Painting an 85 Copper 60 (with headliner install video) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks fantastic. So pro. That's got to be satisfying standing back and looking at that work. That's gonna be one nice truck.
Thank you. I was worn out after cleaning up, but did enjoy a few beers while just checking out the days work

Thank you. I was worn out after cleaning up, but did enjoy a few beers while just checking out the days work
I love that in the first set of photos we can see your reflection - sitting in a camp chair, drinkin a beer, admiring your work. Nice!

Jimmy, what do you clean the gun out with after painting?

Jimmy, what do you clean the gun out with after painting?
Hey Dave, I use lacquer thinner and a tool kit with all kinds of brushes etc. Not the fun part of the job but one I do religiously. Let my neighbor borrow my first gun (harbor freight) several years ago. He returned it and it looked great. Put it up and went to use it later and the inners were all gunked up with the maroon paint he used on his MG :(. He thought he only had to wipe it down.

Good info.

Have you checked out that 3M system with disposable parts that touch the paint?

Good info.

I have. Also seen them used on YouTube. More for a high volume shop I believe. Has taken me a while to graduate to the gun I have and would not change it for anything.

Good info.

I had 3M give us a tutorial lesson at the last job I had. They were trying to convince us to use those things. We would have spent an extra couple hundred bucks a month on disposable parts. It’s a waste. On top of that the guy giving the tutorial couldn’t even get the gun to spray a decent pattern. Nothing beats a simple reliable setup.

Well, I've switched to the Sata RPS cups. They make adapters to fit almost any gun, so it's the cost of the cups after that. Cleans up is a breeze. That said, I switch colours and materials a lot (sometimes have 4 different cups going between 2 or 3 guns), so this is a huge timesaver. But even if that wasn't the case, I'd still use them.
If I can offer any advice on cleanup, it's to get a proper gun wash. Lacquer thinner is not very hot, so it's slow to clean. A gun wash will make cleanup much easier and faster.

Oh - and great work, Jimmy! The truck looks fantastic. Man I love that colour. I missed out on a copper truck when I was first looking to buy my 60, mostly cause I was hesitant, getting a feel for the market. I ended up with a Freeborn Red truck, but wish I had pulled the trigger on the copper...

Last edited:
Well, I've switched to the Sata RPS cups. They make adapters to fit almost any gun, so it's the cost of the cups after that. Cleans up is a breeze. That said, I switch colours and materials a lot (sometimes have 4 different cups going between 2 or 3 guns), so this is a huge timesaver. But even if that wasn't the case, I'd still use them.
If I can offer any advice on cleanup, it's to get a proper gun wash. Lacquer thinner is not very hot, so it's slow to clean. A gun wash will make cleanup much easier and faster.

Oh - and great work, Jimmy! The truck looks fantastic. Man I love that colour. I missed out on a copper truck when I was first looking to buy my 60, mostly cause I was hesitant, getting a feel for the market. I ended up with a Freeborn Red truck, but wish I had pulled the trigger on the copper...
OK Ken...So you've been holding out on us. I need to know how much painting you do and certainly your skill level has to be up there if you're using this system with multiple guns. I know the Sata brand which is one of two my paint supplier sells. He's an old school painter and very outspoken as well. What's great about him is he will spend endless amounts of time educating and providing tips every time I stop by to get material/supplies. Just watched a video on the RPS cups and was impressed. Had not seen that technology and certainly see where it's a benefit. So I'm really curious if you're painting vehicles or something else. Would like to know more on what solvent you use to clean your guns as well.

And thank you for the compliments. As I've mentioned before, it's a labor of love and truly appreciate the challenge. Especially with the metallic which I'm slowly figuring out. The doors and front clip will be important as it's hard to hide any mistakes.

Oh, I have not been holding out at all. I have a woodwork company and I spray wood finishes when my part-time finisher can't keep up. So when I have 4 cups on the go, that probably includes a sealer, lacquer, primer, colour top-coat or something else. I was only trying to suggest that the RPS system is pretty slick, so worth a look. That said, you're happy with your current set-up, and it if it ain't broke.

I think woodwork finishing is easy compared to automotive, so I'm appreciative of the fact that you're documenting your work for all of us to see. One day I might spray my own truck and threads like this will help.

As for solvent, I use a T99 thinner from Innovative. But I don't think this is meant for auto finishes. There must be an auto-paint specific gun wash that is more aggressive than standard lacquer thinner.

It’s not a bright/brilliant color, but clean and I really like it. I’m guessing this was the first 2stage metallic in the cruiser lineup. At least I think it was a base/clear from the factory. May be wrong on that one.
28F0896E-5CF5-4C33-9BE7-73F9B5DB9A42.jpeg
FC092312-A63E-4328-83FB-B5E0767384C3.jpeg
1D61A0AB-3148-4896-9185-3EF474C5DB78.jpeg

Sweet job Jimmy !! :cheers:
Thank you Pete. Appreciate you hanging in the gallery :). Doing some more patchwork on the front clip right now. Will post some pics later tonight. There was an auxiliary antenna or some other reason for a hole in the top of the drivers fender. Anyway…I patched it

Quality work Jimmy! I bought my 60 about a month ago from a nice young fella in Ft Collins… you may know him 😉. I said I didn’t really care about how it looks but I’ve been watching this thread, and seeing the before and after makes me wanna get started making mine pretty too. I’ve never done paint or body work so I wouldn’t know where to start but at least I know it can be done! Keep up the great work!

Quality work Jimmy! I bought my 60 about a month ago from a nice young fella in Ft Collins… you may know him 😉. I said I didn’t really care about how it looks but I’ve been watching this thread, and seeing the before and after makes me wanna get started making mine pretty too. I’ve never done paint or body work so I wouldn’t know where to start but at least I know it can be done! Keep up the great work!
Good to hear from you Al. I feel like I already know you from conversations with McGuire. He enjoyed working with you on the 60 and glad to see it went to a good home. That truck actually belonged to John @4Cruisers since it was new. Anything you need to know about the history is with these two guys :).

I know no one has a free hand when putting in a windshield, but do you think you’d be able to get a couple good photos of the process? It’s something I have to do soon and I haven’t found a good video of how it’s done on a 60… it sounds quite tricky!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom