Educate me on airbag modules (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a few questions concerning the airbag module.

The first one… I am sending my seatbelts off to be reset but does the airbag module also need to be reset in order for said seatbelts to work?

The second… My side curtain airbags have deployed without resetting this module, will the front airbags and the others still deploy regardless or not?

The first one… I am sending my seatbelts off to be reset but does the airbag module also need to be reset in order for said seatbelts to work?

The second… My side curtain airbags have deployed without resetting this module, will the front airbags and the others still deploy regardless or not?
Bump

Check out Safetyrestore.com. I haven't used their services but looks like they know what to do.

Update—I have located that the airbag module is under the center console and radio and on the floor but I am wondering if anyone can tell me how hard this actually is to get too..

Last edited:
no. It's a check cycle at start up.
It's my belief that regardless of having an SRS light on the instrument panel or combo meter it doesn't affect the intact bags and that they will fire normally even with an SRS light.

IF you want to, pull all the relays and fuses, or look at a book and find which ones. Or disconnect the battery and wait a while.

Fyi - there is a recall associated with airbag modules in 100 series lcs. I can’t recall the details.

Fyi - there is a recall associated with airbag modules in 100 series lcs. I can’t recall the details.

I remember one about the side curtain airbags firing prematurely.

If that’s the one that you’re referring to, and this is the vehicle that @ZnowBoard and @Pskhaat previously posted about (rollover, blown side airbags with no intent to fix) it’s probably not terribly relevant.

1- No, seatbelt pretensioners will work regardless of the airbag module.
2- Scan the truck and see the codes that are up. Some airbag modules can be cleared, some will have to be replaced.
3- No, the front airbags will not deploy

I have seen hundreds of situations regarding airbags as I use to run production for a fairly big chain of body shops.
My recommendation is:

1- Scan the truck and write down the codes
2- Check all seatbelts and see which one has the pretensioner deployed. Then replace it.
3- You can install new airbags, they wont deploy if the airbag modules are throwing a code.
4- after replacing airbags that deployed, scan the vehicle again and replace or recalibrate modules throwing codes.

If that’s the one that you’re referring to, and this is the vehicle that @ZnowBoard and @Pskhaat previously posted about (rollover, blown side airbags with no intent to fix) it’s probably not terribly relevant.

Yes. Same vehicle, but interesting.

1- No, seatbelt pretensioners will work regardless of the airbag module.
2- Scan the truck and see the codes that are up. Some airbag modules can be cleared, some will have to be replaced.
3- No, the front airbags will not deploy

I have seen hundreds of situations regarding airbags as I use to run production for a fairly big chain of body shops.
My recommendation is:

1- Scan the truck and write down the codes
2- Check all seatbelts and see which one has the pretensioner deployed. Then replace it.
3- You can install new airbags, they wont deploy if the airbag modules are throwing a code.
4- after replacing airbags that deployed, scan the vehicle again and replace or recalibrate modules throwing codes.
Thank you very much this is Very helpful

Replaced the driver side seat belt pretensioner after getting the associated code running jumpers to the diagnostics plug inside the engine bay. Tried the reset by grounding tc and ab...will fast flash but airbag light still slow blinks. Tried unplugging battery and no dice. Getting code 64 and 74. No way both pretensioners are bad. Any advice?

Not the one i was referring to

Replaced the driver side seat belt pretensioner after getting the associated code running jumpers to the diagnostics plug inside the engine bay. Tried the reset by grounding tc and ab...will fast flash but airbag light still slow blinks. Tried unplugging battery and no dice. Getting code 64 and 74. No way both pretensioners are bad. Any advice?
did you ever solve this?

did you ever solve this?
For me, I did. FWIW, just sent in the seatbelts to a place to have them re-armed and reset. Took about 2 weeks. Reinstalled, and though the airbag light is on (due to the side curtains) runs like a dream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom