cord?
I put one of these in my front bumper.

NOCO GCP1 15 Amp AC Port Plug, 125 Volt Power Inlet Socket, and Waterproof Electrical Outlet Receptacle Box with 16-Inch Integrated Outdoor Extension Cord Amazon product ASIN B009ANV81S

What are your thoughts on using a battery heater like this:

in conjunction with an oil pan heater like this:
Amazon product ASIN B08B817WF9

Since I will only be visiting Fairbanks for a short while (a week or two in Feb), I like these two since I could remove them easily when done (or each day when driving.)
But I worry they are not sufficient to adequately protect my engine and battery.

Fairbanks in Feb a battery warmer is a must. For the pan heater they are a little debated. I have a block heater on my 200 and on my kids cars Subaru has a block and MB e320 has a pan.

Seems reasonable to me considering what you are doing.

To be clear…. I meant to use that pan heater and battery heater instead of a block heater.

I’m a little leery of getting a block heater installed into the engine since none are sanctioned by Toyota. So I like the temporariness of these other solutions.

And I guess one leaves that battery heater running all night, huh? (Whereas the other heaters are only turned on a bit before starting the engine.)

To be clear…. I meant to use that pan heater and battery heater instead of a block heater.

I’m a little leery of getting a block heater installed into the engine since none are sanctioned by Toyota. So I like the temporariness of these other solutions.

And I guess one leaves that battery heater running all night, huh? (Whereas the other heaters are only turned on a bit before starting the engine.)
Having lived in Fairbanks for a while back when people left their diesels running all winter to keep them running, i have been through this. Key thing to remember is that unleaded fuel does not vaporize below -40F and will not burn. You have to heat the engine when temps are below that temp to even start the car, no matter how strong the battery. Remember also, it is all about air temps. Your engine doesn’t care about wind chill so don’t count that.

On my FJ60 i had a battery heater, a magnetic oil pan heater, and a freeze plug block heater. All plugged into an outside power strip in the engine bay. That setup chugged some serious electricity but did the job.

My 100 just has the old style Toyota heater but the heater doesn’t get much use where my truck lives in coastal Alaska.

I had the standard Toyota cartridge heater on my 2014 LX570. When I bought my LC 200 in 2015 toyota had already recalled all of them due to substandard power cables overheating and causing fires. Now my 200 lives in a much warmer Seattle so no heater necessary.

However, KAT makes a very good cartridge heater for the 5.7. I also use Kat’s battery wrap heater in the 200. Remember, the engine needs to be above -40F to start.

Beyond that, the 5.7 will start with zero issues at any temperature that fuel will vaporize. It may make some awful noises until the oil warms but they don’t seem to indicate any real damage. But i would use the heaters anyway.

Last edited:

I think you will be ok unless it gets “really cold” as in much below -30F. I have the oil pan heater on my 2004 e320 4matic that I’ve had since new and it has been in AK for 14 years with no issues. I don’t think it has seen -40F but has seen temps in the -30’sF.

In February it will likely be lows in the -teens F and highs in the single digits F. But in reality anything could happen.

So I just looked it up…. In the last 4 years, there have been 14 days/nights where the temp dropped to -35 or below in Fairbanks in February.
So it’s unusual, but not totally unexpected either. But it’s rare enough that I could gamble and just plan on not going out on those nights when it drops that low.

So I thank you guys for the input! I feel better about going this route now.

And Stonepa,
Thank you for the info about fuel not vaporizing at -40 or below. I had no idea and it’s certainly good to know this.

I’m going on an Aurora hunting trip and the cabin we rented for Feb is a bit outside of Fairbanks. So if it gets that cold on a good Aurora night, I’ll have to hope that it can be seen from my cabin!

So I just looked it up…. In the last 4 years, there have been 14 days/nights where the temp dropped to -35 or below in Fairbanks in February.
So it’s unusual, but not totally unexpected either. But it’s rare enough that I could gamble and just plan on not going out on those nights when it drops that low.

So I thank you guys for the input! I feel better about going this route now.

And Stonepa,
Thank you for the info about fuel not vaporizing at -40 or below. I had no idea and it’s certainly good to know this.

I’m going on an Aurora hunting trip and the cabin we rented for Feb is a bit outside of Fairbanks. So if it gets that cold on a good Aurora night, I’ll have to hope that it can be seen from my cabin!
Another thing. Fairbanks is essentially in a hole and most of the time is much colder (10-15 degrees) then the surrounding are.

KAT is the industry standard. My guess is that Toyota doesn't like the piece price KAT would give them.

The heater is a cartridge style and just sits in a machined fitting beside the engine. Zero chance of damaging anything, unlike the old style immersion heaters that required a freeze plug to the removed from the engine block and replaced with the heater.

A 400 watt cartridge heater is much more efficient and is more effective than the old 800-1000 w immersion block heaters. Works just fine.

I wouldn't leave it running all night. I'd use an outdoor timer that is good for 400w of draw. I would set it for 1 hour before I need to start the car. Maybe 2 hours if it is really cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom