Disc brake conversion question for 1981 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m in the process of a frame off, nut/bolt restoration on a Japanese vin 1981 Fj40. All the kits I can find specify 1975 and older. I have drums on all 4 corners. FWIW, I did use search function and FAQs (maybe not correctly?). Thanks mudders!

598089D6-A871-4267-A9D2-6223612B4E65.jpeg

BBCFA82A-B519-4A3E-8884-5963F413093D.jpeg

EEECCCC4-EBB4-4360-9D50-5FA7D3AF774D.jpeg

A3787398-CEA4-4DC7-9370-B6BE38409DE5.jpeg

78130EBA-27E5-47AF-B46F-286BA1EAB3D2.jpeg

1976 and later USA spec 40s came with disc brake frt ends. You can buy a bolt on kit. It might work, or use all Toyota parts from a donor disc brake frt end. I prefer the latter.

None of the aftermarket kits will fit your knuckles/spindles/hubs.
What you want are the actual Toyota parts.
You will need knuckles and wheel bearing hubs. Obviously rotors/calipers as well.
Luckily since your 40 is +79 you already have the correct birfields and spindles and large-pattern steering arms.

being as your rig is an 81.
get the disc knuckles, hubs and locking hubs from a 79+ mini truck, 40, 55, 60, or 62 series truck
do not get a bolt on kit, stay with Toyota stuff

being as your rig is an 81.
get the disc knuckles, hubs and locking hubs from a 79+ mini truck, 40, 55, 60, or 62 series truck
do not get a bolt on kit, stay with Toyota stuff
Oh wow! Great info. Ok, next hard disc brake question… I just restored the original 16” split rims and have since read somewhere that they may not be disc brake friendly? And if you guys are really in the mood for my dumb questions: can I put hub caps on the 16s?

Thanks so much for the help. You’ve saved me a lot of trouble.

My 1981 BJ44 came from the factory with disc brakes.

You might want to verify if you have the right front axle. Strange things can happen in the lifetime of a 40 year old utility vehicle. Mine went form Japan to New Zealand to Arizona, used hard and put away wet.

Oh wow! Great info. Ok, next hard disc brake question… I just restored the original 16” split rims and have since read somewhere that they may not be disc brake friendly? And if you guys are really in the mood for my dumb questions: can I put hub caps on the 16s?

Thanks so much for the help. You’ve saved me a lot of trouble.

the early 15" rims were riveted together, the later rims are welded. the riveted were for early drum, the welded were for disc
your 81 drums are larger than the early drum brakes and being 16: rims you should clear calipers on disc brakes.
as a quick try, find a local with a disc axle to try your rim on, I'm thinking you will be fine

My 1981 BJ44 came from the factory with disc brakes.

You might want to verify if you have the right front axle. Strange things can happen in the lifetime of a 40 year old utility vehicle. Mine went form Japan to New Zealand to Arizona, used hard and put away wet.
Depends on what market it was for. I've had an 82 and a 83 fj45, both never had discs. Drums on all corners from factory, but that's because both were gen Market 45s. FJ45-RPK 's to be exact. Didn't have the h55 5 speeds like the aussie spec ones got either. Gen market 40s were the bare basics made for Africa and other parts of the world

Depends on what market it was for. I've had an 82 and a 83 fj45, both never had discs. Drums on all corners from factory, but that's because both were gen Market 45s. FJ45-RPK 's to be exact. Didn't have the h55 5 speeds like the aussie spec ones got either. Gen market 40s were the bare basics made for Africa and other parts of the world
Long story short, my father in law ordered it straight from Japan and had it exported to Bolivia. The first two he had in the 70s were manufactured in South America and rusted. Somebody told him to order the next one from Japan. It has a Japanese vin but is left hand drive. That said, it has zero options. No heater, no blower, nothing. I bought him a jeep and sent this to the US about 3 years ago for restoration. He was too old to drive it anymore.

None of the aftermarket kits will fit your knuckles/spindles/hubs.
What you want are the actual Toyota parts.
You will need knuckles and wheel bearing hubs. Obviously rotors/calipers as well.
Luckily since your 40 is +79 you already have the correct birfields and spindles and large-pattern steering arms.
Any idea where to purchase the Toyota parts?

Start here with a wanted ad:

Contact one of the vendors on the forum. My first call would be Georg @orangefj45 at Valley Hybrids.

Contact one of the vendors on the forum. My first call would be Georg @orangefj45 at Valley Hybrids.

I’ll get on that tomorrow! Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom