Need some help near statesville nc (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SFROMAN

SILVER Star
Threads
Good morning.
I was on my way to moab Utah for cruise moab and all of a sudden my trailer lost power. No lights no brakes.

I was hoping maybe there is a club member in the area that could help me trouble shoot and fix the electrical issue.

I’m off I40 at a loves gas station near statesville nc.

I went through and checked the fuses and checked the wiring in the new harness I installed. I couldn’t find any issues.

My plan is to get some rest since I have slept in a few days. Hopefully some responds in that time frame.

If not then I will try to figure it out on my own. If I can’t I will just limp back home and try to fix it there. My goal is to still go to moab so I want to get this fixed. Ideally I can get it fixed without having to go home.

I don’t have a volt meter with me. That would help eliminate and or identify the problem.

Anyway. I figured I would ask.

I’m sure the problem is something real simple and stupid. I am just too tired to think right now.

If you can help. Hit me up through pm and I can send you my phone number and location.

Thanks
Del roman.

Man, I don't know electrical, don't have a volt meter, and haven't even looked up where the loves is off I40. But if you need me, lemme know.

New plan.
There is a huge trailer manufacturer place 20 min north of me. They open at 0900. I am going to call them and see if they can help me out. If they will look at it for me I will drive there. If not I will take another shot at trying to figure out what’s wrong.
If I can’t figure it out, especially without a volt meter, I will just head home and fix it there.

I’m the mean time I’m going to try to get some sleep until that place opens up at 0900

If you have zero power to the trailer (lights, brakes, etc.) and had power before (when you left the house) and you checked the appropriate fuses in your truck (my truck has fuses in the cab and then larger fuses in the engine bay) then I would check to make sure your vehicles trailer harness hasn’t wiggled loose from the backside of the female trailer harness plug.

I had an issue recently and it turned out to be a poor connection at the vehicle harness to trailer 7pin plug on the truck side.

Give me a ring if you want me to walk you through the above.

I checked all fuses in the cab that pertain to the lights. All look good. Going to look in the engine bay now.

Double checked connections at the junction box at trailer. All looks good.

Checked the wire under the trailer and truck and all that looks good nothing loose, dirty, scratched or anything out of the ordinary.

For some reason I feel it’s the truck. Just can’t find the problem. And don’t have a voltmeter to check the 7 pin at the truck.

Going to check To see if there are fuses in the engine bay.

Will update in a bit.

Also hard to tell if maybe a replay is shot. Everything looks super clean and nothing looks black or out of the ordinary. ( the inside fuse box )

This is my truck. Just for SA

2007 Ford F-250 crew cab 4x4 Harley edition with 6.0 diesel
Came with the trailer 7 pin, electric brake controller and outrigger switches.

From Owners Manual (2006 but probably not changed for 2007).
Trailer related fuses (under dash fuse panel):
Fuse....Rating....Description
20.......15A.......Trailer tow Electric Brake Controller (EBC)
28.......10A.......Trailer tow EBC Logic
38.......20A.......Trailer tow park lamps
101.....30A.......Trailer tow EBC
107.....20A.......Trailer tow battery charge
301.....Relay.....Trailer tow battery charge

Under hood fuse panel:
Fuse....Rating....Description
9........20A.......Trailer tow turn signals
20......10A.......Trailer tow back-up lamps
201....Relay.....Trailer tow right turn signal/stop lamp
202....Relay.....Trailer tow left turn signal/stop lamp

@S4Cruiser I'm unfamiliar with EBC's and those types of magic boxes. Would ALL trailer functions run through them? I'm just wondering if a bad controller would kill the trailer lights. It would also mean that a closer look at the 3 EBC fuses in in order. He said it showed no codes, but perhaps there's a reset process he can do to it?

Am I right to assume that a 2007 doesn't have all the same electronic system hoops to jump through for activation (ie press and hold brake pedal 3 seconds) that newer trucks do?

Dam jon

Your a wizard. The owners Manual only mentioned about 1/2 of those.

I am at a trailer shop and they are currently looking g it over.
The owner has an fj80 that he is currently doing a full pain and body on as well as an LS swap.

So naturally I’m sitting here bullshiting with him about Toyotas And the club. So we might get a new club member out of my ordeal.
( since I’m on the subject. Does the club have any business cards? This guy is not the first person to ask me for one. A card with our name and a link to our club website as well as the clubhouse on mud would be awesome and quicker than trying to get a complete stranger to give me his number so I can send them the links)
I’m not sure if they are going to look at the truck but they sounded like they were going to be pretty thorough and test all the systems.

I am willing to bet it is a dang relay that went out because when I put the test light to the 7 pin I got nothing.

I will update once I have more info.

They are also going to do a once over of the whole trailer since I told them I am currently heading out west.

I would highly recommend this place. So far their customer service has been awesome.

A35198C2-A545-459B-8445-C9454802CBE8.jpeg

Hope they get you safely back on the road in short order, Del. Godspeed on your Moab trip dude!

Supposedly they found the issue.
The ground cable to the electric brake on the trailer was completely corroded inside. No way of knowing by looking at at but the guy stripped it and found it.

Hopefully it is fixed and I can get back on the road. Fingers crossed.

safe travels

safe travels Del, hopefully this will be the only dilemma on your journey. I remember a minor issue blessing us our trip to the Rubi.. be safe , wish I was going too...

Supposedly they found the issue.
The ground cable to the electric brake on the trailer was completely corroded inside. No way of knowing by looking at at but the guy stripped it and found it.

Hopefully it is fixed and I can get back on the road. Fingers crossed.
Thats like finding a needle in a haystack.

Yes it was. He found it by accident.

Thanks to everyone that offered to help and who offered assistance through here and through the phone.

The electrical issue was not the only incident of the trip. Had a few more but I still made it to moab Utah at noon today.

55A97ABC-B1AF-4A90-A3F9-69D8035A2E41.jpeg
844465AD-D033-4F9C-9014-5AD384F13A83.jpeg

have a great time Del, hope the weather is pleasant for the adventure...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom